Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Tongue Questions

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I know there are millions of topics on tongue piercings, but two questions.. I'm planning to get it pierced tomorrow, but I have a mermanent retainer on the inside of my teeth, will that cause any problems?

Also, is smoking going to make it much worse?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Originally posted by rachie004
    I have a question too - how long can you leave them out for before they close up?

i took mine out to get my wisdom teeth out. took it out just before i went to theatre, was in theatre for half an hour, recovery for half an hour, slept for two hours, tried to get it back in, and it wouldn't go.

so pretty damn quickly, in my case.

*vanishes again*
    I have a question too - how long can you leave them out for before they close up?

My mum can leave hers out for more than a month at a time with out putting it back in every few hours and it just slides back in for her. I've never taken mine out for longer than changing the bar.
    Mine fell out once while watchign a rugby match and I didnt have a mirror to help me put it back in, it was out bout 40mins before I had chance to put it back in and it was a struggle.
    Re: Tongue Questions
    Originally posted by Blackraven
    I know there are millions of topics on tongue piercings, but two questions.. I'm planning to get it pierced tomorrow, but I have a mermanent retainer on the inside of my teeth, will that cause any problems?

Hehe, it is highly recommended not to smoke during the healing of a fresh tongue piercing. But, if you must smoke, make sure clean your piercing thoroughly after every fag.

Ilora x
    can I get a tongue coloured plastic thing thatd just sit there and look unnoticed?

yeah...course you can! We sell them at my work, but they might have some at www.bodyjewelleryshop.co.uk :)

And the length of time it takes to close depends on how long you have had it pierced for, but tongue piercings close super quickly...
    I want mine doing but I'm chicken and knowing my luck, my tongue would fall off or something. :(
    Originally posted by lucifer devil
    I want mine doing but I'm chicken and knowing my luck, my tongue would fall off or something. :(

your the one at Lincoln Uni right?If I remember. If you want it done go to Blue Banana near the market, I had mine done there just over a year ago and I've had no problems with it at all.
    Originally posted by *milky way*
    your the one at Lincoln Uni right?If I remember. If you want it done go to Blue Banana near the market, I had mine done there just over a year ago and I've had no problems with it at all.

Yeh I am, thanks.

Where's the market? :confused:
    It's next to Wlkinsons in town, and thats behind Dorothy Perkins.
    Re: Tongue Questions
    Originally posted by Blackraven

Your piercer will be able to tell you if it'll cause any problems...least if theyre half good and proffesional about it.

Wouldnt smoke if i was you..i mean, do you really want to go through the hassle of salt-soaking/mouthwashing/whatever your chosen form of cleanser is after every fag you smoke...might aswell just kick the habit for a fortnight.

And for the other people:
    Piercings close up at different rates for every person and also different piercings close up at different rates...but generally the longer you've had it, the longer it will last. For example, ive had my lip done for 2 1/2 years nowand i can leave it out for 12 hours without any problems.
    General rule = if you dont have to leave it out, then dont.

Retainers or tongue coloured plastic things as they might be known - dont get them in fresh/healing piercings. Theyre usually made from some form of acryllic and such a substance isnt helpful to the healing process due to its porous (sp?) nature.

Peace
    Originally posted by *milky way*
    It's next to Wlkinsons in town, and thats behind Dorothy Perkins.

Cheers!