Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.
Options

ok you good people...your chance to help!

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
here you go...a chance to feel good about yourselves by helping someone in desperate need!

ive got an essay to write...but need an idea for a senario!

as some of u will know, im studying as a student nurse..my essay is on patient confidentiality and i need a senario to base it on.

something like a breach of confideniality....like a 14 year old girl gets pregnant and the doctor tells the parents (which they arent allowed to do)

ideas please im very stuck!

Comments

• Options
    perhaps she wants something less typical. A councillor talking to someone else, parents/teachers about matters discussed in a private session?
  • Options
    Um, just what I saw off Neighbours - when Stef found out she had cancer and Karl wanted to breach all the confidentiality to tell Max and Lyn and stuff because she'd need their support

Or (again from neighbours) how naughty Darcy (ex-doc now evil convict) found out that Izzy's baby is not Karl's even though Karl believes it is and tried to tell Karl...before he fell down the stairs and fell into a coma and Izzy planted her jewlerry (sp?!) on him and pretended he thieved it...

Ok...those are just...stuff not off the top of my head but hey they're suggestions

Good luck with your essay

Malt Munk xxx :):):)
  • Options
    Or more Neighbours, today Boyd got beaten up and Karl suspected so stuck his nose in and told both Max and Susan. Is there no such thing as confidentiality in Neighbours?!
  • Options
    The Neighbour's example is a good one.

How about a couple bringing their kid in for a blood test and from the result (cos you're a super knowledgable nurse) you realise that there is no way both these people could be the parents of this child.

i.e. maybe the kid is adopted and don't know it, or the Mrs was having it off with someone else 10 years ago and he's not the father!!

Isn't it something like two blue eyed parents can't have a brown eyed child??
  • Options
    yeah i dont want to do the one i said, its to hard :(

thanx for your suggestions everyone....they have to be something nurse related, its meant to be something we've experienced but as nothing i came across breached confidentiality im making it up (which we're also allowed to do) but its got to be something which could have happened

keep the ideas coming!
  • Options
    Originally posted by blonde__batman

thanx for your suggestions everyone....they have to be something nurse related, its meant to be something we've experienced but as nothing i came across breached confidentiality im making it up (which we're also allowed to do) but its got to be something which could have happened

keep the ideas coming!

Oh I was watching ER the other day, this example probabaly is more related to an American hospital but inthe story the guy's kid goes into hospital and during routine tests they discover the kid is a diabetic .. in it Dr Carter (the real one not the site's resident Doc) has to (BY LAW) put the info on his chart. But the father goes up to him and says he's just started a new job and his whole family will qualify for full medical cover in 3 months for any conditions that aren't pre-existing.. ie.. if Carter puts it down on the chart then the father won't get any insurance for his son's diabetes. And the father's moter is a diabetic so he can use her medicine for the 3 months and already know how to care for the condition so the kid wouldn't suffer for 3 months.

So Carter has to decide whether to accidently lose the sheet that said he has diabetes or report it.
  • Options
    I saw on Holby City a girl had cancer, think she was around 15 or 16 and she only had about a year to live and the nurse told her Dad who wanted to keep it from the daughter.
  • Options
    Originally posted by *milky way*
    I saw on Holby City a girl had cancer, think she was around 15 or 16 and she only had about a year to live and the nurse told her Dad who wanted to keep it from the daughter.

No wonder Medial shows are so popular there's just so many possible story lines with so many conflicts!!
  • Options
    Originally posted by blonde__batman

keep the ideas coming!
    You build up a good rapport and the patient tells you something important but asks you not to tell the doctors. I'm sure that must happen all the time. eg Liver transplant patient drinking copious amounts of booze, or COPD patient still smoking despite telling doc he's stopped, or female patient shares something with female nurse but doesn't want to tell male doctor, or patient wants to be discharged so doesn't tell doctor about symptoms but tells you......etc
  • Options
    Chicago Hope is on ITV3 in about 15 minutes.. LOL
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    Perhaps this isn't helpful at all, but it can't hurt to say it. I can't think of something specific, but can there be a situation where the nurse/doctor tells someone something the patiend wanted to keep a secret, and earns money by that?
  • Options
    Originally posted by Zalbor
    Perhaps this isn't helpful at all, but it can't hurt to say it. I can't think of something specific, but can there be a situation where the nurse/doctor tells someone something the patiend wanted to keep a secret, and earns money by that?
    Hard to make an essay out of that though - it's so obviously wrong.
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    Originally posted by Kentish
    Hard to make an essay out of that though - it's so obviously wrong.
    Hm, right. I missed the point.
    You'll have to excuse me, it's late...
  • Options
    What about woman comes to hospital with suspected broken arm. She is telling you she tripped over and you know she aint telling you everything, so you dig a bit deeper. You find out that her hubby did this to her but on top of the arm he also kicked her in the stomach and when you have a look her stomach looks really bad and you think a doctor should really check this patient over. She has made you promise to tell NOBODY because she knows if her hubby found out he would beat her again.

Do you speak to a doc cos your really worried about the stomach as you feel thats more urgent than her arm or do you say nothing and hope that the stomach is not as bad as you thought ?
  • Options
    something i saw on casulty....a paitants comes in, gives a faulse name and faulse details. She is given an anisthetic but 2 mins after you are told that she's alergic.

Have a got the wrong idea? Cos everyone seems to be talking about brech of confidentuality but your asking for other things as well arnt you?

There are so many things you can look at, have a flick through your text book. There should be somthing somewhere on person centered care and look at the many things it talks about.
  • Options
    thanx guys, they were useful.

zella - what i wanted was kinda breaches of confidentiality, but yeah other ideas too.

i just need an idea to get me started and i'll be fine!
  • Options
    how about older people. everyone always think confidentiality issues = young people.

how about if an old lady was in hospital, and someone told her son that she was dying against her wishes?
  • Options
    Originally posted by kaffrin

how about if an old lady was in hospital, and someone told her son that she was dying against her wishes?

yeah thats a good one

or if someone was dying, and their family asked the nurse not to say anything but then the patient asks if they are dying