Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.
Options

Tone of language used on here

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Frequently, I come across people who are basically telling other people to kill themselves (not actually meaning it, but as an insult if you get me) and it kind of gets to me, even when it's about people not on here but IRL. I've seen comments about people like "if he would only do us a favour and hang himself" and suchlike, and although I didn't report them at the time, they did offend me.

Perhaps I'm being oversensitive because this kind of language is used all the time by a lot of people I figure, but at the same time I think there is a line which people are so happy to tread over sometimes.

I mean, sometimes people just all jump on the bandwagon. There was a poster in the sex forum called bitch on heat and she brought up a couple of old dead threads and you get the one or two reminding her of the rules, then the three or four or five all calling her stupid etc. and it goes too far. I know it's an issue for the mods, but they can only be there to fix the problem, we've got to look after ourselves to stop it happening in the first place.

I don't want this to turn into a nasty thread, I just wanted to get it off my chest I guess that sometimes people are too graphic or too 'angry' lol... there's just no need for it that I can see.

Comments

• Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    I think I agree. Certain (or most?) people always pick on certain others, and that pisses me off.
  • Options
    trudat
  • Options
    thing is in a lot of cases when referring to politicians, a lot of people would be better off if they had just hanged themselves instead of instilling dodgy policy

i will quite happily twist this into a politics and debate thread, because if there are two evils, you always have to chose the lesser of the two, even if it is still a savage choice
  • Options
    i did ask the other day if i should take a length of rope round for a poster in P&D ...
  • Options
    Originally posted by MrG
    thing is in a lot of cases when referring to politicians, a lot of people would be better off if they had just hanged themselves instead of instilling dodgy policy

i will quite happily twist this into a politics and debate thread, because if there are two evils, you always have to chose the lesser of the two, even if it is still a savage choice

I know, but why bring hanging into it, or even death? I know what I'm saying makes me sound like a toddler who gets offended at 'bad words' but I'm sure there are a lot of people who are affected by the type of language used.

Referring to David Blunkett, can't people just say they're pleased he's resigned, and we'd be better off if he was never elected. I mean, it might just be me (but I hope not) but I beleive life is sacred, and even when there are people that people hate, hoping or being happy after their death I think is distasteful, not on any high-horse moral / religious grounds, but on basic humanity. We're all human, we shouldn't celebrate someone has died because we don't like them...
  • Options
    Couldn't agree more Shyboy, it gets on my tits too.
  • Options
    Originally posted by TheShyBoyInTheCorner
    we shouldn't celebrate someone has died because we don't like them...
    ermmm ...let me see now.
    my celebration list for upcoming deaths ...maggie hatchet ...george bush ...donald rumsfeld ...madman insane ...all members of the bnp ...there are more i'm sure.
  • Options
    as you said, each person has their own beliefs and morals.

what's not human about celebrating good news?
  • Options
    It's dramatic exaggeration a lot of the time.

It's like me saying I hope Glasgow gets nuked. I don't actually hope it gets nuked (hey that's potentially 6 points we could be missing out on), but saying I do is just another way of expressing the fact that I hate the place.

Like some people hate Blair, and Blunkett and Bush et al.

I can't imagine getting offended by that kind of language unless I really wanted to be offended by it...
  • Options
    Originally posted by Bri-namite
    I can't imagine getting offended by that kind of language unless I really wanted to be offended by it...

Don't you have natural reactions? people don't say, ok i am gonna get offended :/.
  • Options

It's like me saying I hope Glasgow gets nuked. I don't actually hope it gets nuked (hey that's potentially 6 points we could be missing out on), but saying I do is just another way of expressing the fact that I hate the place.

Like some people hate Blair, and Blunkett and Bush et al.

exactly ...it' expression with flair.
    the alternative is boring black and white.
    real life is not a friggin board meeting.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Tweety
    Don't you have natural reactions? people don't say, ok i am gonna get offended :/.

No, because I rarely get offended.

Some people like to make a fuss though.
  • Options
    No, because I rarely get offended.

Some people like to make a fuss though.

Wheres the fuss, people don't think the same. So he was just saying what bugs him. Just happens to bug me too.
  • Options

most of language is.

how many times do you hear things like 'i'm freezing' or 'i'm boiling' or 'i'm starving'.

people are clearly not usually any of those things.
  • Options
    Originally posted by kaffrin
    most of language is.

how many times do you hear things like 'i'm freezing' or 'i'm boiling' or 'i'm starving'.

people are clearly not usually any of those things.

True.
  • Options
    How boring.

If you're offended by crap like that then you have too much free time on your hands.

It's dramatic exaggeration, deal with it.
  • Options
    Anybody who gets offended by dramatisation in language is obviously gay and should be shot in the face repeatedly.

Get a hold of yourself boy ;o
  • Options
    Referring to David Blunkett, can't people just say they're pleased he's resigned, and we'd be better off if he was never elected. I mean, it might just be me (but I hope not) but I beleive life is sacred, and even when there are people that people hate, hoping or being happy after their death I think is distasteful, not on any high-horse moral / religious grounds, but on basic humanity. We're all human, we shouldn't celebrate someone has died because we don't like them...

Oh dear god.

So if someone murdered your family in a slightly humorous yet still rather gruesome manner, and then died, you'd mourn their death etc?

You should take things lighter etc
  • Options
    Originally posted by Tweety
    Wheres the fuss, people don't think the same. So he was just saying what bugs him. Just happens to bug me too.

And it doesn't happen to bug me, and I think people make too big a deal out of it.

I personally think life's far too short to get all offended because of this shit, some of us need to learn to stop taking things too seriously.

It's like whenever somebody posts a slightly sick joke. You always get people whining and saying it should get edited or closed down.

The world would be a hell of a boring place if some people got their way.
  • Options
    Why oh why do some people take these boards so damn seriously? People will say what they want, it's not real life, and it's not intended to piss anyone off, it's just banter...
    Please take it a little more lightly, surely anyone who gets offended by stuff like that should get out more. How can things like this actually bother you? It's the internet!
  • Options
    Originally posted by Pink Soda
    Why oh why do some people take these boards so damn seriously? People will say what they want, it's not real life, and it's not intended to piss anyone off, it's just banter...
    Please take it a little more lightly, surely anyone who gets offended by stuff like that should get out more. How can things like this actually bother you? It's the internet!
    the real world that some people inhabit must be very sterile ...almost clinical.
  • Options
    JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    In bitch on heats case there were several factors away from the boards which made the action more justified.

As for asking people to die - I tend to exagerate - I don't hope anyone dies. With the exception of Piers Morgan and several others carefully selected.
  • Options
    Originally posted by JsT
    In bitch on heats case there were several factors away from the boards which made the action more justified.

and do we have links to these factors.....if not WHY :mad:

I dont even know who you are referring to tbh.
  • Options
    JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    Originally posted by BeckyBoo
    and do we have links to these factors.....if not WHY :mad:

I dont even know who you are referring to tbh.

Because the factors are private matters and nothing to do with the majority of this boards members.

(and also no-one trusts old geordies women with gossip anyway :p)
  • Options
    And it doesn't happen to bug me, and I think people make too big a deal out of it.

I'm sure some people think that about your beliefs.

Anyway saying i'm offended isn't the right word for me. I also have personal reasons as to why i don't like it.
    Imagine you said it to someone meaning it or not & then they died.
  • Options
    Listen, all I was saying that it was something that annoyed me, and I didn't particularly like seeing.
    How can things like this actually bother you? It's the internet!

The internet can be just as offensive as real life, and things like this bother me because they do. Because they don't bother you doesn't mean they can't bother other people. It's all about trying to see it frmo another person's perspective or something isn't it?
    some of us need to learn to stop taking things too seriously.

I don't take most things seriously - but references to hanging and execution I don't find particularly funny.
    So if someone murdered your family in a slightly humorous yet still rather gruesome manner, and then died, you'd mourn their death etc?

I'm confused, of course I'd mourn their death... Thing is when it's personal to someone like that I doubt they see the funny side.
    If you're offended by crap like that then you have too much free time on your hands.

I don't agree with this. I am offended by crap like that, but I don't have too much free time on my hands.

Anyway, perhaps offended was the wrong word - but it does get to me and in a sense upsets me. I'm not asking for judgements on to why I'm too soft or don't get out enough as to why it's my problem - I'm just letting you know I do have a problem with it.
  • Options
    I'm just letting you know I do have a problem with it.

Didn't you now, you arent allowed to think differently.