Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Ermm.. I don't know where to put it,

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I'd love to pull that much in, what do you do for a living mister Ninj
  • Options
    if u cant transfer colleges think about if you could do an apprenticeship relevant to what ur studying. Thats what im doing when i leave home in september but im leaving because of what homes like not to be near someone and im staying within the county so if i set fire to/break/make it leak or something as im inclined to i can get one of my friends who can fix stuff come help. Also what if u have problems with ur gf? do u have any friends in her area u could talk to? I know u love her but its hard when u know no one other then one person in an area u might feel isolated. I know u would have her friends but does she look for the same qualities in friends?
    My friends moving in with her older bf in january in a shared house and shes still gonna be at school. How the hell shes gonna mannage money i dont know.
  • Options
    Originally posted by NinjaMaster
    £400/month rent!!! :eek:

You wouldn't like our rent then.
  • Options
    well hellfire, why don't you pm someone who knows aylesbury :p?!

it is such an expensive place to live. and it hasn't got a very good job prospect- you'll end up working full time at tescos when you start off there. it has some good temp agencies, but what you really need is good solid work.

Full time at tescos, you'd get about 175 a week before tax- basing that on a 39 hour week at £4.50 an hour.

You can try Shrewsbury house on the Bedgrove estate, that might be a good bet for cheap rent.

Other than that, look for a houseshare- when you#re next down, grab the herald or advertiser off your gfs ma.
  • Options
    Okay. a sensible enough question though I doubt the reasoning behind the idea itself, so lets look at it -

1. If you rent a place for 400/mth, then it will cost you about 600 a month I should guess to cover the house + taxes + bills. That means that if you're earning 800 a month (averagely unlikely if you are unqualified or can only work part time) then you will have 200 pounds to spend on food and other living expenses every month. Is that enough for you?

2. To carry on that, what if you can't make 800 a month? You're not likely to qualify for many or any benefits if you voluntarily leave home at your age. It's difficult enough even if you are kicked out tbh.

3. You will most likely have to repeat whatever you are doing at college. Can you stick that for another 2 years?

4. The idea is fundamentally unsound. I'll leave you to ponder over what I mean by this.
  • Options
    Thanks, for the advice

Btw, the chance of it surviving are whatever me and her make them
  • Options
    Originally posted by NinjaMaster
    £400/month rent!!! :eek:

£400 is cheap rent here!! My rent for a 2 bed shoebox house is a lot more than that. It was the cheapest I could find 2 years ago, and the rent hasn't gone up since.

Hellfire, your best bet is a bedsit /studio flat or a room in shared house. I'm pretty sure rooms in shared houses are exempt from council tax too....either that or I got away with it for 2 yrs :p

You really need to think about this, once you have moved out you will have bills, responsibilties and unless you are amazingly careful you can easily end up in debt

Best of luck though :)
  • Options
    Originally posted by Joolyknockers
    £400 is cheap rent here!! My rent for a 2 bed shoebox house is a lot more than that. It was the cheapest I could find 2 years ago, and the rent hasn't gone up since.

Hellfire, your best bet is a bedsit /studio flat or a room in shared house. I'm pretty sure rooms in shared houses are exempt from council tax too....either that or I got away with it for 2 yrs :p

You really need to think about this, once you have moved out you will have bills, responsibilties and unless you are amazingly careful you can easily end up in debt

Best of luck though :)

Thank you, Thats great, a shared house would be perfect, im going to google it now,
  • Options
    Does anyone know where to look for shared housing, i can only find Shared ownership on google, not coming up with much:(
  • Options
    I would have a look in the newsagents / spar shops windows and the local paper classified ads. I don't think a lot of house shares and bedsits make it as far as the internet as they don't generally go through estate agents.
  • Options
    Thankies :D
  • Options
    dont move in with your girlfriends mum, because even if you get on now. If you split up, then you will be out on your ear - even if her mum likes you, her mum will ultimately be on her daughters side, and it would be v.v.v. awkward.
    I left home when I was 16, and my mum wrote a letter to the benefits agency to say that we had irreconcilable differences and couldnt live together, therefore shed kicked me out (or words to that affect). That enabled me to claim some benefits, even though I was still at college, although it wasnt even full benefits, as I was under 18. It was about £25 a week. luckily I wasnt paying rent, as I was staying with my boyf, and just used to hide under the bed whenever the landlady called round, but most people probably dont want to live like that.
  • Options
    I'm pretty sure rooms in shared houses are exempt from council tax too....either that or I got away with it for 2 yrs :p

no, they're not. i lived in a shared house last year, and Wakey city council are STILL chasing us for £600 council tax despite us telling them over and over (with documents) that we were students, and thus exempt.

you'll probably also find that the combined rent in shared houses is more than the total rent for similar, non-shared houses. agents and landlords do that to be cheeky. rent privately if at all possible.
  • Options
    Originally posted by kaffrin
    no, they're not. i lived in a shared house last year, and Wakey city council are STILL chasing us for £600 council tax despite us telling them over and over (with documents) that we were students, and thus exempt.

