Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.
Options

is pikey only a term used by southerners

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
to describe theiviing dirty chavs? only us londoners got what someone said wen 1 of us said "my little sisters pikey bf nicked my fone"

Comments

• Options
    Londoners wear white shoes and drink weak lager.
  • Options
    To me, pikey iss a derogatory term for travellers, rather than for townies.
  • Options
    Originally posted by the doc horatio
    To me, pikey iss a derogatory term for travellers, rather than for townies.

in my area the only travellers aint any any more, and they are theiving scum, well a couple of them are, but theres loads of pikeys here
  • Options
    A pykie isn't a Chav.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Felix Da Housecat
    A pykie isn't a Chav.

well in my town we tend to refer to dirty chavs who have 12yr old gfs and like harassing people for their fones as pikeys
  • Options
    Originally posted by wheresmyplacebo
    well in my town we tend to refer to dirty chavs who have 12yr old gfs and like harassing people for their fones as pikeys

But a Chav and a Pykie are tottaly diffrent. It's like refering a bus to a car.
  • Options
    *gone*
  • Options
    some travellors are pikeys, and most pikeys are travellors or chavs

racist? i bid thee not
  • Options
    i pretty much refer to chavs as the sport gear type and pykie as the poor scumbag type, similar but different
  • Options
    Originally posted by Felix Da Housecat
    But a Chav and a Pykie are tottaly diffrent. It's like refering a bus to a car.

:yes:

WTFs the obsession with every single town in Britain having a different name for neds anyway? Surely it'd be easier to just stick to the one :|
  • Options
    A pikey is a traveller. A skanger is a chav. Yes.
  • Options
    ive always considered a pikey the same as a chav but like Char_Baby said they tend to be the poor ones

and i really dont give a monkeys about the "Gramatically correct dictionary definiton" ok?
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,287 Skive's The Limit
    Pikey, Gypo, Cacker, Diddy-Koy - all the same thing, names for travellers.

An chav/chavi is term of endearment used by such people. It means mate or friend.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    wtf i live on the south coast and i never hear the word pikey being used ;<
  • Options
    i say gypo or nypo for travellers, skeet or spide for chav.
  • Options
    We've referred to them as charvers (note the 'r') since I was a little 'un. Never heard of a pikey except on these boards. :)
  • Options
    To me i've always know 'pikey' as a Nothern term for 'chav'.
  • Options
    Pikey is a gypsy/traveller or whatever, that's how I've always seen it. Fucking Pikeys!

Spide is a northern irish term for a Ned which is the scottish term for the english term Chav.

Simple isn't it.
  • Options
    Chavi which is often abbriviated to just chav to just mean 'friend'. The true origin of the word and the way I know and use it.

Pikey
    From the English "turnpike", the place where itinerent travellers and thieves would camp near a settlement.

Pikey is not a racial group, the term is used to describe anyone who lives in a caravan or shares the same values and "culture" of "the travelling community", and whose main sources of income are as follows:

Stealing cars, flogging roses in pubs for "childrens' charities", nicking lead off roofs, burgling garden sheds, blagging entry to old peoples house to rob them, doing dodgy tarmac jobs ("we've got some black stuff left over from a job up the road"), sometimes with mint imperials used as a substitute for white chippings, or, reportedly, using snow to lay slabs on when the sand ran out, stealing your bollocks if they weren't in a bag and anything else that's not nailed down and anything that is nailed down but will fit in the back of an untaxed Transit when nobody's looking.

Characterised by lurchers on a string, a unintelligible language that "isn't English, it isn't Irish, it's just Pikey", a penchant for harecoursing, ketamine, lighter fuel, fighting in pubs and shopping at Lidl.

Diddycoy, cacker, chavi, tinker, gyppo, pikey = all the same thing.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    pikeys around here have always been travellers.

chav is a relatively new word around here, as is scally. i'm pretty sure chav came from the north east, and scally from liverpool.

we used to refer to them just as 'dirty scratty bastards'.
  • Options
    Pikeys are the travellers that live in caravan's and wear cheap argos earning and chaps!

like trampy ghetto people if you will :D

and a chav is a burberry adidas name wearing whores... usually men well teenagers....
  • Options
    lets for once generalise, because in this case we can and just call them all scum
  • Options
    Ned tbh.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Jazza
    Ned tbh.

you talking about yourself again there? :psorry!!!!

Pikeys are gypos, chavs are townies
  • Options
    i HATE people having a go at travellers. the majority of them, a few who i've gone to school with, lived with in the same house, and grown up with , are lovely people and are simply hippys that move around a bit. i used to get called diddy-koy loads because i moved around loads (26 times in 15 years). just becuase a few travellers cause trouble doesn't mean that they all do. the ones that i knew that lived in the west country and north norfolk, are well spoken, well educated folk, that have good soild proper (and quite offten high paying) jobs. i have traveller friends in uni doing PhDs.

:mad:
  • Options
    Originally posted by MrG
    lets for once generalise, because in this case we can and just call them all scum

to add (and unfortunatly quote slipknot)

humans=shit.

now thats generalisation for you.
  • Options
    Originally posted by MrG

I don't agree. I can understand why many of you may call them [travellers] 'scum' because they're thieves, but in my experience they've been the most loyal and trustworthy people I've ever met.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Dunno about pikey, but for Chav see Scally in the North West