Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

ignorance

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I was and am surprised and really shocked when I read, see and hear the way the subject of AIDS is treated in many european countries.
Some time ago I was surfing these message boards and came accross a thread in which a member stated that he had heard of AIDS, and wanted to know if there was a cure etc. I nearly fell of my chair! :eek:
With infection rates rising especially in eastern european countries as well as in western europe, is it not the governments and peoples duty to inform and learn?

Admittedly the AIDS situation is quite different where I come from, and many would react with outrage when they hear that children as young as 6 are tought about AIDS and its causes. We are a radical example, but is ignorance the better solution?

Any thoughts?

A.

Comments

• Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    Re: ignorance
    Originally posted by Arasti
    but is ignorance the better solution?
    How is ignorance a solution at all?
    Personally, I've known about AIDS since I was 8, and I learned the ways it can and the ways it cannot be transmitted at 13 -at school. We even had a lesson in biology that explained how the virus works.
    Maybe knowing how it works isn't necessary, but I can't imagine a grown person in a civilised country not knowing what AIDS is and of its dangers...
  • Options
    Re: ignorance
    I Some time ago I was surfing these message boards and came accross a thread in which a member stated that he had heard of AIDS, and wanted to know if there was a cure etc. I nearly fell of my chair! :eek:

i don't believe you.
  • Options
    What's AIDS? Some sort of Rock band?:rolleyes:

It does highlight the pressing need for education like we had back in the 80's.
    And for teachers to tell kids

"If you have sex, you will get AIDS, and you will die....don't have sex, and here's some condoms"
    (quote from mean girls, the missus made me watch it, funny film)
  • Options
    Originally posted by lukesh
    Maybe the people in Europe need to be educated about the virus. I have known since I was around 6 that AIDS can kill and there is no cure for it. i remember... them days... couldn't sleep properly for years because I thought I had AIDS.

technically it isnt aids that kills, but some other disease or illness bewcause of the immune system deficiency
  • Options
    It's not ignorance that kills, it's stupidity. We all know the risks, but only some of us take chances. There are more deserving charities than AIDS charities, but none more fashionable.
  • Options
    Originally posted by nckdn
    It's not ignorance that kills, it's stupidity. We all know the risks, but only some of us take chances. There are more deserving charities than AIDS charities, but none more fashionable.

Ha and all AIDS sufferers have recieved it because they "took a chance"?

I'm sorry, did the child drinking contaminated fluids "take a chance" on living vs certain death through dehydration?

Did the dying person in a car accident "take a chance" on recieving blood than dying?
  • Options
    Originally posted by queenmab_roo
    Ha and all AIDS sufferers have recieved it because they "took a chance"?

I'm sorry, did the child drinking contaminated fluids "take a chance" on living vs certain death through dehydration?

Did the dying person in a car accident "take a chance" on recieving blood than dying?

in eastern europe most hiv infections are coming from dirty needles due to their 'tough' appraoch to drug users, meaning they dont get access to clean needles
  • Options
    Yes, i don't mean to be disputing the fact that sometimes it is through their own fault.

But note the SOMETIMES. nckdn was implying that ALL sufferers have got it through stupidity.
  • Options
    Of course you can argue that infections are offten caused
    by factors outside of the controll of those being infected.
    Bad blood transfusions etc. being an example. Yet
    mostly AIDS and HIV is still spreading by human to
    human contact, sex. Unprotected sex.

Therefore the arguement that many, yet true, not all
    infected, could have done their bit to avoid the
    disease, can be considered a valid one.

Here some statistics on AIDS in the uk:

CAUSE OF INFECTION:

Sex between men - 61%
    Sex between men and women - 26%
    Injecting drug use - 6%
    Blood/tissue transfer or blood factor - 4%
    Mother to infant - 3%
    Other/undetermined - 1%

BRITAIN v. SOUTH AFRICA:

BRITAIN:
    HIV/AIDS - adult prevalence rate: 0.1%
    HIV/AIDS - people living with HIV/AIDS: 34,000
    HIV/AIDS - deaths: 460

SOUTH AFRICA:
    HIV/AIDS - adult prevalence rate: 21.5%
    HIV/AIDS - people living with HIV/AIDS: 5.3 million
    HIV/AIDS - deaths: 370,000
  • Options
    who's the blame for africa's trouble, are condoms easily accessible in africa, you can get thm for free here, are people too uneducated about AIDS in africa, yes, is there some conspiracy, probably. these problems are caused mainly by outside influences, it's the ignorance of the establishment, it's their malice, but, at the same time, if AIDS is such a probldem, then it should be the people's drive to find out what the fuck is going on and for them to curb the spread by educating themselves
  • Options
    I can't talk for the rest of Africa, but your arguements do not apply to South Africa. That is what makes the fact that RSA has the highest AIDS statistics so astonishing.

AIDS education is taken to rediculous levels, there is no billboard or lamppost with not at least one AIDS warning. Children are taught about AIDS from Primary SChool level, even shows such as "Sesamy Street" (spell) are used to teach the youngest about AIDS. Condoms are available at no cost everywhere, AIDS testing and counselling as well as treatment is free countrywide.

From all african countries, Soutzh Africa is the one country in which the people are the most educated, in which the majority of the population can read and write and in which there is NO WAY you can NOT know about AIDS, and yet the infectionrates rise and rise.

WHY?

WHo Knows???
  • Options
    any numbers on the level of infection for classes?? maybe the lower classes aren't as ready educated or just oblivious to the risks, i'm not sure.
  • Options
    i think i like the word ignoramus

like a huge lumbersome prehistoric dinosaur that knows bugger all, and shines and glistens in the sun because of the varnish

yup its an aged and worn american politician
  • Options
    I can't talk for the rest of Africa, but your arguements do not apply to South Africa. That is what makes the fact that RSA has the highest AIDS statistics so astonishing.

