Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.
Options

Driving terror

Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
This could have gone in "health", as it's purely a psychological problem, but...
Anyway, let me begin by something irrelevant, to help explain something later on. This is one of the many similar things that had happened to me at school.
We had a math test, and I knew every answer. So while solving an equation, I already knew how to do it, and all that remained was to write it down on paper. As I was writing it, suddenly the teacher came over my head and looked at what I was writing (teachers do that sometimes at tests). At that moment, the pen fell from my hand and I lost, forgot, everything I had in my mind. Just like it had somehow flown away. When the teacher left, I had to try and remember why I had written what was there already, in essence starting over.
That didn't happen only in math, but at whatever. The reason was that normally I have my answers written down on paper and the teacher is supposed to look at them later and see if what I did was right or wrong. But when he was looking at it while I was writing it, he was evaluating at least a part of my test at the same moment that I was writing it, and that's what made me lose it all.

To the point now: I've already failed a driving test twice, and for the same reason: I forget to release the handbrake. It's not that I don't know that I should do it and it's NOT that I'm not used to doing it every time I start the car (I never did this mistake at the lessons). The reason is that it's just like the math teacher is looking at my paper: I'm being evaluated at the same time that I'm doing what I'm supposed to do, and so all that I know and am used to doing gets suddenly forgotten.
I'm not sure why that is a problem for me, but I had to point out that it's not a matter of learning to drive.

Now even the idea of going for a test again literally terrifies me, and my teacher says (and he's right) that as long as I'm terrified of taking the test, there's no use trying and that I have to resolve the problem first.
So, what I'm asking is, how do I go about finding out why "live examinations" scares me so much, and how do I solve it?
Thanks to anyone who read this far...

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Why not try mock tests with your instructor?? Not just an examination but act out live exactly what happens in a driving test - drive to the test centre, get out and then come back to the car with your "examiner" check numberplates etc. and then get him to take you on a proper test route with his clip board and mark you down exactly as would happen in a test, giving you no instructions other than where to go. Might work, just a thought.
    Could even get him to dress up in a wig or sommat to make it less like a lesson :p
  • Options
    Originally posted by Lickalotapuss
    Why not try mock tests with your instructor?? Not just an examination but act out live exactly what happens in a driving test - drive to the test centre, get out and then come back to the car with your "examiner" check numberplates etc. and then get him to take you on a proper test route with his clip board and mark you down exactly as would happen in a test, giving you no instructions other than where to go. Might work, just a thought.
    Could even get him to dress up in a wig or sommat to make it less like a lesson :p
    Well, that would be a good idea, except that our lessons are mostly like an examination anyway (except the wig). I suppose I don't have a problem then because I know he's not only there to judge me...
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I think that it might be worth changing instructor. If you're comfortable with the one you have then it's time to get some experience driving with other people in the car instead. That would help when it comes to the test.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Mist
    I think that it might be worth changing instructor. If you're comfortable with the one you have then it's time to get some experience driving with other people in the car instead. That would help when it comes to the test.
    There's no problems with the instructor at all. And I have tried driving with other people in the car, which I'm fine with as well, since they're not examiners.