Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

The Good Things About War

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
There's always more then one way to look at any subject so lets try this and get your brain cells working.

Name some good things about war.. some of the benefits it brings to people. We all agree war is bad but wars tend to be catalysts to advancements in many areas.

I'll start ...

1) Wars and provision of equipment to facilitate it or create defence equipment creates many jobs, e.g. building planes, building ships, etc.

2) It has in the past helped women to be accepted into mainstream life enjoyed by men, for instance in WW2 women took on many of the jobs that would only have been reserved for men in the past, but as men were needed in the war women were there to take over jobs they other wise might have had a harder time to get.

3) Technology created in defence projects can often be used for peaceful purposes, e.g. the invention of Radar used to detect enemy planes also helps keep civilian planes safe in the air..

Those are a few examples I'm sure I could think of more but lets see if other can contribute and keep to topic ..

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    okay so some good can come from war, but i personally dont think war itself is a good thing.
    i think its a shame that people have to go to war, but there is a need for it to keep world security, there is too much loss involved in war that could have been used more constuctivley.

the more advanced our "war" technology gets the more dangous our world will become, what we already know from previous wars aids us so you can say that is a benifit, but on the other hand it aids others too, they then set to work on a new project to combat our technology.....where does it stop though? will people say they are fed up competing? or will it be a case of, carry on untill we make something that we dont fully understand and rid the world of everything?
    01j01 You've missed the point TOTALLY.

I guess war was the only way to stop Hitler, and similar genuinly dangerous dictators.
    It unifies countries with a solid alliance and common goal.
    It provides a job even in peacetime where 'unemployable' people can get training for jobs outside the army.
    war!....
    what is it good for ...?
    huh

absolutely nothing, but got for the rush hour
    Originally posted by MrG
    huh

absolutely nothing,
    say it agen!
    Re: The Good Things About War
    Originally posted by DiamondGeezer
    There's always more then one way to look at any subject so lets try this and get your brain cells working.

Name some good things about war.. some of the benefits it brings to people. We all agree war is bad but wars tend to be catalysts to advancements in many areas.

I'll start ...

1) Wars and provision of equipment to facilitate it or create defence equipment creates many jobs, e.g. building planes, building ships, etc.

2) It has in the past helped women to be accepted into mainstream life enjoyed by men, for instance in WW2 women took on many of the jobs that would only have been reserved for men in the past, but as men were needed in the war women were there to take over jobs they other wise might have had a harder time to get.

3) Technology created in defence projects can often be used for peaceful purposes, e.g. the invention of Radar used to detect enemy planes also helps keep civilian planes safe in the air..

Those are a few examples I'm sure I could think of more but lets see if other can contribute and keep to topic ..

thats only for countries who aint directly involved, ie their land, thats why only usa profitted from 2nd world war, it killed our economy
    it's sad that people are always churning out the so called benefits of war ...radar etc ...
    humans are clever creatures but not clever enough sadly. we will invent our own destruction cos we cannot live with our creations.

somehow ...building instead of destroying could be more profitable but it seems beyond us to work out how.
    if conscription was brought back ...but not into the 'armed' forces but into the nation building forces ...people would recieve an amazing education about the world.
    'peace troops' ...sent out from all over the world to build and transform the third world and disaster areas ...providing jobs and skills ...ships and planes would have to be built along with bridges instead of tanks ...but it is beyond us.
    Originally posted by morrocan roll
    somehow ...building instead of destroying could be more profitable but it seems beyond us to work out how.
    if conscription was brought back ...but not into the 'armed' forces but into the nation building forces ...people would recieve an amazing education about the world.
    'peace troops' ...sent out from all over the world to build and transform the third world and disaster areas ...providing jobs and skills ...ships and planes would have to be built along with bridges instead of tanks ...but it is beyond us.

I think it would be good if we had some kind of national scheme for people to go into (if they wanted) where they could do similar things to the army and navy without the killing element. e.g. getting to travel the world and help provide humanitian aid to people in person, maybe first start off by helping people in their local communities and earning experience to help them progress to an international scheme, where maybe they could work with other young people from other countries on a similar kind of scheme. I know there are charities out there that do similar work but a national scheme would gain more attention.
  • SkiveSkive Posts: 15,282 Skive's The Limit
    The biggest technology to benifit from war has to be medical science.
    Weekender Offender 
    yarr i been waiting to post in here all night and finally someone does, im saved

yeh medical science would mean i should die at the age of 40 if it wasnt for lots of dead bodies on the battle field
    War is good for raising our technology.
    The only reason we have pc's, microwave ovens, aircraft that can fly faster than speed of sound, space travel is because it was all developed for wartime and then improved upon.
    It's very likely that if we hadn't had a first or second world war life would be a lot different now.
    Originally posted by morrocan roll
    it's sad that people are always churning out the so called benefits of war ...radar etc ...
    humans are clever creatures but not clever enough sadly. we will invent our own destruction cos we cannot live with our creations.

And wrong actually - for example, with WWII the real advancement in science came in the 1930s; what we had in the '40s was the application of this new knowledge into war-ready technology.

