Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.
Options

Online gaming

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Yesterday I realised Serious Sam was playable online. My God I had fun. Today I got Quake 3 Arena and it rocks online, but the connection keeps jittering. I'm running at 512kb/s, is there any way to stop the jittering? By jittering I mean it keeps slowing down while I play.

Also what games are good online? I'm a fan of FPS games right now but am open to all.

And what games don't require as much connection speed and will run smoothly online?

Any help appreciated :)

Comments

• Options
    Re: Online gaming
    Originally posted by chaos_insomniac
    Yesterday I realised Serious Sam was playable online. My God I had fun. Today I got Quake 3 Arena and it rocks online, but the connection keeps jittering. I'm running at 512kb/s, is there any way to stop the jittering? By jittering I mean it keeps slowing down while I play.

Also what games are good online? I'm a fan of FPS games right now but am open to all.

And what games don't require as much connection speed and will run smoothly online?

are you sure thats not just the graphics cause i only have a 512 and never have had problems with online gaming before unless it was a slow jittery graphics card
  • Options
    Re: Online gaming

as mrg could be graphics card, but it seems like youve palyed quake 3 before, best idea is to make sure you aint running p2p software in background and running the game at a slightly lower resolution seems to work too

probably just their servers and lag though, find uk servers or european servers, as they should work better (less distance) which is the main thing that affects online gaming speed, other than connection, but 512 is fine
  • Options
    Yeah I can bet it's a gfx card problem and not your connection. Take a look at the below:

GFX Card Tweak

Your best bet will be asking here
  • Options
    Originally posted by Felix Da Housecat
    Yeah I can bet it's a gfx card problem and not your connection. Take a look at the below:

GFX Card Tweak

Your best bet will be asking here

my card is overclocked etc etc already ;)
  • Options
    warhammer 40k dawn of war (a tad geeky I know...) is rather good online :)

but I've been playing counterstrike source recently, that's ace :)

if your latency is high, that would be causing your lag, make sure no one is using bittorent, or any file sharing programs that are uploading files, as this will destroy your connection...
  • Options
    Originally posted by wheresmyplacebo
    my card is overclocked etc etc already ;)

I don't mean that, I mean getting the right settings in the actual game. You can have the best gfx card about but if it isn't set right in the game then you will get gfx lag.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Felix Da Housecat
    I don't mean that, I mean getting the right settings in the actual game. You can have the best gfx card about but if it isn't set right in the game then you will get gfx lag.

oh on chaos problem it seems he played the game beforehand so it seems to be a new problem
  • Options
    Go with the classics....Half Life....deathmatch, opposing force, fort etc....though counterstrike can stick it up its arse....who needs realism...pah.

Peace
  • Options
    Originally posted by Theydon Bois
    warhammer 40k dawn of war (a tad geeky I know...) is rather good online :)

but I've been playing counterstrike source recently, that's ace :)

if your latency is high, that would be causing your lag, make sure no one is using bittorent, or any file sharing programs that are uploading files, as this will destroy your connection...

bit torrent....that's probably it!

Oh and by the way both Serious Sam and Quake 3 run fine offline, on full graphics, at full speed. It's just online it keeps saying things like "stabalising connection" on Serious Sam for a couple of miliseconds every few seconds and the same for Quake 3. Occassionally it'll pause for like a whole second and by the time I get control back I will have walked off a ledge or been shot to death. It's highly annoying...
  • Options
    bit torrent....that's probably it!

yup, any file sharing thing, like bit torrent, that uploads files will really reeeaaaally slow your ocnnection down.

just dont use them! :p (well, not if you want decent browser speed, or a good latency for online gaming anyways...)
  • Options
    yeah turn off anything that wants to steal your bandwidth....

and quake3 is awesome online, i played that game to death (and on 56k!)