Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.
Options

Nintendo DS

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
So what do people think of the Nintendo DS?

If you don't know about it here are some websites for your info:
* Nintendos DS website: http://www.nintendo.com/systemsds
* Nintendos DS (Marketing/Microsite): http://www.nintendods.com/
* Random article (which i havent read): http://arstechnica.com/reviews/hardware/nintendo-ds.ars

(Does this mean an end to the Gameboy hardware series???)

Comments

  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I wouldn't imagine an end to GB titles for a while, too much third party development.

    Mario DS and the new Warioware game sound superb though
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    i'm a huge nintendo fanboy but this just seems to me like a gimmick...

    i've read various articles and 'reviews' of people who've bought them and i still remian unimpressed, though i feel the same way about the psp.

    same shit, different handheld IMO. don't rehash shit you've released 10 years beforehand. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Nintendo have never been a real player unlike Sony and now Microsoft. To me Nintendo seem to make more kiddie type games. I can't see it being a major hit here tbh.
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    The Sega vs Nintendo days were the best.
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Originally posted by Felix Da Housecat
    Nintendo have never been a real player unlike Sony and now Microsoft. To me Nintendo seem to make more kiddie type games. I can't see it being a major hit here tbh.

    their games ar eless violent in general, but in terms of fun theyre normally more fun and less repetitive than any PSX game
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    DS- I'm not sure about this one. I think it's a great idea, and the touch screen and the microphone have a lot of potential, but it being a handheld seems a bit weird. I don't think it will be that easy to balance it for games that need both the screen and buttons to control.

    Nin- "Family friendly" yes, "kiddy" no. Take Wind Waker for example. The lack of lots of blood and the cartoony style don't necessarily make it "kiddy". I really doubt any "kid" could realize the depth of its story.
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I Think that the Sony PSP will be a lot better than the DS, it has all different features like an MP3 and MPEG-4 Support.
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Im prob the bigest nin fan ever.. i love nintendo, and will be getting a DS, looks fucking awsome..
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Originally posted by Ramius
    I Think that the Sony PSP will be a lot better than the DS, it has all different features like an MP3 and MPEG-4 Support.

    no... quite simply the PsP will SUCK
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Is Mpeg-4 small but good quality video files?
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    erm its a hand held console if its battery only last an hour whats the point?

    main reason why the gameboy still sells cause its simple but great
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Originally posted by Hellfire
    no... quite simply the DS will SUCK

    Do you mean the PSP? :razz: Or have you changed your Nintendo alleigance?

    Anyway, I am a big Nintendo fan, was put off the GC because of the cartoony graphics of Zelda. Zelda on the N64 was one of my favourite games, and I used to get into character, but with the dodgy graphics it didn't feel real... so anyway. Perhaps if I had tried it I would have liked it.

    this new console looks really interesting, may get one sometime when the price comes down.
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Originally posted by TheShyBoyInTheCorner
    Do you mean the PSP? :razz: Or have you changed your Nintendo alleigance?

    Anyway, I am a big Nintendo fan, was put off the GC because of the cartoony graphics of Zelda. Zelda on the N64 was one of my favourite games, and I used to get into character, but with the dodgy graphics it didn't feel real... so anyway. Perhaps if I had tried it I would have liked it.

    this new console looks really interesting, may get one sometime when the price comes down.

    haha.. *blushes* yes i ment the PsP :(
  • Options
    Dr PirateDr Pirate Posts: 8,303 Legendary Poster
    Originally posted by Felix Da Housecat
    Is Mpeg-4 small but good quality video files?

