Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

the monarchy - what to do

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Originally posted by Fiend_85
    Without any particularly good reason, I like having a monarchy, it's something I'm proud of, but for no real reason, I just grew up like that, but not because I'm in a house full of royalists or anything, I just like them.
    fairynuff!
    but ...i never did understand how people can have pride in anything they had nowt to do with ...
  • Options
  • Options
    I think it's worth pointing out that the Royal Family actually contribute a net profit to the UK treasury (and no that doesn't include the tourism they generate) which makes all these ridiculous posts about them being "parasitic scum" completely moot.

Honestly, I'll wager that at least half the advocates of getting rid of the monarchy do so because they resent the wealth of the Royal Family, not for any actual sound constitutional reason.

If we rid ourselves of the Royal Family not only will we be around £100million down every year, we'll be left with yet another soulless baby kissing politician as our head of state.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Disillusioned
    Spain has a Royal Family. I couldn’t care less whether the Spanish keep it or get rid of it. May I ask why the British Royal Family is of such great concern to you?
    Not a great concern Disillusioned- simply bursting an old and tired myth about how the royals bring those millions of tourists.

Having dealt with tourists practically on a daily basis for ten years now through work, I can assure you that I cannot recall a single one of them ever naming the Royal Family as the main reason (or even as one of the reasons) for their visiting.
  • Options
    Originally posted by UpsetChap
    I think it's worth pointing out that the Royal Family actually contribute a net profit to the UK treasury (and no that doesn't include the tourism they generate) which makes all these ridiculous posts about them being "parasitic scum" completely moot.

Honestly, I'll wager that at least half the advocates of getting rid of the monarchy do so because they resent the wealth of the Royal Family, not for any actual sound constitutional reason.

If we rid ourselves of the Royal Family not only will we be around £100million down every year, we'll be left with yet another soulless baby kissing politician as our head of state.

The thing is that there is a sound constitutional reason for replacing the monarchy with something else. As things stand at the moment within the UK's political system, we effectively have a tyranny of the Commons - whichever party is elected to a decent majority there can do whatever they want (as we see with the current government's use of the Parliament Act to force through legislation including the Fox Hunting Bill), and there is nothing to act as a check or balance. The government can over-ride the second chamber, ignore the Law Lords, and the monarch's power is entirely symbolic. The reason America has 2 houses of representatives and a president, alongside an independent judiciary is because it seperates power out, and (ideally) doesn't allow it all to be concentrated in one place.
  • Options
    I don't mind them, they aren't a major source of concern in my day to day life.

They manage to outrage a hell of a lot of slighty narroiw minded people though, so it's all good :thumb:
  • Options
    should we have a monarchy?

I stumbled across this thread after watching "Nicholas and Alexandra" (70's film about the Russian 'Royal' Family) and it made me curious about other peoples opinion about our own Royal Family.
    Personally I cant see why we cant get rid of them, but not have a President as well.... couldnt we just have a Goverment as we do now? They seem to do all the work..?
    Fair enough I may be young and fairly 'un-political', but I was brought up to sing hymms about someone I dont know, and dont know why they are here, or what they do for me directly. Surely government make the decisions about the how the country is run?
    On the debate about tourism/royal costs, it may be interesting to read the article posted here, http://www.guardian.co.uk/monarchy/story/0,2763,1247033,00.html as I can always read or hear about all the costs they run up, but I never see a share of the profits from toursim. I can see the tax leaving my wages every month though.
    As long as people have a say, and our money is going where we want it to, who needs the royals? Im not disputing what good they may have done in the past, but it is the future and theyre doing nowt, as far as the youth of today are concerned.
  • Options
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/3701086.stm

what would you do with it

IMHO i think its the least bad option we have, we couldnt have a president here, itd be a goal for all fuckin celebs, and well the elections etc would be an utter joke to democracy, and also the queen has virtually zero power anyway, other than deciding prime minister on a hung parliament, which isnt too much since its a hung parliament anyway

a president would do more harm than good

make them all into a thick soup broth thing, and feed the world
  • Options
    the very first poster to answer was a ROYALIST AND THE VERY FIRST THING HE BRUNGED UP IN THEIR DEFENCE WAS THE TOURIST OOPS CAPS ... bollox ...admitting they are a fucking circus atraction full of freaks is no excuse to retain them!
    blackpool tower is a tourist atraction bu when the rust sets in ...it will be replaced.
  • Options
    or make them into bracelets, support charity, buy prince charles a new girlfriend with the proceeds
  • Options
    and camilla the catholic whore!
    surely this brings it down to the bare bones of fucking ludicrous.
  • Options
    *deleted for redundancy*
  • Options
    God no, leave them in charge. As long as the Queen is named on all prosecutions and she is unavailable for cross examination I can't have a fair trial and any accusation against "the state" gets booted from court.
  • Options
    what the feck are you on about?

