Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.
Options

Bit Torrent Sources

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Is there any way i can resolve the attached error problem?

I havent been able to download things for months now.

Thanks

Comments

• Options
  • Options
    azureus!

http://azureus.sourceforge.net/

simply the best bittorrent client.. ever
  • Options
    I get this problem, but I don't know if it's the same thing.

I've tried using a combination of two different sources and three different clients, but I just can not download anything at all, and haven't been able to since late on Friday.

Anyone know what it is?
  • Options
    Originally posted by jake0
    azureus!

I like this one better too
  • Options
    Originally posted by the doc horatio
    I get this problem, but I don't know if it's the same thing.

I've tried using a combination of two different sources and three different clients, but I just can not download anything at all, and haven't been able to since late on Friday.

Anyone know what it is?

well that simply means the tracker is down, or you're unable to connect to it, either due to a firewall or something.
  • Options
    well that simply means the tracker is down, or you're unable to connect to it, either due to a firewall or something.

This is going to make me sound really clueless (but as I am it's OK), but what is the tracker? Only I haven't changed my firewall settings so it can't be that.
  • Options
    BT download Manager some use or I hear BitCommet is good.
  • Options
    Originally posted by the doc horatio
    This is going to make me sound really clueless (but as I am it's OK), but what is the tracker? Only I haven't changed my firewall settings so it can't be that.

heres something i posted a while ago

A torrent is basically a file that you download and open with your bittorrent client. The torrent tells the bittorrent client what tracker to connect to. The torrent also has information about the file/s that you want to download.

The torrent tracker is basically a server that every bittorrent client connects to. when your downloading something via bittorrent, you download the file/s in small bits and your bittorrent client tells the tracker what bits you have and what bits you dont. So the tracker basically organises this information. Say person A has Part A but wants to download part B and person B has part B and wants to download part A, the tracker will automatically tell person A's bittorrent client to download part B from person A, and the tracker will tell person B to download part A from person B. Thats basically how the tracker works, just on a larger scale.

I hope this has made some sense, its quite complicated but i hope i have explained it well.
  • Options
    azureus!

agreed :D
  • Options
    azureus all the way :D
  • Options
    Dr PirateDr Pirate Posts: 8,303 Legendary Poster
    Please forgive my general ignorance but, I have no clue how to use bittorrent, and have now found a torrent to download... how do I go about it?

File Information
    Name: 1828 - Kingdom Hearts Chain of Memories (U)(Venom).zip
    Info Hash: b9ed51d1b14b7846b5cea15c748494b1ede4d4cb
    Added: 2004-12-08 12:56:57
    Size: 16.02 MB
    Files: 1
  • Options
    Originally posted by Dr Pirate
    Please forgive my general ignorance but, I have no clue how to use bittorrent, and have now found a torrent to download... how do I go about it?

You need to pick a client first and when you click on a link just say open it and the client should take over from there.

The official Bittorent client is pretty plain and boring, I tried the one most people recommended on here and it's pretty good, ABC is also good.
  • Options
    while ABC is good for a user to actually use, its not quite up to standard and because of that some of the conenction problems you may or may not encounter, or even just download speeds could be due to the fact that ABC uses slightly different methods when implementing the lineage of some protocols.

usually this only manifests its problems when getting stats back of a tracker website, but could be a problem somewhere along the line, use azureus, its fab