Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

phoning in sick

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I've work at the same place for a year an three months, only phoned in sick three times, thats THREE days out of god knows how many, i phone in sick today an they get REALLY bitchy an pretty much hung up on me! :mad: now i feel really guilty, even though i am honestly ill! :(

Comments

• Options
    Re: phoning in sick
    Originally posted by Foxxy_Cymru
    I've work at the same place for a year an three months, only phoned in sick three times, thats THREE days out of god knows how many, i phone in sick today an they get REALLY bitchy an pretty much hung up on me! :mad: now i feel really guilty, even though i am honestly ill! :(

I've had something like that happen to me. It's downright rude, but there's nothing you can do except be bitchy back to that person! If you're ill, it's better you're at home getting better than passing on germs to others. And I expect your record is nowhere near as bad as half of the other people you work with.
  • Options
    i know theres people that phone in sick every weekend with a hangover, im sure they dont get spoke to the way i did! i've got a kidney infection here :( my mum reckons i should ask to see thier sickness policy because she's a manager an knows that thier supposed to be polite an courtious (sp? ) :confused:
  • Options
    Originally posted by Foxxy_Cymru
    i know theres people that phone in sick every weekend with a hangover, im sure they dont get spoke to the way i did! i've got a kidney infection here :( my mum reckons i should ask to see thier sickness policy because she's a manager an knows that thier supposed to be polite an courtious (sp? ) :confused:

Sounds like good advice to me :) it's useful in case they ever sack you and use that as a reason. I really doubt you're doing anything against the company's rules. Though I strongly suggest you get a doctor's sick note.
  • Options
    I only do a sat an sun, so im hoping ill be okay to go back next weekend, so hopefully i wont need a doctors note. but im certainly going to ask about thier sickness policy!
  • Options
    Three times in three months, you want to be getting a doctor's note to cover your own arse. It is quite a lot, especially if you only work weekends.

I'm temping at the minute, and after two days sick they tell you to not bother coming back in again.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Kermit
    Three times in three months, you want to be getting a doctor's note to cover your own arse. It is quite a lot, especially if you only work weekends.

I'm temping at the minute, and after two days sick they tell you to not bother coming back in again.

I think it was a year and 3 months.
  • Options
    It's a harsh world out there. But if your only doing w/e and you call in sick to many times they will just fire you and get somebody new. As your not "key staff" as such.

Bopz

P.S. After working there for that long shouldnt you know most/all of the staff by now and therfore if any of them are rude give them a slappin (including managers)!
  • Options
    Originally posted by LacyMay
    I think it was a year and 3 months.

Oh, I read it that she'd been there a year and in the last three month she'd done it three times.

Cymru, you don't know how many people had called in sick before you. If you were the fourth that morning the managers will be pissed, and not strictly at you.
  • Options
    I remember when a girl I worked with had a car crash on her way to work and all the managers in the office were concerned about was when is she coming in to work that day?

She didn't get hurt but had to wait to have her car towed away and then catch the train into work and probabaly arrived about lunch time, but I remember thinking what a bitch the workplace can be. And it's not even if it's a small company or anything and they're the owners, they're just part of a multi Billion dollar US firm.
  • Options
    I hate phoning in sick at work. Esp when its not something that affects my voice as I think-they won't believe me if I;m chirpy but unless its a throat thing my voice is fine. I always get doctors notes if poss but if its a short illness then you have to do a self certification thing as far as I am aware.

If they have a word with you when you go back make sure a colleague accompanies you ok! I regret not doing this once when the snotty new personnel woman was evil to me! still that was my old job and thats all behind me woo!

hope you get sorted and get well!