    MPEG-4 = AVI if im not mistaken, which can be crap, or can be dvd quality.
  • Options
    Dr PirateDr Pirate Posts: 8,303 Legendary Poster
    Originally posted by Hellfire
    haha.. *blushes* yes i ment the PsP :(

    Quite simply the PSP will own because it is going to be used as an alternative platform for Final Fantasy VII - Advent Children

    It should also be coming out on DVD, so no need to buy a PSP unless you are an FF Fanboy.... like moi :p
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    PSP will ultimately suck.. Nintendo will always own the handheld, they said the N-gage and (I think it was called the neo-geo pocket color) would rock but it didn't no... Nintendo still held in there with the high standards of the GB :D
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Speaking of handhelds, anyone remember the atari lynx :D
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    Originally posted by Hellfire
    PSP will ultimately suck.. Nintendo will always own the handheld
    "Never say never". This can sadly be true, though I'll agree with you in this instance. There seems to be a lot more craze about the DS than the PSP, and developers seem to be more interested in it too. But never say never...
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    haha.. Maybe but.. I love nintendo..

    Anyone rmemeber these beasts then?

    atari-lynx.jpg
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Originally posted by Hellfire
    haha.. Maybe but.. I love nintendo..

    Anyone rmemeber these beasts then?

    atari-lynx.jpg

    course i do they pwned the gameboy its just a pity the batteries lasted less than 5 mins :(
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Originally posted by Gavman
    course i do they pwned the gameboy its just a pity the batteries lasted less than 5 mins :(

    and in just what way did they pwn anything?!

    *pisses self laughing*

    sonic on gamegear was about the best advert for it, but the fact batteries lasted a measley 4 hours was terrible.

    and just what games did the atai lynx have? killer apps!!!!!!!!!!1111wfasjk lbnh hahaha
  • Options
    Dr PirateDr Pirate Posts: 8,303 Legendary Poster
    This pwnz all other handheld systems.

    game_gear0.jpg
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    didnt there used to be a cartridge or something for the gamegear where you could watch tv on it?
  • Options
    Dr PirateDr Pirate Posts: 8,303 Legendary Poster
    Originally posted by jake0
    didnt there used to be a cartridge or something for the gamegear where you could watch tv on it?

    Indeed there was, that is part of the reason Game Gear is so uber.
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Originally posted by Dr Pirate
    MPEG-4 = AVI if im not mistaken, which can be crap, or can be dvd quality.

    MPEG-4 was made (in some alliance between Thompson and Apple) to give an almost DVD quality streaming format. MPEG-4 is made for networking/streaming, if its not going to be used for that (e.g. on the PSP) it'll be rubbish.
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Originally posted by Dr Pirate
    Quite simply the PSP will own because it is going to be used as an alternative platform for Final Fantasy VII - Advent Children

    It should also be coming out on DVD, so no need to buy a PSP unless you are an FF Fanboy.... like moi :p

    Nintendo have a deal with Square, Square have made recent Final Fantasy games for GBA and GC which are good. The FF games on the DS should be fantastic. - Square games belong on Nintendo consoles, thats where they started, thats where they should be. :yes:
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Originally posted by ultimatewisdom
    Nintendo have a deal with Square, Square have made recent Final Fantasy games for GBA and GC which are good. The FF games on the DS should be fantastic. - Square games belong on Nintendo consoles, thats where they started, thats where they should be. :yes:

    So true..:yes:
  • Options
    Dr PirateDr Pirate Posts: 8,303 Legendary Poster
    Originally posted by ultimatewisdom
    Nintendo have a deal with Square, Square have made recent Final Fantasy games for GBA and GC which are good. The FF games on the DS should be fantastic. - Square games belong on Nintendo consoles, thats where they started, thats where they should be. :yes:

    1) name these games that will be on the DS.
    2) the GBA and GC FF games wernt as good as the Playstation ones, I have them but only because I didnt want to ruin my collection.
    3) they may have started on Nintendo, but Playstation (and FF7) is where it hit the mainstream.

    PSP > DS
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    Originally posted by Dr Pirate
    PSP > DS
    You might think so, but check out this and this.

    Of course, there's also this, but it looks better than the PSP's. And this is just one site, so the polls are not necessarily accurate. But in a couple of others I've visited people seem to have the opinion that DS > PSP.
Sign In or Register to comment.