Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.
Options

mp3 player - but which one ?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hi all - I'm Nook and I'm new here (as well as to forums in general) and I'm looking for some expert advice on which mp3 player to buy my husband for Christmas. There are so many out there - iPods; iRiver; Zen Jukebox etc etc that I don't know which to go for. What about this new Sony HD3 ? It's supposed to be out in the shops already but nobodys got any ? Spec wise it looks pretty good with a 20GB hard drive and 30 hours playback but what I need is some personal experiences of these machines, or the competition, so I can narrow it down a bit !

Cheers - Nook:)

Comments

• Options
    Ipods are expensive but small and stylish and the sound quality is supposed to be good.

The Creative Jukebox is less expensive for more memory than the Ipod but it is a bit bigger and mine just broke a few days ago. This doesn't mean it's crap because the sound quality was very good but battery life disappointed me.

As soon as things have been sorted I am thinking of getting the Zen Touch by Creative as it is smaller, looks very nice and is the same price as the Jukebox but only 20 GB which, lets face it is still more than many are going to be able to fill.

The Iriver is supposed to be used more for photos and things and is very nice but I personally would give it a miss unless I was some photographer or something.

These seem to be the most popular and I can't tell you about the Sony ones, sorry.

Hope that helped :)
  • Options
    Dr PirateDr Pirate Posts: 8,303 Legendary Poster
    get this: B0002TSU2O.02.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

here
  • Options
    That's the one ^^^
  • Options
    Wot - no Sony ?

Hi All - Nook here. Thanks for the replies, very useful but has no-one got anything to say about the Sony family ? Inparticular the HD3 ? It would be good to get the 'full picture' as it were, before making the final decision.

Best wishes !
  • Options
    sony = no no for me they make everything else pretty well but i find there mp3 player is not ery good at all i had one for a whole day i found the software very fiddlly and cumbersome and you didnt actually get your tracks ripped from cd as an mp3 is was sonys own ATRAC system so you wouldnt of been able to burn tracks with it also another thing that annoyed me was the dock it was really cheap compared to the rest of the unit

anyway i wouldnt go for the sony the only upside i found too it is the battery life which is 30 hours (apparently)
  • Options
    ATRAC3 & mp3

Hi Rosco - thanks for the reply. I take your point and you clearly know more about this stuff than me but I'm sure I've read somewhere that the new Sony HD3 is ATRAC3 and mp3 compatible. It can also store visual files (Jpeg, Mpeg) and data (Word, Powerpoint etc.). That sounds like a good deal doesn't it ? No need for a memory stick !

Cheers - Nook.
  • Options
    im not too sure to be honest as i did have an ipod before the sony and i found it easy too use no hassle with the software etc. so the problems with the sony jsut annoyed me and i jsut decidd on a new ipod so i didnt go too much into the specs and capabilities

if your lookign for soemthing easy to use is light portable and not too hellishly expensive (new 20g ipos are 240 compared to the sony which goes at 300 normally) then id go for the ipod
  • Options
    Is there an MP3 player that is 1GB? I've looked and looked, finding out that 1GB is elusive. You get 128MB, 256MB, 512MB and then it shoots up into the 4GB range. I don't need as much as that (or the price that goes with it). 1GB would be just perfect.

Are there also players that forces you to use an obscure format like WMA and Real Audio, or do all of them pretty much support MP3?
  • Options
    NewSony HD3

Hi Nook - I also want to know about the new Sony so am curious - did you actually buy it for your husband and if so how did you find it? When I have seen it in the shops it does indeed look like a nifty bit of kit and the specs look good. So..........
    Cheers,
    Alan C