Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Record EU fine for Microsoft upheld

Story.

They can appeal again, but for now the record £331m fine the EU Commission imposed on Microsoft stands, as does the requirement for them to open up their Windows system to competitors.

Hurrah!
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Of course you do realise that Microsnot could light cigars with that amount of money and not blink twice? Put such fines into the billions (or with MS into the 10's of billions) and then perhaps they might actually feel a sting where it counts.

If you havent seen the documentary The Corporation, I would highly recommend you do so. One salient fact that emerges is that MNC's regularly factor in the costs of such penalties for abhorrent practices as less costly than the observance of ethical and true "free market" principles.
  • Options
    Well there was the classic example of FireStone tires (it was them wasnt it) where they factors law suits against profit loss if they re-called tires they knew to be dangerous.
  • Options
    Of course it's small change.

It's a start though.

I haven't seen The Corporation, but I am on the lookout for it.
  • Options
    Get DC++ and download it. That's where I found it.