Home Drink & Drugs
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Cannabis linked to mental illness risk

2»

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Originally posted by CheeseOnToast
    Why else do you think I bought it ? ;)
    don't forget to remove it from the car before using it ...i'm sure bong can tell you how unhealthy an unleaded can be ...
    Originally posted by Kentish
    Some would deny it. Including Blagsta.

Stop misrepresenting my position you clueless cunt. :mad:
    I've never denied a link. Try reading my posts more carefully. :mad:
    Originally posted by morrocan roll
    From the original paper
    Conclusion Cannabis use moderately increases the risk of psychotic symptoms in young people but has a much stronger effect in those with evidence of predisposition for psychosis
    thats the bit i meany to reply to if anyones confused.

Which has always been my position. Take note Kentish.
    Originally posted by Blagsta
    Stop misrepresenting my position you clueless cunt. :mad:
    I've never denied a link. Try reading my posts more carefully. :mad:
    I apologise if I've misrepresented your views. My comment was based on this:
    Actually the jury is still out on this one. I agree that it is not good for some people's mental health, but it doesn't seem to cause any long lasting damage. Yes, it can precipate pyschosis in a small minority of people, but the general consensus seems to be that it only does this for people that are pre-disposed to it.
    For the vast majority of people, the symptoms dissapear a few weeks after stopping smoking.
    No, it's not harmless, but in moderation its not too bad.
    Equivocal to say the least.
    psychiatric nurses will often put cannabis down as a reason for psychosis if the patient mentions that they might have a smoke occasionally, even if it's not much of a factor.
    Denying the ability of mental health professionals to associate risk with outcome.
  • JadedJaded Posts: 2,682 Boards Guru
    Actually to be fair, a few of the mental health professionals I spoke to about it were concerned that this line of research may result in clients being diagnosed with cannabis linked psychosis as an easy catch-all - during assessment if a client mentions they are a heavy smoker, that could be what the problem is attributed to.

And Blagsta, that was a bit unnecessary don't you think?
    I apologise if I've misrepresented your views. My comment was based on this:

Equivocal to say the least.

Yes, which is pretty much the view of most of the medical profession. It can precipitate psychosis in vulnerable people.
    Denying the ability of mental health professionals to associate risk with outcome.

No, that's not what I said. What I said is that quite often it is easier to blame cannabis than delve into deeper emotional and psychodynamic issues. Please don't quite me selectively. :mad:
    Originally posted by LadyJade
    Actually to be fair, a few of the mental health professionals I spoke to about it were concerned that this line of research may result in clients being diagnosed with cannabis linked psychosis as an easy catch-all - during assessment if a client mentions they are a heavy smoker, that could be what the problem is attributed to.

Thank you. :)
    Originally posted by LadyJade
    And Blagsta, that was a bit unnecessary don't you think?

I don't like my professional opinions being misrepresented by some clueless kid.

Actually its not really that, mental health nurses work under very tight time restrictions, and a lot of the time with set questions they need to ask.
  • JadedJaded Posts: 2,682 Boards Guru
    I don't like my professional opinions being misrepresented by some clueless kid.

I understand, but you have a large vocabulary at your disposal. You could be a bit more creative...
    Nah, I call a spade a spade, me.
    No, that's not what I said. What I said is that quite often it is easier to blame cannabis than delve into deeper emotional and psychodynamic issues. Please don't quite me selectively. :mad:
    Fair enough. That is true.
    Like everyone else on here, I can only speak of my own experience. If you have more experience of something, or an expert view, then I'd love to hear it. But there's no need to patronise and stomp your feet when someone expresses an opposing view.
    I always give you my expert view when it comes to drugs and drug treatment. You choose to ignore it.
    I always give you my expert view when it comes to drugs and drug treatment. You choose to ignore it.
    I never ignore your views Blagsta, even if I disagree with them sometimes. I'm here to learn as well as argue, despite what you may think. :)