Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.
Options

Pc Gaming

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I seem to be posting here a lot lately (I'm a bit thick when it comes to computers.

Basically what I want to be able to do is be able to run top spec games such as Doom 3 and Half Life 2 on full graphics on my PC, which right now it certainly will not do.

I currently have an AMD Athlon XP2700+ which runs at 1.5 GHz, a Radeon 9250 graphics card and 512MB of RAM.

I have been recommended to get another 512MB of RAM and a decent graphics card. Would this be all I need and could anyone suggest a good graphics card that preferably isn't too pricey (though I'm guessing I'd expect to pay at least £300...).

Thankies :D

Comments

• Options
    haha yes.. double your ram.

as for a graphic card, go for ATI, in my opinion they are far more supirior to nvidia, although I don't know what the latest graphic cards out are,

Look here

This looks good

ETA you might want to upgrade your Processor aswell,
  • Options
    Dr PirateDr Pirate Posts: 8,303 Legendary Poster
    Much better than the ATi equivilant

As for RAM, you shouldnt need to upgrade it yet, it would be preferable to upgrade your processor to atleast 2GHz, as Doom Is intensly graphical and requires nearly all your system resources.
  • Options
    Re: Pc Gaming
    Originally posted by chaos_insomniac

I currently have an AMD Athlon XP2700+ which runs at 1.5 GHz

why oh WHY does it run at 1.5 ghz ?!?!

i have a ATHLON XP 1800+ and it runs at 1.53 GHZ, and thats the standard speed it should run at.
  • Options
    Personly I would keep away from the Geforce, i just don't like them as much as ATI although they're just as good, it's my personal preference,

First. upgrade your GFX Card and then your processer, lastly do your ram, btw, is it DDR ram?
  • Options
    Originally posted by Hellfire
    First. upgrade your GFX Card and then your processer, lastly do your ram, btw, is it DDR ram?

Dont often get SIMM RAM anymore =\
  • Options
    Personly I would keep away from the Geforce, i just don't like them as much as ATI although they're just as good, it's my personal preference,

I think it depends on what you have been used to. I would not move away from GeForce cards.

I have a Leadtek Geforce 6800 GT. It is prettyfuckinggood.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Dr Pirate
    Dont often get SIMM RAM anymore =\

I still got SIMM ram :(

and... I suppose it's your personal preference on GFX, there is not a ton between them i suppose,
  • Options
    dont bother arguing over ati or nvidia, how much you willing to spend, if you go £100ish get a ati 9800 pro or geforce 5900

if you got £200 you may find a 2nd hand geforce 6800 or 6600 ;)

or you can buy a new one for under £300
  • Options
    I still got SIMM ram :(

SHAME!! ;p
  • Options
    Originally posted by Dr Pirate
    SHAME!! ;p

haha well my pc is the least of my worries atm.. X mas soon and i am skint :(
  • Options
    Re: Re: Pc Gaming
    Originally posted by jake0
    why oh WHY does it run at 1.5 ghz ?!?!

i have a ATHLON XP 1800+ and it runs at 1.53 GHZ, and thats the standard speed it should run at.

Are you over clocking it?

ETA: Sorry it's 2.15 GHz not 1.5 :blush:
  • Options
    Sounds like your PC should be up to playing the latest games without any problems. And I doubt you'll have any problems with it running slowly/jerkily unless you turn all the graphics options to maximum quality and it gets a bit busy on the screen.
  • Options
    Re: Re: Re: Pc Gaming
    Originally posted by chaos_insomniac
    Are you over clocking it?

ETA: Sorry it's 2.15 GHz not 1.5 :blush:

no, no overclocking nothhing.

the AMD ATHLON XP1800+ operates at 1.53ghz as standard.