Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.
Options

DOS or Linux MP3 and Movie Player?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I was wondering if there's any like a DOS or Linux MP3 or Movie player program I could use on my laptop when travelling?

Something which basically uses very low power and perhaps can load a number of songs into RAM and play them from there turning off the HD to save battery power?

Would be useful for instance on a plane where I have to run my HP Omnibook P3 500 MHz Laptop off it's battery which at the best of times will only last 2 hours max!

Comments

• Options
    The best multimedia program (when I say multimedia I mean music & video) for multiple operating systems has got to be VLC. Its open source and is updated every 3 to 6 months. It can open all sorts of files (and codecs) from .mp3 to .aac to .asf to .mov (it can even play cd, vcds and dvds)

It can be found under the VLC section of VideoLan at:
    VideoLan

there is also VLS by VideoLan which is a Multimedia streaming application.

VLC is available for most Linux's/Unix's (will need X11/X-Windows), as well as Mac and Others.

- Hope this helps you, I think VLC is fantastic.

- From Daniel. :D
  • Options
    i simply cant add as to how great VLC media player is, literally it can play ANY file format / type you chuck at it. a fantastic piece of software.