Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.
Options

Classical music

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
I was just wondering if anyone here listens to any classical music? If so, do you listen to the whole thing or is it like one of those compilation cds?

And what do you listen to, what do you like? Do you prefer something thunderous like Wagner or Mahler, or quiet and melodious like Mozart.

At the moment I am listening to Brahms' Hungarian Dances. I especially like no 5, very rousing. ;)
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    I do very much like Holst's Planet suite (has that got an e or not...? :confused: ) tis most good :thumb:
  • Options
    I should probably listen to more classical music, because I play a lot of it and I should probably listen for more for GCSE.

A few favourites are Grieg (especially Peer Gynt), Tchaikovksy, Vivaldi and Beethoven (I love playing/listening to Sonate Pathetique).

Oh, and while I dislike most of his stuff, Ride of the Valkyries is an amazing piece of music.
  • Options
    Originally posted by the doc horatio
    Grieg (especially Peer Gynt)

Morning was my favourite piece of music when I was about 5. :thumb:
  • Options
    i'm a bach kinda girl.
  • Options
    Doc, what do you play, btw?
  • Options
    I'm very fond of Requiems and Choral music, especially Gregorian chant.

I'm currently playing Zbigniew Preisner's Requiem For My Friend to death, it's a beautiful piece of music that proves that "classical" composing is not dead. That and I'm playing Barber's Agnus Dei a lot too.

I listen to the whole lot. HMV is the best place to go for classical music on the High Street, in the big stores they have a separate classical section and in most they sell a good selection of cheap classical CDs. Both CDs of Verdi's Requiem for £7.99, can't be bad.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Kermit
    Both CDs of Verdi's Requiem for £7.99, can't be bad.

His Dies Irae is fantastic! Day of wrath indeed.

Got to listen to it now. :D
  • Options
    Originally posted by Miffy
    His Dies Irae is fantastic! Day of wrath indeed.

Got to listen to it now. :D

I had the pleasure of seeing it performed in Durham Cathedral the other year by the University Choir.

It was absolutely awesome.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Kermit
    I had the pleasure of seeing it performed in Durham Cathedral the other year by the University Choir.

It was absolutely awesome.

I bet.

I prefer Mozart's Lacrymosa though. :chin:
  • Options
    Originally posted by Miffy
    I bet.

I prefer Mozart's Lacrymosa though. :chin:

It's a fine line between which Requiem is better. I slightly prefer Verdi's offering, but only just.

I'm also :heart:ing Pavane by Faure at the minute, especially the jazzy version that Lee Ritenour did the other year.
  • Options
    I'm another Bach fan as well, been listening to his cello suites a lot. Also love some of Chopins work as well.
  • Options
    i think there's a difference in what i like to listen to, and play...

i like to listen to just about anything.... but i dont' like to perform or play everything...

for example, i love to listen to a Bach Invention played, but i hate to play it..

but i love to play rachmaninoff, or brahms, but i can only listen to so much because it's so intense...

also love debussy

:)

okay that is all have a good day...
  • Options
    my creative zen came with loads of classical music on it cause its cheap, but its good :D