Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.
Options

windows xp

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
hi, i've been using xp for a while now but im just fed up of it, i tried to uninstall and reinstall win 98se but i just cant, does anyone know how to do it.

Comments

• Options
    whats wrong with XP?

if you want to install win98se you'll have to format the drive and then install 98se.
  • Options
    You'd be much better off trying to get used to windows XP to be honest.

It does have a slight transition period, especially if you are used to 98, but really 98 is an outdated technology now. XP is the only properly supported home operating system by Microsoft at the moment, 2000 is partially supported but 98 is really going back some.
  • Options
    98 crashes like buggery
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    Originally posted by MrG
    98 crashes like buggery
    Yeah, but at least you can reboot and it will work fine until it crashes again. XP have a series of little problems that happen on some computers and don't happen to other ones and are apparently unsolvable.
  • Options
    JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    98 is far too out of date now, get used to XP!
  • Options
    Originally posted by Zalbor
    Yeah, but at least you can reboot and it will work fine until it crashes again. XP have a series of little problems that happen on some computers and don't happen to other ones and are apparently unsolvable.

that is why they created service pack 1 and 2 ;)
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    Originally posted by not_an_angel
    that is why they created service pack 1 and 2 ;)
    1 solves some, but not all, and 2 creates more problems than the ones it solves. And anyway, they're supposed to release their programs, OSes or not, only after they make sure they work.
  • Options
    xp is the most stable os i've ever used.
    it is almost self healing when things do go wrong.
    i have sp2 and have no problems at all.
    xp ...the best yet.
  • Options
    I've so far found Windows 2000 to be the most stable. I've had Windows XP already go tits up and need reinstalling. :( However, it has most of the stability of 2000 with a lot of advantages of '98 & ME.
    I only use '98/ME for games that won't run under XP nowadays.
  • Options
    Originally posted by morrocan roll
    xp ...the best yet.

seconded!
  • Options
    Originally posted by MrG
    98 crashes like buggery

what does buggery crash like?
  • Options
    Self healing my arse. :( If self healing means crashing, then doing the CHKDSK thing, and deciding that self healing means deleting over 200 photos and documents on my hard drive, screwing up my email settings, and buggering up the channels on my TV card, then I suppose I'll have to accept that as "self healing". :mad: God I hate Windows! This is the second install of XP to go tits up on me in six months. God I hate it. I just can't rely on the damn thing to remain stable enough to do a damned thing! I can't make use of the storage space of the drives due to it crashing and corrupting the files, so can't keep my MP3's and photos on there - it's just not worth the hassle of spending all the time loading them onto the drives, as within weeks Windoze crashes and buggers everything up! :mad:
  • Options
    might it be your computer then?

just wondering cos xp for me as well si the msot stable windows platform i've used so far. although *touch wood* i've never really had that many problems with windows before.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Fiend_85
    what does buggery crash like?

like been fingered by an elephant
  • Options
    Originally posted by MrG
    like been fingered by an elephant

Except that elephants don't have fingers...

Personally, I love XP. Best systems by far. I'm on my fifth PC (this one and four work ones) and never had a problem with XP...

[/tempting fate]
  • Options
    That's five computers with irreperable damage come Monday morning MoK...
  • Options
    xp ...the best yet.

agreed!
  • Options
    So far, having XP on this computer since easter time frmo a new build, I have had (i think) 2 critical errors which meant I had to restart. And they only happened when I opened a program on XP, wasn't anything to do with XP itself.

There are problems though - I don't get the poor backwards compatibility everyone complains about though because it's really been a non-issue for me. Only real problem with XP is on my network some computers can't see each other, which is irritating since the printer computer can't see mine >:[ having said that though, I don't know where to start setting up a network on windows 98.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Mr_Wobble
    I've so far found Windows 2000 to be the most stable. I've had Windows XP already go tits up and need reinstalling. :( However, it has most of the stability of 2000 with a lot of advantages of '98 & ME.
    I only use '98/ME for games that won't run under XP nowadays.

Seconded!

How many time have I had to deal with the infamous "reboot loops" on XP systems? About 12 times. Solved by Chkdsk /r at the recovery prompt. But then you shouldn't have to do it at the first place!