Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.
Options

Ungratefull

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
This was triggered by another post i read.

If someone bought you a present would you tell them if you didn't like it? Or would you just act gratefull?

I wouldn't tell them, at least not for a while.

Comments

• Options
    id pretend I loved it, then take it back/sell it/stash it at the back of the cupboard to give to someone else next year.
    I would not tell someone I hated it.
  • Options
    If they have gone to the bother of buying you something then you should at least pretend that you like it.

You might never use/wear it ever again, but its bad form to tell them you dont like it.

You can tell though if someone really likes something.

Of course there is the option of perhaps leaving the receipt in the case/box that way if they dont like that exact one they could exchange it without any words needing to be exchanged.
  • Options
    Originally posted by bongbudda
    If they have gone to the bother of buying you something then you should at least pretend that you like it.

You might never use/wear it ever again, but its bad form to tell them you dont like it.

You can tell though if someone really likes something.

Of course there is the option of perhaps leaving the receipt in the case/box that way if they dont like that exact one they could exchange it without any words needing to be exchanged.

Thats what i think.
  • Options
    ungrateful people really bother me. that person didn't HAVE to get them anything, so anything they do get is a bonus.

if i didn't know them very well, i'd pretend to love it, no matter what.

if i knew them really well (family, boyfriend, etc) i'd pretend i liked it at the time, and then if it was something that could be exchanged, i'd say it didn't look right on/colour didn't suit me/whatever, and would they mind if i swapped it for something else.
  • Options
    Exactly, my brother got me a belt last year, now it wasnt a bad belt, its quite nice, but it was a very dull Christmas present.

But I didnt tell him that, I thanked him and so on.
  • Options
    When my mother and Auntie bought me the same present, I pretended that I'd never seen the book before and was very appreciative. I gave it to a charity shop after though ;)
  • Options
    If i bought someone a prezzie they didn't like i would rather they tell me so i could change it for something they did like, otherwise it's a waste of money. I wouldn't think it ungrateful, but then anyone i buy a prezzie for probably knows me well enough to be able to tell me without offending me
  • Options
    Originally posted by Charlie'dAngel
    If i bought someone a prezzie they didn't like i would rather they tell me so i could change it for something they did like, otherwise it's a waste of money. I wouldn't think it ungrateful, but then anyone i buy a prezzie for probably knows me well enough to be able to tell me without offending me

even so, there's a huge difference between:

'i really appreciate the thought, but it's not really my thing, and would you mind if i swapped it for something else? hell, we could even go shopping together for it and make it a day out.... blah blah'.

and

'i don't like it.'

i wouldn't mind the first at all, but if anyone ever said the second, i'd never buy them anything ever again :)
  • Options
    Originally posted by bongbudda
    If they have gone to the bother of buying you something then you should at least pretend that you like it. You might never use/wear it ever again, but its bad form to tell them you dont like it.

Agreed :p
    It's only manners, but it's flustrating (sp?) at the same time.
  • Options
    Originally posted by kaffrin
    even so, there's a huge difference between:

'i really appreciate the thought, but it's not really my thing, and would you mind if i swapped it for something else? hell, we could even go shopping together for it and make it a day out.... blah blah'.

and

'i don't like it.'

i wouldn't mind the first at all, but if anyone ever said the second, i'd never buy them anything ever again :)

No i would be well pissed off if they weren't very nice about it, i'd tell them to shove it up their arse then. :yes:
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    Originally posted by kaffrin
    That's what I think is the right thing to say, but still I couldn't bring myself to...
  • Options
    One should always accept gifts gratefully, lest you get a lump of coal next time for your cheek.
  • Options
    I accept them and say thanks etc and just put them in the cupboard and forget about them.