Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.
Options

swearing with the wrong word

This is probably going to be more of a rant than anything else but its something that really gets to me.
Recently I've noticed more and more people use words like spasticated and retarded like they are swear words.
Like its something to be ashamed of.
If I'm not mistaken isnt spastic the old (horrible) word for someone who has Cerebral Palsey? Nowt to be ashamed of there imo.

Using words like that is so childish and pathetic. I seriously want to hurt people who say it. It makes my blood boil to think that someone could be that fucking ignoant.

Ok rant over for now cos i've calmed down slightly.
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Dr PirateDr Pirate Posts: 8,303 Legendary Poster
    People who use such terms should have their heads rammed into a vice and the vice tightened til they explode :)
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Originally posted by Dr Pirate
    People who use such terms should have their heads rammed into a vice and the vice tightened til they explode :)

You always know just the right things to say to cheer a gal up:)
  • Options
    Dr PirateDr Pirate Posts: 8,303 Legendary Poster
    I do try :)
  • Options
    Re: swearing with the wrong word
    Originally posted by Zella
    Using words like that is so childish and pathetic.

True but it's kinda ingrained in the English Language by now, it certinaly was common for kids in my school to call someone a Spastic .. I guess the situation was so bad that why the Spastic's Society Changed their Name to Scope.
  • Options
    Re: Re: swearing with the wrong word
    Originally posted by DiamondGeezer
    True but it's kinda ingrained in the English Language by now, it certinaly was common for kids in my school to call someone a Spastic .

Yea was comman at my school an all, I still had a ago at anyone who said it. I've almost gotten glassed by some guy at the pub cos he was being such a dick saying stuff like that and I flipped at him.

imo I think its just as bad as saying n****r
  • Options
    it's the same with people saying "your gay" as an insult (although it seems to have moved more into ironic satire of the less intelligent internet users who have the vocabulary of an 8 year old now days)

but still, theres nothing to be ashamed of being gay.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Theydon Bois
    it's the same with people saying "your gay" as an insult (although it seems to have moved more into ironic satire of the less intelligent internet users who have the vocabulary of an 8 year old now days)

but still, theres nothing to be ashamed of being gay.

Gay in the old sence of the word means happy and joyful
  • Options
    precisely, but the only thing it will bring to anyone of our generation is a s******...

edit: fine then, a chuckle, or giggle, not a sniger :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Re: Re: Re: swearing with the wrong word
    Originally posted by Zella
    Yea was comman at my school an all, I still had a ago at anyone who said it. I've almost gotten glassed by some guy at the pub cos he was being such a dick saying stuff like that and I flipped at him.

imo I think its just as bad as saying n****r

To be honest I think in such a situation you're better off not saying anything ..

Imagine if you had been glassed, it's not worth it .. something like that would have scarred you for life and ruined your chances in job interviews, meeting people, etc.

Reminds me of when some girl almost glassed me in Brighton when I was doing nothing but walking down the street. She had 5 other friends with her .. another 2 girls and 3 big guys and I was on my own.

I got punched once and in 4 seconds had to decide what to do - ... fight and probabaly break the £250 Camera I was carrying and probably end up glassed or walkaway and then there's the hassle of dealing with the police and te aftermarth.

As I walked away some woman on the street said you should have slapped her ... but who knows what her friends would have done after that.

Some people just simply aren't worth your effort and some people are..
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    In another forum I visit, someone asked if there's any "trick" he can do to avoid going to the army (it's an obligation :() and almost everyone else on the boards started calling him gay :eek: :eek: :eek: And those were people my age, and they were acting as if we were living in an isolated village in 1920...
  • Options
  • Options
    Originally posted by Zalbor
    In another forum I visit, someone asked if there's any "trick" he can do to avoid going to the army (it's an obligation :() and almost everyone else on the boards started calling him gay :eek: :eek: :eek: And those were people my age, and they were acting as if we were living in an isolated village in 1920...

Random?
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    Originally posted by Felix Da Housecat
    Random?
    Random what?
  • Options
    One of my friends has a habit of calling everyone a div and a spaz. He does it in everyday conversation. He also calls people c**t quite a bit.

It pisses me right off and I want to headbutt him at times. :mad:
  • Options
    Originally posted by x0x_kayz_x0x
    One of my friends has a habit of calling everyone a div and a spaz. He does it in everyday conversation. He also calls people c**t quite a bit.

It pisses me right off and I want to headbutt him at times. :mad:

LIGHTEN UP, FAGGOT.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Kiezo
    LIGHTEN UP, FAGGOT.

You know it would be fine him doing that and I wouldn't mind as much if it was an equal thing.

We could be talking and he'd say something like "Shut up man ya daft c**t" and if I were to insult him back he'd go in a right huff and be all "What ya sayin' that for like? I was only joking ya daft bastard man"

He's my friend and I love him ta bits but this is one of his faults, I feel.

I'm not a fag by the way!
  • Options
    Not exactly a random thread this.

Ignore the stuck-up cow who said it. It's what I try to do.
  • Options
    it's what people do.

most people don't even realise, i don't think. same way people say stuff like 'she's an obsessive compulsive cleaner' and 'she went schizo' and 'urgh she's all anorexic'. what can you do?

i call people mental patients quite a lot, but i think it's permissible, because i am one.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Kermit
    Not exactly a random thread this.

Ignore the stuck-up cow who said it. It's what I try to do.

Its not just her, yes its cos of her that I wrote this but people round here seem to have started using it again and it really gets on my tits