thats why they have juries, and even if the queen could be called as a witness, the court wouldnt allow it as her testimony couldnt be relevant
  • Options
    her majesties prison may well become camillas house of correction.
  • Options
    As the queen is named as the offended party on all court documents where you have broken a "state" law, the prosecution has to name which of her legal rights has been violated. As there are two conflicting principals...

1- I am allowed to face my accuser

2-The queen can't be cross examined

The case can't proceed.
  • Options
    except the case can proceed and foes hundereds of times a week

ignorance such as in the case of you in no defence of the law, and you have no right to view your accuser
  • Options
    klintock wrote:
    As the queen is named as the offended party on all court documents where you have broken a "state" law, the prosecution has to name which of her legal rights has been violated. As there are two conflicting principals...

1- I am allowed to face my accuser

2-The queen can't be cross examined

The case can't proceed.
    look mate ...it's ok to be a dreamer but ...in order to dream you gotta still be asleep.
  • Options
    Lol.

You DO have the right to face your accuser. The magistrate will tell you so. He will also tell you that the queen is the accuser. He will also that you can't interview the queen.

Providing you ask. Now..if you state a position the magistrate will tell you are wrong. If you ask him questions he'll happy answer and contradict himself and then the whole thing falls down. Most people sit there assuming they will get a fair trial but as the magistrate is paid for by the same people who bring the case it isn't too likely is it?
  • Options
    klintock wrote:
    Lol.

You DO have the right to face your accuser. The magistrate will tell you so. He will also tell you that the queen is the accuser. He will also that you can't interview the queen.

Providing you ask. Now..if you state a position the magistrate will tell you are wrong. If you ask him questions he'll happy answer and contradict himself and then the whole thing falls down. Most people sit there assuming they will get a fair trial but as the magistrate is paid for by the same people who bring the case it isn't too likely is it?
    klint ...i'd say change the fucking record already but ...you have painted your self into such a corner that you can't change the fucking record now cois ...every single thing you ever post will be meaningless unless you can constantly refer oit back to this hypothetical fantasy bollox!
  • Options
    erm you dont have that right

i was with a friend in court the other day
    and where was the accuser, nowhere to be seen

and just because you have comitted a crime against the state, doesnt mean it is the state that is accusing you

theres a difference between prosecution and accusing
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Monarchy is now a waste of cash. It has no power and contribute nothing but ceremony and takes your taxes to live off of.

You want to waste money on another useless stupid thing? ITS IS YOUR TAXES! They could be reinvested into public services, you know!
  • Options
    any other family who brings their kids up like this lot ...and earns money whilst getting state bennefits would be reported to social services not fucking worshipped.
  • Options
    The Prince of Wales, to name one person and one example in our troubled but still dignified and uniquely aristocratic Monarchy, has done more for young people and children in need then any one else since Thomas Barnardo. He has my unconditional respect and admiration. It genuinely disheartens me to read the misguided, unwarranted and overly excessive loathing of our royal family a shockingly large number of people are beginning to embrace.
  • Options
    The Prince of Wales, to name one person and one example in our troubled but still dignified and uniquely aristocratic Monarchy, has done more for young people and children in need then any one else since Thomas Barnardo. .
    slippy ...you know diddly shit then about the people with fuck all to their names who give time and effort endlessly for all manner of people in need.
    without any glory or big cheesy smiles for the cameras.
    what exactly do you mean uniquely aristocractic?
    half brain fucking inbreeds or what?

seems camilas family have been pimping for the royals for generations!
  • Options
    her majesties prison may well become camillas house of correction.
    I think I've got that on DVD... :chin:
  • Options
    dirty bugger ...
    Kentish wrote:
    I think I've got that on DVD... :chin:
  • Options
    :lol:

ps I like the queen. She's sound.
  • Options
    Kentish wrote:
    :lol:

ps I like the queen. She's sound.
    your on speaking terms then?
  • Options
    your on speaking terms then?
    Only the once. You have to say ma'am to rhyme with jam you know. :yes:

I can't think of any reason to dislike the woman. She is genuine enough.