Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.
Options

Digital Camera

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Happy Christmas everyone! :)

I'm interested in buying a 3.2 mexapixel Nikon digital camera but I'm not sure what size memory card to get for it. If I take a picture at the highest quality will the photo be 3.2Mb? If not is it possible to work out what the Mb size of the picture will be at full quality? I'm trying to work out how many photos I could fit on a card.

Thanks for your help

Comments

• Options
    I would recommend getting a 256mb card if you wanna take random high quality photos.

If its a hobby then i recommend getting a 512mb if you can.

They will be a few mb each i rekon.
  • Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    If you have a 3.2 Megapixel, then you should be able to fit on about 10 pics on 16MB card at full quality, then 20 (32 meg), 40 (64 meg), 80, 150 up to 300 odd pictures on a 512MB card.

The number of pixels <> the size of the image, though, so no, a single picture at the max resolution is not 3.2Meg. It also depends on how much the images are compressed.
  • Options
    I have the Olympus C765UZ. The default picture setting is 2288x1712 (4MP) at high quality Jpeg, and they end up as being 1 meg per photo i.e. 260-ish photos on a 256 card.