Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Educational Maintainance Allowance (EMA)

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
If you're worried about being short of cash if you carry on studying in England.
Once the money is in your bank account, it's up to you how you spend it. Only you know what you need the money for that week - whether it's books, equipment, getting around, contributing towards family income or any other costs that add up when you're studying.

What is EMA?

Or drinking, clothes, cinema...

Ahem.

EMA. Is it worthwhile? Do you think it is better that children stay on in education because they actually want to or because they're being paid to?

When I was in the sixth form my school took part in a pilot scheme for EMA. Only those students who lived in Gateshead could get the money (the school I went to is in Gateshead) but because I, and a lot of other students, lived in the Sunderland LEA area we didn't receive anything (which I'm more than happy about, I intended to study A-Levels regardless of the cash advantages)

Those in the Gateshead area who received the money tended to be taking courses such as GNVQs rather than A-Levels and they all freely admitted that they spent their dosh on getting pissed and buying clothes. Textbooks were provided by the school, as was paper and other materials. Transport to school was quick and simple - they all walked. So why did these people need the money? A close friend received £20 a week EMA allowance that he used every Friday night down the pub.

Of course, there will be those people who this money genuinely helps - those who have to travel a great distance to study, or people on a course where textbooks are not provided.

Is EMA simply a ploy by the government to reduce levels of youth unemployment? Is it a 'bribe'? How many people stay on in education even though they don't really want, or don't have the capacity for it, or the intellectual need for it, simply because they fancy two or three extra years of dosing?

Obviously my own view of EMA is quite obvious, but I don't apologise for it. I don't think children should be paid to learn.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    The thinking behind the EMA is sound; some kids are forced by parents to leave school at 16 because the family needs the income, and cannot support the child any longer. That is a fact, and the rationale behind the EMA.

It doesn't work, of course. The poorest families aren't swayed by the EMA, £30 a week isn't a lot of money when a kid could earn five times that behind a till at Burger King. Those who take the EMA would go to college or sixth form anyway, so it's effectively free money to spend down the pub on a Friday; few parents would demand it off their children.

It's a great idea in theory, but it is deeply flawed and is money down the drain. Literally.
    Originally posted by Kermit
    The thinking behind the EMA is sound; some kids are forced by parents to leave school at 16 because the family needs the income, and cannot support the child any longer. That is a fact, and the rationale behind the EMA.

It doesn't work, of course. The poorest families aren't swayed by the EMA, £30 a week isn't a lot of money when a kid could earn five times that behind a till at Burger King. Those who take the EMA would go to college or sixth form anyway, so it's effectively free money to spend down the pub on a Friday; few parents would demand it off their children.

It's a great idea in theory, but it is deeply flawed and is money down the drain. Literally.

thing is its ok if a child voluntarily gives up the money to help support the family, but if they are forced its dodgy

and what some people around here need to be aware, this is a benefit just as much as any other

In theory it is a fantastic idea, but the government must know that it isn't spent on what they introduced it for?

My brother got it last year. He was always late, didn't do his homework and was even suspended from school for two weeks and he still got the end of term bonuses which required full attendence etc. The mind boggles!

Yes, I am aware my brother sounds like a right idiot, he is, but that isn't the issue!
    Originally posted by MrG
    and what some people around here need to be aware, this is a benefit just as much as any other

Meaning what?
    Your household income has to be under £30,000 per year.

I reckon most people would qualify for something, unless I'm being rather naive about how much people earn. :confused:
    i got it

part of its reasoning is that is that it stops many people doing loads of hours in a part time job as well as college, doing detriment to their education

people do need to earn money in education and well doing 20+ hours in part time work on top of 21 hours college work and coursework as well, does noone any good

my college recomneded no more than 8-10 hours a week part time work ie weekends
    Originally posted by wheresmyplacebo
    i got it

part of its reasoning is that is that it stops many people doing loads of hours in a part time job as well as college, doing detriment to their education

people do need to earn money in education and well doing 20+ hours in part time work on top of 21 hours college work and coursework as well, does noone any good

my college recomneded no more than 8-10 hours a week part time work ie weekends

But who actually takes any notice of that, really? I agree that having a part time job and studying isn't ideal, but if you're academic (and I truely believe you should be to do A-Levels) then it is all part of the challenge.
    Originally posted by BumbleBee
    But who actually takes any notice of that, really? I agree that having a part time job and studying isn't ideal, but if you're academic (and I truely believe you should be to do A-Levels) then it is all part of the challenge.

erm if you read what i wrote, theres a difference between a part time job which you can fit in with your studies that actually benefits you, and doing over 20-25 hours a week of part time work on top of college(which in cases can be almost 30 hours a week) which can be seriously damaging to your education
    I reckon most people would qualify for something, unless I'm being rather naive about how much people earn. :confused:

If you earn more than about £20k it is barely worth claiming it, for the amount you get.

It's a sweetener for the scuffers who vote Labour, in my most honest opinion. It's so Blair can pretend he cares about the poor.
  • JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    Good idea - often wasted.

(Including myself)
    I think that for the number of people it genuinely helps there must be some other way. The current system is far too easy to abuse and manipulate.
    If you earn more than about £20k it is barely worth claiming it, for the amount you get.