AIDS education is taken to rediculous levels, there is no billboard or lamppost with not at least one AIDS warning. Children are taught about AIDS from Primary SChool level, even shows such as "Sesamy Street" (spell) are used to teach the youngest about AIDS. Condoms are available at no cost everywhere, AIDS testing and counselling as well as treatment is free countrywide.

From all african countries, Soutzh Africa is the one country in which the people are the most educated, in which the majority of the population can read and write and in which there is NO WAY you can NOT know about AIDS, and yet the infectionrates rise and rise.

WHY?

WHo Knows???

its called the "i dont think ill get it" syndrome and considering mbeki's stance that hiv virus can pass through condoms

and its amaziing you criticise my argument and dont come up with any statistics for eastern europe which what i was talking about, since thats where the rate of infections is so high
  • Options
    Originally posted by wheresmyplacebo
    its called the "i dont think ill get it" syndrome and considering mbeki's stance that hiv virus can pass through condoms

i suppose it can if theres a hole in the condom
  • Options
    Originally posted by MrG
    i suppose it can if theres a hole in the condom

clever comment of the day award, like theres a hole a my sock :rolleyes:
  • Options
    clever comment of the day award, like theres a hole a my sock :rolleyes:

well if there wasnt that scene in american pie 1 wouldnt have worked
  • Options

and its amaziing you criticise my argument and dont come up with any statistics for eastern europe which what i was talking about, since thats where the rate of infections is so high

I think your post is also quite amazing. I would suggest you do some research on topics
    you post on, before making arguements
    you cannot back up.

1. Tabo Mbeki argued that HIV does not cause AIDS and not that HIV can pass
    through condoms.
    The South African branch of the Catholik church argued that one.

2. If you want to know the statistics for eastern europe, here thay are:

Between 1.9% and 3.1% of Western Europeans have been infected by the AIDS or HIV virus. Of
    the 18,030 people with newly diagnosed HIV which the West reported in 2003,

58% probably acquired HIV through heterosexual contact
    30% were homo/bisexual men
    11% were injecting drug users

Does that prove my point?

A. ;)
  • Options
    To be honest it's only recently that I found out a little more about AIDs. We had such poor sex ed in school and I assumed it was passed around by bum loving... Never knew that hetero couples were so at risk until I saw it on TV.
  • Options
    for many that sounds hard to believe but i agree with you on that one
  • Options
    Originally posted by MoonRat
    To be honest it's only recently that I found out a little more about AIDs. We had such poor sex ed in school and I assumed it was passed around by bum loving... Never knew that hetero couples were so at risk until I saw it on TV.
    Not a reply to you, but a thought that arised fromt this.
    How come so many people believe(d) that it can only be transmitted with gay relations?
  • Options
    Originally posted by Zalbor
    How come so many people believe(d) that it can only be transmitted with gay relations?

cause thats how it started to be origionally spread, and then the shit sorta stuck
  • Options
    Originally posted by MrG
    cause thats how it started to be origionally spread, and then the shit sorta stuck
    I see...
    First I heard of AIDS personally was a TV spot when I was 8. There were a (cartoony) man and woman in a bed, looking at each other with a magnifying lens, and the words "Make sure you've checked your partner" (or something, I don't remember).
  • Options
    the way they made some of those adverts though was as if people were checking if their partner had slept with other guys kinda thing rather than been clean

and im annoyed at why they dont have the aids warnings and adverts levels like they used to, i think while the have world aids day, in the UK they need to have a big fuckassed push to get the message out and to shock people into seeing and then learning the truth
  • Options
    Originally posted by Zalbor

Our class had poor sex ed because we were so disruptive (hence we weren't allowed to use computers in IT either) and because of the attitudes in the place I've grown up... I guess that's where the idea came from.

And it's not like in teen magazines they had huge articles on AIDs at the time.
  • Options

You really are a twat.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Blagsta
    You really are a twat.

I do have compassion for self-inflicted suffering, but more for innocent suffering. That's a perfectly valid viewpoint Blagsta, you needn't call me a twat!
    I wonder if South Africa doesn't prove my point about stupidity rather than ignorance being the cause for most HIV infections. If you were to compare different ethnic groups in that country, where everyone is warned of the dangers of unprotected sex, would you find a correlation between a high incidence of HIV/AIDS and low IQ. I bet you would. I'm sure you know I'm right.
    I've risked it myself and to any young people reading this - it's never worth it! Buy a condom and have all the fun you want, with as many people as you want - but be safe! Here endeth the lesson.
  • Options
    It doesn't help that in Africa men think they can cure it by having sex with virgins.

So no, ignorance is a complete bag of wank.
  • Options
    I do have compassion for self-inflicted suffering, but more for innocent suffering. That's a perfectly valid viewpoint Blagsta, you needn't call me a twat!
    I wonder if South Africa doesn't prove my point about stupidity rather than ignorance being the cause for most HIV infections. If you were to compare different ethnic groups in that country, where everyone is warned of the dangers of unprotected sex, would you find a correlation between a high incidence of HIV/AIDS and low IQ. I bet you would. I'm sure you know I'm right.
    I've risked it myself and to any young people reading this - it's never worth it! Buy a condom and have all the fun you want, with as many people as you want - but be safe! Here endeth the lesson.

You're insinuating here, a link between ethnicity and IQ.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Blagsta
    You're insinuating here, a link between ethnicity and IQ.

No - I'm suggesting a link between IQ and HIV infection. I've explicitly posted (not slyly insinuated) that I believe different groups have different IQs. They do.