Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

extra rights for cso's

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/4119011.stm

what do you think, i think an increase in normal police officers is more important than an increase in CSO powers

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Re: extra rights for cso's
    Originally posted by wheresmyplacebo
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/4119011.stm

what do you think, i think an increase in normal police officers is more important than an increase in CSO powers
    we have more coppers than anytime in history.
    the problem is ...real coppers cost a lot to train and pay and few want tax rises to pay for the things they need so ...cso's have been put in place which i think is a fantastic supplement to the real thing.
    the increased powers aren't draconian the way i understand it.
    they will be able to detain you for half an hour and take your name and address ...if you refuse the details or do a runner you will have committed an offence.
    i'm all for it.
    Re: Re: extra rights for cso's
    Originally posted by morrocan roll
    we have more coppers than anytime in history.
    the problem is ...real coppers cost a lot to train and pay and few want tax rises to pay for the things they need so ...cso's have been put in place which i think is a fantastic supplement to the real thing.
    the increased powers aren't draconian the way i understand it.
    they will be able to detain you for half an hour and take your name and address ...if you refuse the details or do a runner you will have committed an offence.
    i'm all for it.

theyre less trained to deal with confrontations though, my objection to them, they dont try to deal with actual troublemakers, they normallyignore them and go for people spitting etc which no matter how grotesque, doesnt stop crimes
    Re: extra rights for cso's
    i think an increase in normal police officers is more important than an increase in CSO powers

that would not solve problems because the main problem we have is that police officers spend too much time filling paper work out. what they need to do is supply all police officers with dictaphones so they can record all information on crimes and then that be passed onto office staff who would write up the report. Too much time is wasted by police officers, police should beout doing what they are trained to do, not sat behind a desk writing report after report.

brilliant idea about the CSO's.
    Re: Re: Re: extra rights for cso's
    theyre less trained to deal with confrontations though, my objection to them, they dont try to deal with actual troublemakers, they normallyignore them and go for people spitting etc which no matter how grotesque, doesnt stop crimes
    but they aint so much law enforcers as community cops ...freeing up the big guys to get on with chasing the crooks.
    if you have a problem with vandalism noise drunkeness etc ...the cso's can deal with it instead of supposedly highly trained coppers who are needed in large numbers to nick people like me who have a rear registration plate bulb out! the real coppers are manning all those camera vans or busting some small time drug dealer ...whilst of course the real crims can go out robbing banks for twenty million quid.
    Re: Re: Re: Re: extra rights for cso's
    Originally posted by morrocan roll
    but they aint so much law enforcers as community cops ...freeing up the big guys to get on with chasing the crooks.
    if you have a problem with vandalism noise drunkeness etc ...the cso's can deal with it instead of supposedly highly trained coppers who are needed in large numbers to nick people like me who have a rear registration plate bulb out! the real coppers are manning all those camera vans or busting some small time drug dealer ...whilst of course the real crims can go out robbing banks for twenty million quid.

actually i like beckys idea that they have someone type up reports for them :p
    The way we work is thus.
    If you stamp on the little things in time to come it will help stop the bigger things.
    I had a young lad a few months ago, cheeky little sod to me, police and members of the public, he decided to spit on me.
    For about a week nothing happened to him, but out of the blue he was arrested, taken to the cells and made to sit with the effluence of society for half an hour until his mother collected him.

Since then there has not been a SINGLE complaint about him, he's been as good as gold.

All the extra power means is this. Currently if someone comes up to me and says that so and so has stolen their purse, I am powerless to do anything unless I witnessed it.
    With the detention power it means I'll be able to find said person and detain them until they can be arrested.

As for what use we are, well the local youngsters trust us a LOT more than the police.
    Yes, they take the piss out of us, but they know all we require from them is good behaviour. If they leave the public alone, if they do their drinking or whatever indoors and out of the way of the elderley person's complex or the shopping precinct we have no problem with them and leave them to it.
    Because of this, because we don't hassle them all the time and let them get on with it they trust us and listen to us, and also provide us with useful tidbits of information.
    Members of the public are also grateful because it means the police, once again has a friendly face to it. It's no longer a series of massive brick buildings filled with hordes of armour wearing coppers who all disgorge en masse whenever something happens. It's now something that is always there. The people know where I work, that if they need police help there's one of us close by, and they appreciate it.