It's a sweetener for the scuffers who vote Labour, in my most honest opinion. It's so Blair can pretend he cares about the poor.

sort of true my mum was £3k over the initial threshhold of £18k and it had fell to £20, which paid for my travelcard just about with a couple of quid left over
    the more dosh thats circulated out of browns piggy bank to the people the better ...who gives a fuck what it gets spent on!
    it all ends up in the hands of employers anyhow.
    Originally posted by wheresmyplacebo
    sort of true my mum was £3k over the initial threshhold of £18k and it had fell to £20, which paid for my travelcard just about with a couple of quid left over

In some areas you can get a bus pass as well as EMA. I'm pretty sure I read that in another forum only this evening.
    Meaning what?

i was on about lukesh thinking it was just something he got as normal and not a beenfit

hence the whole benefit row with him
    In some areas you can get a bus pass as well as EMA. I'm pretty sure I read that in another forum only this evening.

oh my council was testing out replacing that system for college students with EMA - they kept fobbing me off, anyway tey would of took it away from my ema, since its like any other means tested benefit

it helps stop kids doing 20/30 hour weeks at work on top of collge work, it did for me so its a useful thing, done 8 hours of work a week, on top of 22 hours of college a week, which dont include outside reading or coursework so imo it stops people completly working away their lives when they have college/coursework etc to do

fact is people will take short term rewards (pay for shoddy job) rather than take the dead road for a period of time to improve their end pay
    I received it and i know think it is bad thing.

I taught me little/nothing about the real world whne i got into uni, a part time job has taught me the life skills required, how to join a union to stop myself being f**ked over, how to manage a monthly wage (as opposed to £4.82 every week from EMA)

I came out of college - I had £4.8. every week, i could usually spend it on a magazine/trip to town at the end of month and our family allowance would also support my shopping!

I have now started uni and have needed to learn to work, fit in other commitments such as voluntary work, reading, coursework and education alongside having to earn money each month (£130 - job take £96 tuition fees (every month), £30 for bus) i have £4 left each month.

it started off in 2001 i received £4.82 because dad earned under £30,000 but last year he had to work 10x harder to keep us going so did much overtime, this was counted this year and i pay full amount.

i went to uni not having any idea about money for responsibility, i care about my education and understand that i need to work hard to fund it, those who cannot be bothered or only do so for the money should not bother.

I was always annoyed that those who recieved the full £30 every week (£120 a month) would spend the money on mid week clubbing miss sixth form and still get the payments. some people should not be given money.

I feel that it should be completely reward based, put in the work and attend everyday then very well, when the head/teacher/tutor knows of a time when a certain student is struggling with money they can then award/give a contribution towards educational costs.

FOR EXAMPLE

a school field trip or a special book, or a teacher knows that they need transport, it wouldnt be too difficult to look at attendance and effort and say "you have put much effort into your work and i can see you are having trouble, take this cheque/or bus voucher/ or book/ or speacial clothing to help you out, or i the "hardship fund can pay for your school trip!

That way we know that the money is well spent and not just booze money.
    Originally posted by lukesh
    (And the college is full of snobs too).

Meaning?
    "If you get EMa.... YUK"

Basically... snobs think they are better than us "common folk".

What's that got to do with anything? Other than the fact you're probably wrong again.
    for fucks sake here we a fucking gain!!

here you go again making out you run my life that you are me.... how do you know what fucking happens? piss of you bitch!!!

Answer the question.
    piss of bitch!

Answer the question.
    fuck u eat another pie and make ya self fat!!!

I'm a size 10. ETA: and play sport for Lboro Uni.

Answer the question.
    If I understood what you just said, I'd respond, but I can't. So I suggest you answer the question.
    right i'll b the adult and stop replying to u!!!

Or, you could answer the question.
    it's not that difficult a concept is it really luke, answering questions. i do recall you were havinga go at people not answering your questions in the hair dye thread.
    Originally posted by Fiend_85
    Meaning?
    Hate-filled little tosspot that he is, I feel that this question was an unnecessary diversion from the topic.
    Originally posted by Uncle Joe
    Hate-filled little tosspot that he is, I feel that this question was an unnecessary diversion from the topic.

Actually, he answered that. The question that diverted the topic, and I hardly see how that's my problem, was "What does that have to do with anything?".
    What's that got to do with anything? Other than the fact you're probably wrong again.

For fucks sake. What's wrong with you guys?

People above 50 year of age and people who come on the boards claiming to have damn good qualifications. Yet you fucking have nothing better to do than to rip him apart everytime he says something.
    Maybe he threw in the comment about the snobs, because he has mentioned them before, or because that he wanted to state that the school wasn't filled with one type of students? Why do you even care? Why do you have to act like an east-german bitch on steroids when writing to him?

And btw fiend, his definition of snob is correct.

So instead of focusing on the fact that lukesh took time out to write the post, and improved his writing majorly for the sake of this issue which probably concerns him, you chose to go on with your natural route of giving him grief. Congratulations.

As I wrote in the othe thread I don't condone many of his statements, but I understand the frustration when he asks a genuine question and people lead the thread to something completely different getting a kick out of dissing him.
    I don't give a shit about his definition. I want to know what the fuck it's got to do with anything. I fail to see how you can defend his behaviour.
    I don't give a shit about his definition. I want to know what the fuck it's got to do with anything. I fail to see how you can defend his behaviour.

I don't defend his behvior, I condemn yours.
    You're no better than a playground bully.

Also, I am suspicious that this thread was again made in another attempt to wind him up.