Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.
Options

worried to pieces.....

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I should really make this into several different threads really but to be honest it covers so many different things and they are all inter-kinda-link-ish (sorry for my inventing of new words, it becoming a very bad habit....:S)

ok.

Well, for one i'm going to music college, which is going well. and i'm starting a city and guilds sound engineering course in january. but, i really don't know if this is going to be enough for getting me some kind of work. By the time i'm going to have finished this course, and the other things i'm doing along side it i should have as qualifications: Trinity music college: grade 5 vocals, grade 5 guitar, Associated board grade 5 music theory, and city and guilds level 3 sound enginerring qualification. is that really going to be enough to get me even a basic sound engineering job? and how the hell am i gonna get from that to music production...? This is worrying me and also making me feel a total faliure that i haven't got any GCSES. i'm not going to be able to take all that lot and an English language, combined sciences, maths, IT, and spanish GCSES. But other people my age have got their GCSES, am i that stupid that i can't? This and other things are really making me very depressed, and i can't seem to be able to get any help because my medical insurance doesn't cover it and the doctors here will not diagnose me with anything more specific than depression and they will not prescribe me with anything for it, that has to be done by a psychiatrist (sp?). And i've got a consert next sunday, which i'm incredably nervous about because there could be anything up to 2000 people there. i've never sung to that many people before.

and also my best mate is worring me, she seems a bit down, and she is consistantly going off with guys and then nothing coming of it. she says she does it because she's lonely. and she's started taking MDMA as well, which worries me a bit because i know that she's using to escape from herself. it really worries me.

And i'm lonely myself. i keep getting rejected all the time, well, ok, 3 times in 3 weeks which ok, i'm really very sensitive right now, but it's hurting lots. it's been making me think about the past as well, and i'm worried that i'm going to go back to old patterns, and i'm going to do something to myself. i really am.

please help me out a little bit if you can in some way....

Comments

• Options
    What have you got? other than the music thingys? Any spanish qualifications?

Have you tried applying for jobs already?
  • Options
    Originally posted by Fiend_85
    What have you got? other than the music thingys? Any spanish qualifications?

Have you tried applying for jobs already?

no, i went to english school, not spanish school, and wasn't able to finish my GCSES.

and i haven't, but thats because no one is even gonna think of employing a 15 year old without qualifications for anything i'm looking to do, i.e. sound enginerring...

and to add, i'll be 16 when i finish my year at college...And i'm planning on moving back to england....in a year and a half
  • Options
    And i've got a consert next sunday
    It seems as though that is the most immediate concern... try focusing your energy on that for the time being.

How about making an appointment with a careers adviser to discuss your studies and aspirations for the future? - They could help you organize your plans and maybe give you a bit of reassurance aswell.

I would also say, if this is possible, if you feel that your depression and the way you are feeling is affecting your ability to concentrate on your work... maybe you could seek some counselling advice - maybe at your school or college?
    (It's ironic me saying that I know, but you could just find it helpful?!)

As for your friend try talking to her and telling her your concerns.
  • Options
    Originally posted by otter
    It seems as though that is the most immediate concern... try focusing your energy on that for the time being.

How about making an appointment with a careers adviser to discuss your studies and aspirations for the future? - They could help you organize your plans and maybe give you a bit of reassurance aswell.

I would also say, if this is possible, if you feel that your depression and the way you are feeling is affecting your ability to concentrate on your work... maybe you could seek some counselling advice - maybe at your school or college?
    (It's ironic me saying that I know, but you could just find it helpful?!)

As for your friend try talking to her and telling her your concerns.

unfortunatly living in spain, there arn't things like careers adviser, my college won't be able to help me, and my friend fobs me off with "don't worry i'm fine"

:(

sorry i've just picked your post to pieces
  • Options
    What about talking to one of your tutors then instead of a careers advisor?
    that has to be done by a psychiatrist
    Could you ask your GP for an appointment to a psychiatrist?
  • Options
    Originally posted by otter
    Could you ask your GP for an appointment to a psychiatrist?

my medical insurance doen't cover it.
  • Options
    For a start, dont start taking on your friends problems.
  • Options
    Originally posted by rachie004
    I'm *really* surpised that you managed to get onto a level 3 course with no GCSEs

and that all your other friends your age, seem to have GCSEs at the age of 15? maybe you all over super human intelligence?

IMO I think you're right to think it be unrealistic to get a job in sound engineering at the age of 16, have you thought about going to Uni?

No A levels= no uni...............:(
  • Options
    Originally posted by rachie004
    level 3 course = equivalent to a levls :)

AH! i didn't know that! hehe.....

just doing what exactly?
  • Options
    Chill out mate, one step at a time.
  • Options
    I'm not sure what exactly it is that you want us to do about all this.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Fiend_85
    Chill out mate, one step at a time.

i know. i can just see myself turning up in england next january-march, and being forced to go back to school and having to have a part time job as well, and struggling to pay the rent etc and it ll going wrong......i really do worry to much.....
  • Options
    Originally posted by Mist
    I'm not sure what exactly it is that you want us to do about all this.

to be honest, right now, neither do i.
  • Options
    Some level 3 courses are equivelent to A levels. Bear in mind though, that if you want to go to university in england with your qualifications so far, you could always do a degree with a foundation year or take a HND route to get your degree: both of those are only an extra year - so 4 years instead of 3 at university; and you can start them with hardly any qualifications at all, and they are offered by a lot of institutions nationwide.
    Since you haven't got a careers advisor, check out the connexions website as a starting point:
    http://www.connexions.gov.uk/jobs4u/
    and there is always the ucas website too:
    www.ucas.ac.uk/
    And I still would urge you to talk to your tutors and get some advice from them.
    Don't panic until you've explored all options.
  • Options
    Someone I know has a job as a sound engineer in a studio in San Fransisco (he emigrated last year). He has a degree (but not in anything related to the music industry). He basically got the job through work experience and taking a great interest in the music industry in general, which is probably going to be very hard given both your age and location.

My advice would be to aim a little lower for the next few years and work your way up to something like that.
  • Options
    Originally posted by BumbleBee
    Someone I know has a job as a sound engineer in a studio in San Fransisco (he emigrated last year). He has a degree (but not in anything related to the music industry). He basically got the job through work experience and taking a great interest in the music industry in general, which is probably going to be very hard given both your age and location.

My advice would be to aim a little lower for the next few years and work your way up to something like that.

*hug*

sounds like a good idea, how about a local radio station???
  • Options
    Originally posted by wheresmyplacebo
    *hug*

sounds like a good idea, how about a local radio station???

what ever i do, i'm going to have to come back to the UK to do it. there are no jobs in music out here that are going to lead to anything.