Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.
Options

BT basic

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Look I know you lot out there have broadband so do some good for the world and aswer this=- can I connect broadband to 2 computers using the bt basic package

Comments

• Options
    According the the BT Broadband website, you can only connect one computer to the BT Broadband Basic service.

However, I have no idea how this is implemented. I do know that if you take the BT Broadband Basic package, you get an ADSL modem. If you take the BT Broadband package, you get an ADSL modem/router.

Therefore, they may refer to what you can do with the package as supplied. I have no idea what would be possible if you were to supply and connect you own ADSL modem/router.

Take note of the big difference in download limits between the two packages too.

Cheers,

Intrinsic
  • Options
    erm if you got the package which comes with the BT Voyager 105 ADSL modem its usb based

so theres a chance you could use ICS (internet connection sharing) to implement something, but i dont know and too tipsy to care about anything other then my 5kg of cadburys choccy and my slag of a huge tray of bottled beers
  • Options
    I don't honestly know. I've just set up BT Basic broadband on my Dad's PC. The modem is a USB modem, and is powered by the PC through the USB port. So that means you have to have access through the PC it's connected to.
    It says that you can only have one computer connected via the Basic service, but I'm not sure if that's because the modem plugs into one computer only, or if it's possible to set up Internet Sharing. Would be nice if that's possible.
    Only one thing to do. Connect both machines via network cards & cables, then run the Internet Sharing wizard on both machines to see if it's possible.
  • Options
    not that ICS has ever failed to work just because the computers disliked each other yet the settings were all ok
  • Options
    Originally posted by MrG
    not that ICS has ever failed to work just because the computers disliked each other yet the settings were all ok
    I nearly threw our computer out the window when it decided to work one minute & not the next. We ended up selling one lol.
  • Options
    IS the modem installed to your computer or external? Maybe I could plug the modem into the comp I wanted the internet o?
  • Options
    most broadband modems are external