Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Chillblains

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
(ok, i hope that's spelt right!!)
anyway...my mate at college has them. i know nothing about them, so thought aswell as searching id ask for advice on here too!!
What causes them??
she has poor circulation in her hands+feet, and if the temperature of them changes rapidly, her fongers swell. If its cold weather, like it is now, the skin on the top of her fingers (between the 2 joints) cracks and splits!
she has cream, moisturiser, and puts vaseline on every nite under thin cotton gloves!
apart from being diabetic (could this be connected?), She's healthy and fit!
Anyone got them+have any miracle cures/advice i could give her! she's getting really embarressed of her hands, poor luv!
SBG

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I have a feeling that poor circulation can be a result of diabetes.
    Send her down to poundland where you can get 2 handwarmers for £1, they really work, just boil them in a pan for 10 minutes or so at the start of the day then she can sue them when she goes outside to stop her hands getting too old (they're amazing, trust me, my hands get really painful because of the cold). Also Atrixo is the best hand cream by a long shot.
    i usually get chilblainsm touch wood havent had them this year. the only thing i can suggest is making sure you wear thermal socks, proper ones, and thinsulate gloves whenever outside, extreme fluctuations in temperature cause them and they can be sooooo painful and itchy.
    Im sure you can get cream for them, but i dont know how effective it is.
    I'm in the process of putting a site together to share experiences and advice:-

http://www.chillblains.com

I hope it's of some use to fellow sufferers of the condition!
  • SkiveSkive Posts: 15,283 Skive's The Limit
    This is an old thread.
    When it snowed the other day and I went out for long walk I ended up getting them on the tips of my ears. Itchy as fuck and the scabbed up. Gone now though.
    Weekender Offender