Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.
Options

How cold?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
im shivering and im in the uae, so how cold is it near you....give details (its something like 25degrees here i guess)

Comments

• Options
    It's probably not much above freezing here.

If you think 25 degrees is cold, move to Newcastle :lol:
  • Options
    Originally posted by Kentish
    It's probably not much above freezing here.

If you think 25 degrees is cold, move to Newcastle :lol:

compared to 50odd yeh it is sorta cold :p
  • Options
    I've just been out and checked the thermometer and it's 3 degrees here.
  • Options
    it was -6 in our garden at 8am yesterday. me and my dad were chipping sheet ice off my car for about 20 minutes.

*goes to buy de-icer*
  • Options
    Re: How cold?
    Originally posted by The Icy Aphrodite
    im shivering and im in the uae, so how cold is it near you....give details (its something like 25degrees here i guess)
    Thats almost as hot as it gets in our summer.
    It was bloody freezing when I took RB-sprite to nursery this morning. Hat and scarf weather for sure.
  • Options
    south coast here and my big window is open... im just the right temperature
  • Options
    I dont know it actually is, but im freezing! Im too cold to take my coat off lol.
  • Options
    Crap weather here today!!! Only 6ºC and cloudy, which is 4ºC below average for December. You would freeze in our summer, July and August are the warmest months and most days are between 24-26ºC, with occasional days in the low 30s.
  • Options
    Originally posted by kaffrin
    it was -6 in our garden at 8am yesterday. me and my dad were chipping sheet ice off my car for about 20 minutes.

*goes to buy de-icer*

It's easier to simply buy a windscreen cover or use cardboard to cover the screen
  • Options
    According to the BBC, the weather for much of North Wales today is cloudy with sunny intervals, temperature of 8ºC and tonight looks set to be freezing.
  • Options
    It's 4 degrees celcius here.
  • Options
    Originally posted by DiamondGeezer
    It's easier to simply buy a windscreen cover or use cardboard to cover the screen

yes it is, but you still need to de-ice the side windows, mirrors and rear windscreen (or wait 25 minutes for the rear heat thing to heat up enough to melt it).

;)
  • Options
    yes it is, but you still need to de-ice the side windows, mirrors and rear windscreen (or wait 25 minutes for the rear heat thing to heat up enough to melt it).

;)

To be honest I know a lot of people that probabaly only get the front windscreen good to go and then drive off, usually realying on the surfaces to defrost as they drive.

Or you could start you car and leave it for a bit to warm everythign up? Not sure how much petrol that uses though, I used to do thata nd use the spare key to lock the doors so no one could just drive off in the car whilst it was on the drive!! .. Garage would be nice.

I hate this winter weather and dark nights, just 3 days I was on a beach and it was 33C .. look what I've come back to!!! Why the heck didn't the British relocate to Australia when they had the chance ... instead of sending the convicts there :(
  • Options
    Originally posted by BritJames
    I'm sat here in jogging bottoms and a tshirt and I'm sweating like mad

Thats bcos you're poorley though :p
  • Options
    Its fucking cold up in scotland,
  • Options
    It's always cold in Scotland. You never see the sun there! :p You prolly don't even know what the sun is....(big orange ball, in the sky)
  • Options
    Originally posted by eefs
    It's always cold in Scotland. You never see the sun there! :p You prolly don't even know what the sun is....(big orange ball, in the sky)

Oh yeah I think I did see it once we had a sunny day last year I think,

Oh no it was the year before,

Its also very windy in edinburgh,

Oh is the sun somehow connected with this "daylight" thing we get, cause I notice a differnce between that and "nighttime"
  • Options
    Originally posted by Iknowyourmum
    Oh yeah I think I did see it once we had a sunny day last year I think,

Oh no it was the year before,

Its also very windy in edinburgh,

Oh is the sun somehow connected with this "daylight" thing we get, cause I notice a differnce between that and "nighttime"

It might be, yes. You can see pictures of the sun on TV channels such as MTV and E4 where everything is set somehwere hot. Maybe you should move there. I'm sure it's not windy there either. You poor unfortunate creatures, living in the land of no-sun-or-day - it's what I like to call Scotland.
  • Options
    Originally posted by DiamondGeezer
    To be honest I know a lot of people that probabaly only get the front windscreen good to go and then drive off, usually realying on the surfaces to defrost as they drive.

yeah, my dad does that, but my first right turn is 10 seconds after i leave my house, and it's way too dangerous without being able to see. rear windscreen isn't really essential, but i need the side windows and the wing mirrors.

Or you could start you car and leave it for a bit to warm everythign up?

that would involve getting up 20 minutes earlier, and i'm way too lazy ;)
  • Options
    , living in the land of no-sun-or-day - it's what I like to call Scotland.

I prefer the land of constant rain and wind and fucking midgies actually.]

Note the midgies arnt thank fuck in edinburgh.
  • Options
    that would involve getting up 20 minutes earlier, and i'm way too lazy ;)

You could get a remote starter for your car, or get the Mr to do it for you!!
  • Options
    Originally posted by Iknowyourmum
    I prefer the land of constant rain and wind and fucking midgies actually.]

Note the midgies arnt thank fuck in edinburgh.

Midgies? Those little fly things that bite the fuck outta ya? Hate them.

I'm not going back to Scotland.
  • Options
    my mum uses the kettle. not boiling water, but she makes herself a cup of tea first and has half of that or so and the hot water in the kettle she then pours over the windscreen and things. Not sure if you're supposed to but it seems to work for her.
  • Options
    Midgies? Those little fly things that bite the fuck outta ya? Hate them.

I'm not going back to Scotland.

Down here we have huge mosquitoes that bite you to death as well. And they seem to be here all year round apart from Jan-Feb.
  • Options
    Originally posted by TheShyBoyInTheCorner
    my mum uses the kettle. not boiling water, but she makes herself a cup of tea first and has half of that or so and the hot water in the kettle she then pours over the windscreen and things. Not sure if you're supposed to but it seems to work for her.

My mum does that :yes: except she puts it in a jug rather than keeping it in the kettle like...
  • Options
    Its pretty damn cold! I'm not sure of the exact temperature but I'd say it was baout 2 degrees celcius. Brrrrr!
  • Options
    :eek:

Could crack the windscreen and probably not good for the paintwork either.
  • Options

if it's cold enough, the water freezes on your windscreen, and it's a bastard to get off.
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,287 Skive's The Limit
    Enough cold water from the tap will defrost the windscreen, but you need to use the soft side of the scraper to drag off the water quick before it freezes again.

Don't use warm or cold water - it could crack the glass.
    Weekender Offender