And don't you think that compelling people to 'help the less fortunate' might not be the best way to go about things? Far better if people choose to help surely?
    Originally posted by lukesh
    Where is the UN?
    An irrelevant institution.
    its in new york
    Where is the UN? You tell me!
    Gone fishin'.
    A thread that suggests war can be a good thing? can't happen on this site - they are all a bunch if pacifists!

i think you'll find there are very few pacifists here luke ...if any at all.
    if there are any...why do you use the term in a derogative manner?
    as for africa ...we don't give ...we deal.
    ethiopia ...when the food stopped growing guess what ...all the luxury crops planted for western consumption carried on growing cos that was the land that your donations had irrigated ...it was also the best land.
    it was growing rubber, tobbacco, sisal ...stuff you can't eat.
    thats the kind of aid that western governments like to deal out ...not give.
    invade africa ...have you any idea at all how fucking big africa is ...how many countries it holds?
    Originally posted by felis
    Far better if people choose to help surely?
    of course but have you seen peoples attitudes about tax increases?
    the wealthiest handful of people on the planet ...us ...and few will even dip in their pockets with their ultra short attention spans ...hic!

I'll start ...

Good christ you aren't actually suggesting that these even come close to compensating for the sad (and many times unnecessary) loss of life are you?
    the post is dead....
    but I'll comment anyhow.
    The point is, without war life would be a LOT different today. Technology has only advanced because at some point there was a percieved wartime purpose.
    Without war, there would be no internet. There would be no microwave ovens, aircraft wuld still be flying using propellors and 200mph and most travel would be by ship.
    Good christ you aren't actually suggesting that these even come close to compensating for the sad (and many times unnecessary) loss of life are you?

Not in a direct comparison, no. But wars will happen whether you like it or not. But others are saved through the advances in technology we see as a result.

Lives are lost on a daily basis, usually pointless deaths than those lost fighting for freedom or to defend our way of life. Yet I see no complaints about that...
    yes but couldn't someone make the argument that if the money dedicated to creating technology for war was instead directed into research that such advancements as the ones listed could be achieved at much less of a cost?
    Today, because of the advent of modren technology in war, war is no longer the mass slaughter it used to be.

War can therefore often be the most humane action to take, eg Iraq.
    LOL. Have you been paying any attention to the results of American "precision" bombings?

Or the tens of thousands of civilians killed by US bombs.

Or the million of unexploded cluster bombs that will kill up to 100,000 Iraqis over the next decade.

Or the countless depleted uranium shells littering Iraq that have caused another 100,000 deaths or hideous birth defects.

Humane my arse.
    Today, because of the advent of modren technology in war, war is no longer the mass slaughter it used to be.

You really seem to have a very tenuous grasp on reality.
    When precision bombs go awry they kill lots of people, but they tend to kill less than the area bombing of WW2.

The Modern doctrine followed by NATO countries is based on causing confusion and wrecking equipment, more than killing people. Lots more money and resources on wrecking comms, targeting is a hell of a lot stricter (more so in the British than the Americans).

A division which can't move because you've knocked out the bridge they were going to cross with a precision missile is out of the battle. If a division doesn't know what to do because their HQ has been reduced to a pile of blazing rubble it is out of battle.

The men in both these divisions will probably surrender or run away. Very few of them will fight and die. They will certainly kill less of your men.

No war is humane - but modern war is more humane than it used to be.
    Wars are still far way off from being "humane" though.

Well way off.

And as such wars should only be used as a very last deterrent, instead of as a convenient way to make money and secure oil sources. Or even to oust people who are not our friends (even though they used to be).
    NQA wrote:
    When precision bombs go awry they kill lots of people, but they tend to kill less than the area bombing of WW2.

The Modern doctrine followed by NATO countries is based on causing confusion and wrecking equipment, more than killing people. Lots more money and resources on wrecking comms, targeting is a hell of a lot stricter (more so in the British than the Americans).

A division which can't move because you've knocked out the bridge they were going to cross with a precision missile is out of the battle. If a division doesn't know what to do because their HQ has been reduced to a pile of blazing rubble it is out of battle.

The men in both these divisions will probably surrender or run away. Very few of them will fight and die. They will certainly kill less of your men.

No war is humane - but modern war is more humane than it used to be.
    what a pile of bollocks!
    your scenarios only work in a battle context of a super power fighting a third world army.
    todays wars target civilians more than ever before in history.

War can therefore often be the most humane action to take, eg Iraq.

hmm, and you've been living under which rock for the past 50 years

war/humame, look at the contradiction you fool.
    what a pile of bollocks!
    your scenarios only work in a battle context of a super power fighting a third world army.
    todays wars target civilians more than ever before in history.

Prob should have made clear I was talking about conventional - but I thought that was the context we were talking in.

Tribal wars there something else - but its not technology doing the killing there - its the good old fashioned AK-47 and the machette.
    NQA wrote:
    its the good old fashioned AK-47 and the machette.

yea cos AK-47's are known to grow on trees :rolleyes: