Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.
Options

BlueTooth

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
So I finally got myself a BlueTooth Phone - Sont Ericsson T610 and it seems pretty cool.

Need a BlueTooth Dongle for my PC now,

1) where's the best bargains

2) I see there's 3 different ranges, 10m, 40m and 100m but what is the realistic range these go up to?

If I get a 100m one do you think it will work through several brick walls in the house?

Comments

• Options
    I am not sure how good bluetooth is at penetrating bricks but it does to an extent. It uses 2.4Ghz frequency if that helps.

I personally have a Belkin 10m which has always proved adequete for just transferring stuff from mobile to PC. Bear in mind bluetooth is quite slow its like going back to a 56Kbps modem again.

The thing I have never tried is will a 100m dongle actually be any use as surely the phone can't reply over that distance? If so surely then the longer range ones are for piconets and stuff or am I misunderstanding something?
  • Options
    JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    I've got a Belkin 10m and its well recommended. Getting anything above a 10m is pointless as phones only generate 10m anyway. I can connect from my PC upstairs to my phone downstairs no problem but I don't know about brick walls.
  • Options
    the 100m ones are only really used if your using bluetooth to say connect two pc's together.

i bought one of the cheap ones from ebay and its done me well, it works the full 10m (without obstructions)
  • Options
    http://www.pcwcomponentcentre.co.uk/icat/home

check this out a BT 100m Dynamode is cheaper here then ebuyer!!! :eek2: