Home Drink & Drugs
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Chewing my face to pieces slowly

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hiya

Has anyone had any serious consequences of chewing their cheeks, gums etc too much?

During last years bad pill habit, I pretty much chewed the whole inside of my mouth into a swollen mess.

Bit's on the inside of my lips are so swollen, you can see small changes in the shape of my face on the outside..

Anyways, since I didn't drop for about 10 months, I've been constantly biting them in my sleep, and I mean badly, waking up some times with dry blood on my lips (gross I know!) but every day they are swollen and mashed.

I think I need a special gum sheild off the dentist but I haven't been for ages - but other than that - what can I do? And are these lumps and swells permanent now because they've been mashed so much?

Just for info, they normally come out more if I've been drinking/smoking dope - but especially bad (if at all) when I'm stressed/angry :(

Cheers

Phil

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    tbh i think the best thing would be to seek advice from your GP :yes:

he could probably help you with the sleeping related problems and suggest some treatments. I reall wouldnt like to suggest anything else tbh, best to let someone who can see and interpret the problem in a more informed context :yes;

hope it gets better man :)
    There maybe scar tissue there that is easily irritated by your teeth.

In the short term if there are ulcers and the like you might find that a hydrogen peroxide based mouthwash helpful.

I would also go and have a visit with either your GP or dentist, personally I'd pick the GP first because they'll be easier to see.
  • JadedJaded Posts: 2,682 Boards Guru
    Cheese, I'm not sure if it is something NHS Direct could help you with, but it never hurts to try anyway. But really, I recommend you go and see your GP as soon as you can, the solution may be really simple.
    been there mate

sorry to hear its happened to ya. Im an occasional user (once a month-ish), but i dropped 5 in a club, when i got home in the morning, all my teeth were covered in blood, and there was a lump missing out of my bottom lip! Its well scarey and i carried on doing it for a week after id dropped without realising, I chipped three teeth whilst talking to a friend. It stopped suddenly, so im guessing coz u said that u've had a bad habit on them, maybe they're still affecting your brain (like what happened to me but on a much bigger scale). It'll probably just stop by itself mate.
    I'm a mild gurner and I find bonjella is an absolute darling the next morning, heh...
    Chewing gum usually helps but preventing gum damage while sleeping is a bit more tricky.

Gum shield sounds like a fairly good solution. Don't think you need to go to dentist though? I remember picking one up for rugby from a sports store for about a fiver. You mould it yourself by putting it in hot water and then biting it.
    I only really grind my teeth...I've heard of people who, after taking loads of pills over a period of time, sometimes just suddenly start grinding - without being high, to the extent of people asking them if they're on E lol...i'm thinking of just shoving a shitload of chewing/bubblegum in my mouth next time i'm taking them, hopefully cut down on damage to the teeth :yes: .