Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.
Options

Typical French Foods

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I'm going to a French market (put on for xmas in our town centre, type thingy) tomorrow and as my sister and her gf are big into all things French, I thought I would make them up a little hamper of French foody bits that I find tomorrow *fingers crossed!*

Question is, what kinda foods are typically French? I've never been to France (tho my sis has been about 5 times!) and I didn't study French at school so I've not got that much of an idea! I was thinking cheeses and jams and some sort of crackers/biscuit things (they're big into cheese and biscuits!). Also thought I would look for chocolates and maybe put some candles/tealights and bits in too.

Is there anything typically French anyone can think of?

Ta in advance! :)

Comments

• Options
    Bread! Fresh bread is a very typical french thing.
  • Options
    - crepes
    - un pain au chocolat, and they're MUCH better than the ones you can buy over here (yum yum!)
    - croissants
    - bagettes, you can't beat a nice freashly baked and warm bagette!
    - various varieties of cheese, like you mention
    - And of course, WINE! (though that's not food I know)

And, but you probably already know, each region in France has it's own speciality dish. This is a good introductory guide: http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/mostof_frenchcookery.shtml

oh, you have to go to France! I get the feeling you'll love Paris too!

let us know what you bought!
  • Options
    frogs legs and snails.
  • Options
    Originally posted by rainbow brite
    frogs legs and snails.

:yuck:
  • Options
    frogs legs and snails.

'Here you go sis, I got you a little hamper of frogs legs and snails. Yum yum!' :p

But that is traditional french food though isnt it? If you dont fancy that then just use cheese, wine, croissants, chocolate spread, brioche, etc.
  • Options
    we had a french market here for a week, it had a stall that sold garlic one that sold wicker baskets ad one that sold teddys then lots of random stalls that sold poundland junk.Very french.
  • Options
    foie gras :yum: truffles, mushrooms...
  • Options
    Originally posted by Maladjusted
    truffles

Mmmmm, truffles :yum: Now you got my attention!
  • Options
    bonne maman strawberry jam is french and delicious. Also nice fresh baguette, but you have to buy that on the same day. You can buy tins that pop open to make fresh croissants, which are really delicious, you can get them in pain au chocolat too. Obviously french wine, french beer, camembert, port salut. You could put a toy frog and a toy snail in there too, if you didnt want to put real frogs and snails. You could get plastic frogs and snails from the early learning centre I think.
  • Options
    Originally posted by KinkyBoots
    Mmmmm, truffles :yum: Now you got my attention!
    the mushrooms, not the chocolates.
  • Options

I hate mushrooms :yuck: Gimme the choc.
  • Options
    You can buy tins that pop open to make fresh croissants, which are really delicious,

Ooo, they are so much fun!
  • Options

that's what i was thinking of, had pumpkin soup with truffles and truffle oil at gordon ramsey's last week :yum: was soooo nice!
  • Options
    dont buy fois gras though, its really cruel how they make it.
  • Options
    it's pretty much been said; broche, wine, baguette, cheese. they seem to put chocolate in everything and dried meat and saucisson (bit like pepperami) are also very popular.

its weird because french food is really fatty yet french people are very skinny.
  • Options
    Originally posted by lipsy
    it's pretty much been said; broche, wine, baguette, cheese. they seem to put chocolate in everything and dried meat and saucisson (bit like pepperami) are also very popular.

its weird because french food is really fatty yet french people are very skinny.

It depends on lifestyle, really. Not solely on what they eat.

How is France anyways? :)
  • Options
    Originally posted by Jacqueline the Ripper
    It depends on lifestyle, really. Not solely on what they eat.

How is France anyways? :)
    yes , i lost weight too.
    im enjoying france lots but im back home for xmas now :D
  • Options
    Originally posted by lipsy

they eat better than we do though. yeah, it's all quite fatty, but stuff like cheese is fatty but also quite good for you, whereas we eat junk food that's fatty and has no nutritional value.

that's what i think anyway.
  • Options
    The French also eat a lot of seafood, or the Bretons and Normans do anyway. And, as any fule kno, seafood is wonderful for you, with all those antioxidants and omega 3.

Moules, smothered in garlic, with mayonnaise frites. Yummyness on a stick.

Oh yes, foie gras is evil. What they do is they shove a nozzle into the duck's mouth, and force-feed it fatty feed, and they feed it more than three times its own body weight in about ten seconds. This knackers the liver of the duck, but it makes the foie gras taste nicer. Lovely, huh?
  • Options
    Originally posted by kaffrin
    they eat better than we do though. yeah, it's all quite fatty, but stuff like cheese is fatty but also quite good for you, whereas we eat junk food that's fatty and has no nutritional value.

that's what i think anyway.
    hmm yeah. they also seem to eat a lot of salads (even the children) and leave half their meal when they go to a restaurant.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Kermit

Oh yes, foie gras is evil. What they do is they shove a nozzle into the duck's mouth, and force-feed it fatty feed, and they feed it more than three times its own body weight in about ten seconds. This knackers the liver of the duck, but it makes the foie gras taste nicer. Lovely, huh?

i already know this, but yet, it really doesn't bother me. my principles have definately laxed over the years.

not really much worse than most mass produced animals for meat, mil or eggs go through in their lives anyways and i eat them as well.
  • Options
    Each to their own.

I try to buy ethically wherever possible, but it is becoming more and more impossible to do so. Especially as farms are now no longer allowed to kill their own: GWST's family always used to get a lamb a year that the farm next door had humanely killed, but the farm isn't allowed to do that anymore, so the animals are no longer killed humanely. It's terrible, all to suit the pockets of the corporate farms.

When I can I buy ethically, which is why I don't buy battery eggs, foie gras, or IAMS.
  • Options
    i admire the principle and i used to be the same myself. now i'm just lazy, cynical and jaded.