I thought they were? I will have to have a look! I claimed full Housing Benefit for my room at £35 per week for a while when I was unemployed, and with Housing Benefit they usually send you a council tax bill for the full years amount, and then send you another bill the next day where the balance is reduced to nil. I wasn't a student either, and for most of the time I was employed full time and therefore technically able to pay it! How strange...could be down the the fact it was a 3 bed flat with 3 separate tenancy agreements for each of the rooms. Maybe I should just leave the country now!!
  • Options
    ...could be down the the fact it was a 3 bed flat with 3 separate tenancy agreements for each of the rooms. Maybe I should just leave the country now!!

possibly, cause all four of us were on the same contract. if it makes a difference?

leeds city council chased me for a few months (despite the same exemption/proof scenario) but again, all the people were on the same agreement.
  • Options
    Just done my homework and I think I came under this exemption:

Council Tax Liability

Council tax can only be charged on what is known as a 'chargeable dwelling'. This is a property, or part of a property, that is:

used only as a private dwelling (or dwellings), and
    not shown in, or exempt from being shown in, a non-domestic valuation list
    Normally the owner is liable for Council Tax on:

A Residential Care Homes, Nursing Homes, Mental Nursing Homes and Hostels

B Dwellings inhabited by religious communities

C house in multiple occupation

D Dwellings occupied by resident staff

E Dwellings inhabited by ministers of religion

So I'm taking it as the council tax was incorporated into the rent. I don't think I'm going to ring up my local council and check though!!
  • Options
    my council tax is £95 a bloody month. :mad: . AND its shoddy service.
  • Options
    See, the past 5posts have totally baffled me..:(
  • Options
    Does council tax policy depend on each council, or is it a national thing?

Where I live, they exempt person by person.
    So if one person in a house is not a student, and the rest are, the bill is sent in that person's name.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Hellfire

Well, then, you're screwed. ;p
  • Options
    replied to the worng thread. blah.
  • Options
    basically theres a lot more to leaving home than just paying your rent. I know you think your girlfriends mum is going to welcome you with loving arms, but chances are shes not really going to, and even if she let you stay temporarily, youd still need to find somewhere else after a while, and that could be anytime sooner than you think.
    There is rent, council tax, electricity, gas, water rates and thats just the basics. You may find you want a Telly, so then you need a licence. Theres food shopping too.
    Going by here it looks like youd be looking at 300-400 a month rent, £90 council tax (maybe more, maybe bit less) £50 gas & electricity, £10 water, £10 Tv licence, £100 food.
    Living is a bloody expensive business. I dont know how anyone does it on their own tbh. Id suggest moving in with a mate a bit closer to home tbh, share the bills. Dont do anything hasty about moving near your girlfriend, as you seem to have a new love of your life every other week at the moment, so at least be sensible and give it a while to be sure. If you and her are meant to be, then it wont hurt to wait.
  • Options
    i live in london and ive been looking at flats and stuff around here recently...I'd be looking at £400 as a shared flat!!

Hellfire how long have you and your girlfriend been together??
  • Options
    Originally posted by NaCN
    Does council tax policy depend on each council, or is it a national thing?

Where I live, they exempt person by person.
    So if one person in a house is not a student, and the rest are, the bill is sent in that person's name.
    Only the students are exempt in that situation. So, yes, the other person would have to pay regardless of whether there are students in the house. Although then they may count as a single occupant and get a discount. Ring the council tax dept at your local authority.
  • Options
    Originally posted by J
    I'm still looking for somewhere, I was thinking of sharing but I'd rather share with a girl (So I don't have to do all the cooking and cleaning!)

Bit sexist, i don't see why it would matter?
  • Options
    Youll probably be disappointed J. I dont actually think gender makes much difference in how tidy someone is.
    real life isnt like a peter and jane book.
  • Options
    See now, thing is, if i leave college which i am i still need to earn a min of 800after tax as i have to pay 600amonth rent on my mothers house..:(

I don't know what to do, yet i am not staying at college.. even if i move local where can i, apparently the shared flats/rooms like the foyer (where u have one room. shared kitchen and that lot have stopped taking people in unless they're special needs, (will look into this more)

Kinda stuck :(
  • Options
    Guys... do you think it would be wise for me to stay in college untill it's all sorted and i have a sure way of supporting myself or i do move in with my gf later in the relationship,

i am kind of worried about the cost of things, even staying at home is 800amonth..
  • Options
    See now, thing is, if i leave college which i am i still need to earn a min of 800after tax as i have to pay 600amonth rent on my mothers house..:(

have you actually sat down and discussed this with her?
  • Options
    Originally posted by kaffrin
    have you actually sat down and discussed this with her?

*nods* yes.. we have.. one her mum wants to wait till she is 16, 2 we both would prefer to wait a little longer.. but we are not 100% fussed, it's just i'd have to wait till april to move in.

I think i am going to have to stay in college till then..