Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

£2500 fine if you don't buy an ID card

Story.

I don't know about anyone else, but personally I'm filling my pants at this prospect.

Blunkett is the most dangerous man alive. And probably the most corrupt (which is saying something when you consider who the Prime Minister is).

I'm scared.
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Mass, organised disobedience would put an end to that idea.

But, yeah, I was a bit worried about that too. What form of protest is left if we are not allowed to not have one?
  • Options
    Originally posted by Kentish
    What form of protest is left if we are not allowed to not have one?

Exactly.

Blair and Blunkett: Nazism for the 21st Century!
  • Options
    Come now, Blunkett is truly only living up to the standards for repressive authoritarian control, fearmongering, corporate pandering and of course unaccountability (as is the poodle PM himself) set for them by their Bush admin taskmasters.

Hop into bed with criminals and powermongers and don't be surprised when you inevitably begin to resemble them.
  • Options
    i hear that it will be a criminal offence to deface or destroy theese cards? with what punishment? wots inside them? computer chips so they can check where we are? my arse has also fell out over this issue while im not happy about carrying one there could be benifits to this idea not many though. wots worrying is that tony bloody blair want us to come into line with europe however takes all our rights to a private life under artical eight of the european human rights?

this is most worrying!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:eek: :crazyeyes
  • Options
    Originally posted by Clandestine
    Hop into bed with criminals and powermongers and don't be surprised when you inevitably begin to resemble them.

Exactly.

Though Blair and Blunkett have always resembled the Nazi Party, even before Dubya came along.

It's a shame nobody believed the Tories in 1997; New Labour really ARE the New Danger.
  • Options
  • Options
    *Sees vortex opening behind J's house and rather large musclebound humanoid deposited in back garden.

Best hit the road fast, mate, they're onto you!
  • Options
    Out of curiosity, does anyone know if dirty scrounging foreign nationals such as myself will have to get a card, or is it only for British citizens?
  • Options
    Originally posted by Aladdin
    Out of curiosity, does anyone know if dirty scrounging foreign nationals such as myself will have to get a card, or is it only for British citizens?
    I can only assume that johnny foreigners such as yourself will be deported on the same day that ID cards come into force. Seems like Blunkett logic.
  • Options
    Free plane ticket to Spain. Sounds good to me... ;)
  • Options
    so

"Strengthening our identity is one way or reinforcing people's confidence and sense of citizenship and well-being," he told MPs.

"Know your true identity and being able to demonstrate it is a positive plus and is a basic human right which all of us should treasure."

so im just a servant to the state now that means, thats my ID, lovely! i can see so many people loving that

theyre a waste of time and money unless you want a true police state, which i am vigoursly opposed to - im almost considering voting tory or lib dem even if they will screw up everything else cause at least theyll protect civil liberties

im not going to get one, even if i get the fine, and i wont pay it, ill just move abroad and claim political ayslum

the less they listen to moderate views of civil liberties, the more it makes you want to fight for your rights

:mad:

join with me!!!!

seriously considering setting up a anti-blunkett group
  • Options
    Originally posted by Kermit
    It's a shame nobody believed the Tories in 1997; New Labour really ARE the New Danger.
    Well, here's that picture:
    PAdemoneyes.gif
  • Options
    Originally posted by wheresmyplacebo
    seriously considering setting up a anti-blunkett group.
    And here is Mr Blunkett right now, to give us his reaction to this enlivened debate:
    d1980f83188407.jpg
  • Options
    So let me get this straight.

I will have to pay £35 (£85 if I want passport included) for something I don't want. This will mean that I don't have to carry any other form of ID. Apart from my driving licence, my existing passport (because I have another 8 years left on it and I'm fucked if I will buy another one), my bank card, credit cards, work ID badge (with photo)...

If I don't get one then I will have to pay £2,500 and then £1,000 if I don't tell the Govt each time I move even though I will have told my bank, the local council etc.

If I spoil my "application" form I will have £1,000 to pay too. NB When I say "application" form, I have to ask why I would want to apply for something which I am told I must have...

Having done all this, paid the appropriate fines etc, will someone then tell me how this will actually prevent crime and terrorism...
  • Options
    Maybe Blunkett wants ID cards to make it easier to find out where all these children of his he seems to have misplaced are...........
  • Options
    Originally posted by Toadborg
    Maybe Blunkett wants ID cards to make it easier to find out where all these children of his he seems to have misplaced are...
    My question is whether Sadie, shown here, will have to have one.
    _38735691_sadie150.jpg
  • Options
    Originally posted by J
    God, it will be numbers on peoples foreheads next.

Been done before, except it was the inside of their left wrist...
  • Options
    Goodness...does anyone else notice how 'American' this thread sounds? (really, no insult intended)

But, you really do sound like and are useing the same words I hear and read here regarding the same subject on Gunsnet, etc., sites. Because we have the same problem regardless of labe.

:cool:
  • Options
    Originally posted by J
    God, it will be numbers on peoples foreheads next.

Noooooo! Don't be silly. :p

They'll just chip us, like dogs.
  • Options
    Sorry if this is missing the point (or possibly is the point) but why the hell do we need ID cards when we have passports? I've not actually seen Blunkett justify that point satisfactorily.
  • Options
    Hi everyone.

Nobody's yet given me a single good reason why I should fork out £35-85 for this useless bit of plastic. Just vague ideas about being safer. I feel pretty safe as it is. I'm not up to any mischief so I'll thank the police to leave me alone until they have reason to suspect me of something more than 'looking a bit shifty'. If I need ID for anything, I'll use the passport which I voluntarily acquired.

Having said that, I heard a story of a man in New Zealand who was picked up by police (in a stolen car I think). He was carrying no ID at all and refused to give his name. The police held him for about a week, all the while appealing for the public to come forward and identify him - noone did. Eventually they had to release him as they couldn't charge him without knowing who he was. Presumably biometrics would sort this problem out since the police would routinely have an iris scan/fingerprints unless the person wan't a UK national (they want our fingerprints?! Used to be you had to be charged with something didn't it?!).
  • Options
    Originally posted by wheresmyplacebo
    "Strengthening our identity is one way or reinforcing people's confidence and sense of citizenship and well-being," he told MPs.

"Know your true identity and being able to demonstrate it is a positive plus and is a basic human right which all of us should treasure."

But I already know my true identity.

Unless having a bit of plastic with all my intimate biometric details on it will help me understand the world, and provide me with the question to the answer 42.

If it does that I'm all for it.
  • Options
    totally agree with all of the above. this has gotta be stopped - write to your mp and bliar and say so. i think if they got a load of letters near election time, they might sit up and actually listen. maybe...
  • Options
    Originally posted by Shining on
    totally agree with all of the above. this has gotta be stopped - write to your mp and bliar and say so. i think if they got a load of letters near election time, they might sit up and actually listen. maybe...

Heh, if we could get 2 million people to join a march they'd pay attention........

wouldn't they?

:confused:
  • Options
    Originally posted by freethepeeps
    Heh, if we could get 2 million people to join a march they'd pay attention........

wouldn't they?

:confused:

yeah true
  • Options
    More likely theyd just broadcast via the mainstream press and media that you only numbered a hundred thousand and the matter "has been taken under advisement" and the rest of the 59.1 million would shrug and go "ok there somebody doing something about so ill just be about my business" and in a few weeks time itll be old news and the gov will formulate another handy excuse as to their necessity.