Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.
Options

driving in my car....

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I still can't drive and it's getting ridiculous now, so i need some advice from all you drivers out there -

How long did it take you to learn

how did u learn ie. just lessons, help from friends, parents

do u think intensive courses will work

Basically what do u think is the best way to learn quickly and efficiently

Comments

• Options
    Don't drive with your parents, I found it to be worse. A crash course maybe a good idea.
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,287 Skive's The Limit
    Get a 50/125cc bike, do your CBT and ride on L plates. No better way to learn the roads.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Re: driving in my car....
    Originally posted by dolly dagger
    I still can't drive and it's getting ridiculous now, so i need some advice from all you drivers out there -

seriously dont worry, it took my dad 5 attempts to pass his test, it will come, just with time
  • Options
  • Options
    Re: driving in my car....
    Originally posted by dolly dagger

well, i started in the january and had 1 lesson a week til february, which made 10 lessons! but i didnt find the instructor right for me, so i bought my own car+my grandad took my out in it about once a week from march, until i had my test in August. i think thats mostly why i passed first time - so much practice.
    Get advice from friends on the theory test and from your instructor on your driving techniques. Ask him/her what you do that would fail you in a test - it can only improve your driving!
    Also, when you take a test, understand that you are going to be nervous, but dont sit there thinking about it b4 hand. Nerves make alot of people fail, but dont worry. just try to think about something else; for example: if i passed my driving test, i was going to take me+my b.f somewhere special.
    Not sure about intensive courses tho, good for learning, but not so good for building up confidence!
    SBG
  • Options
    Are you already having lessons? If you are, you just sort of need to have patience. Sometimes it feels like you will never pass, I think everyone gets to one of those points at some time but you have to carry on with it and dont give up.

It took me a year to learn how to drive! Near enough anyway, and I had about...45 1 hour lessons. I was terrified of driving before it though. I did end up passing first time, and now I've been driving two years.

Going out with my Dad in his car helped too, except he wouldnt let me go on the roads for ages we just practiced in car parks. That was good for practicing manouvres (sp?) and stuff though.
  • Options
    i learnt whilst young bit too young, 9 i think, i started with stock cars aouns a friends field then got an old car out of paper and a friend whose parents had a spare bit of land, away i went didn't matter i couldn't drive as the car only cost me £30 on private land so no insurance needed as there was no public thoughoway.
    aaahhhhh them were the days.
  • Options
    I had loads of lessons and 5 tests. arggh.

Not sure what the best way to learn is, but I know that some instructors are a lot better than others.
  • Options
    My friend has gone on an intensive course and at first I was a bit dubious about that, but now I think it might be a good idea. she goes out 2 or 3 times a week and has a 2 hour lesson. If she was going out once a week for an hourly lesson then what she learned the week before she will probably forget some of it......so Im tempted to say intensive course over a few months.

id say dont go out with family or friends because you will pick up their bad habits and even people who say they are brilliant drivers still have some bad habits that could get passed onto you.
  • Options
    do they still do residentail week learn and pass,, i think the aa used to run them, learn all week then have your test at the end of the week then you have all information fresh in your mind no distractions between lessons.
  • Options
    Originally posted by BeckyBoo
    If she was going out once a week for an hourly lesson then what she learned the week before she will probably forget some of it......so Im tempted to say intensive course over a few months.
    I don't agree. I think that if you remember something from week to week, that it becomes more ingrained and instinctive. I think the intensive courses just overload you, and you start to forget things quite quickly afterwards.
  • Options
    In short:

Passed theory 1st time - 34/35 & 42/70

Passed test on 3rd attempt - 4 minors

Took 160+ hours of lessons to finally pass & cost over £1500 in the end.

Had my full license for about 5 months now & haven't driven once on my own yet as i can afford a car but not to insure it:(
  • Options
    Originally posted by Crispy
    Had my full license for about 5 months now & haven't driven once on my own yet as i can afford a car but not to insure it:(
    But at least you have the license, and when you can afford it, you'll be able to just drive straight away. Also, you may be able to borrow a car, and when old enough hire a car/van (very useful when moving house, etc). It's invaluable to have a driving license, but it's only something you'll appreciate as the years go on. It may have been expensive now, but it's out of the way, and it's worth it. When your non-driving friends have all those commitments in a few years, and can't even afford the lessons, and moan about not having a license, you'll see what I mean then.
    Not only does it mean you can get your own car at some time, or borrow/hire, but it also means you can apply for jobs that require a driving license! Again, an it's an invaluable asset, and the time and expense of getting a license will only really become apparent in time. :)
  • Options
    Originally posted by Mr_Wobble
    I don't agree. I think that if you remember something from week to week, that it becomes more ingrained and instinctive. I think the intensive courses just overload you, and you start to forget things quite quickly afterwards.

Surely having 2 lessons a week for 2 hours would make things stick in your head more. If you only have a one hour a week lesson well by the time you have actually got in the car, the tutor explaining stuff then it doesent really leave much time for the driving does it....thats my theory anyhow.
  • Options
    Originally posted by BeckyBoo
    Surely having 2 lessons a week for 2 hours would make things stick in your head more. If you only have a one hour a week lesson well by the time you have actually got in the car, the tutor explaining stuff then it doesent really leave much time for the driving does it....thats my theory anyhow.

When I started learning, I'd have one two-hour lesson a week. It meant there was plenty of time for my instructor to explain things to me, as well as for me to do plenty of driving and just generally getting used to everything. By my fifth week, I'd had a go at all the manoevres and general driving situations that I'd need to, even if they weren't perfect.

After the five weeks, I started having two one-hour lessons a week. I don't need anywhere near as much instruction now, and any I do need I'll get while I'm driving rather than stopping to go through things. An hour is plenty of time to have a general drive and practice manoevres once you've got used to the basics, and because I have two lessons a week I still get the continuity from lesson to the next (as I'm not getting any private practice).

That's what my instructor does with the vast majority of people he teachers; five weeks of two-hour lessons, followed by one or two one-hour lessons a week after that. Most of his students are at test standard by about 30 hours of lessons, so he must be doing something right. :thumb:
  • Options
    My instructor does the intensive courses; One week pass or two week pass. Apparently they're shit unless you knew how to drive before.

I just do a 2 and a half hour lesson a week - plenty of time to practice different things etc.