Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Ermm.. I don't know where to put it,

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Basicly I want to up and leave,

Move up to where my Girlfriend lives, maybe my own place or a shared flat,

Maybe stay on as a student.. or work I doubt I could start college over, so late into the year, so might start this autum,

But, where do i start, what do i plan, Financially, what benifits could i claim untill i got a job,

How do I find places in the area that are cheap, even if it's a dump..

I am sorry if this is the wrong forum,

Any help on what i'd have to do would be much appriciated

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Are you looking to rent or buy somewhere?
    Do you have a college place sorted out already or is it just an idea at the minute?

To be honest if you want to move to a new area (how far away would you be moving by the way) and want to go college i think you would have to stay with someone as opposed to buying/renting your own place, but if you was to get a full time job then i'm assuming it would be pretty much like living anywhere else.

How old are you by the way because that can also effect things.
    I doubt you could claim much as you are only 16 arent you? I suggest you find a job BEFORE you move.
    Re: Ermm.. I don't know where to put it,
    Originally posted by Hellfire
    Move up to where my Girlfriend lives, maybe my own place or a shared flat,

i would think very, very carefully about this.

what would happen if (i'm not saying it'll definitely happen, but it could) you got there, and 3 weeks later you broke up?
    Originally posted by Tweety
    I doubt you could claim much as you are only 16 arent you? I suggest you find a job BEFORE you move.

Thanks Tweety,

I think i would have to work, but yet with no qualifications it will be hard,

her mother MIGHT let me live with them when my gf turns 16, and then only pay 200 amonth for everything,

I'm also wondering what kind of job I could possibly get, i don't care if i have the scummiest place ever as i'd hardly stay there, just need somewhere cheap,

im so...... blank when it comes to what to do, I know i am only young but it's something i know i need to go,

Oh i didn't realise he was only 16 my advice then would be don't do it. Really, i could totally balls things up in the long run, what if something happened between you and your girlfriend and you are left in a place you don't really know, and have no friends there?

How long have you been together before you go making an important decsion like this?
    Re: Re: Ermm.. I don't know where to put it,
    Originally posted by kaffrin
    i would think very, very carefully about this.

what would happen if (i'm not saying it'll definitely happen, but it could) you got there, and 3 weeks later you broke up?

We would remian friends.. and i get on very well with her family at the moment,

i mean i call her mum, mum myself,
    It is VERY hard to get a job without qualifications, can't you stick it out whilst you finish college THEN think about moving? At least by then you will know much better if you guys are gonna stay together.
    Re: Re: Re: Ermm.. I don't know where to put it,

It doesn't always work like that you know, who knows what is going to happen 2 months or even a year down the line, circumstances and feelings can change, sometimes really drastically.

Whats the rush to move anyway?
    I moved out of home at 16 and i thought i knew it all ect, i mean for me it was the best option of the two but it is hard & if i had a better home life i would have been better staying there.
    What i am trying to say is you are very young & as you probably think you know what you want, it will change alot over the next few years & if you chuck in college you will regret it.
    Re: Re: Re: Re: Ermm.. I don't know where to put it,
    Originally posted by beans
    It doesn't always work like that you know, who knows what is going to happen 2 months or even a year down the line, circumstances and feelings can change, sometimes really drastically.

Whats the rush to move anyway?

whats the rush... i've been wanting to leave home for about.... a year, just stayed for my GCSE's then.. got ropped into college, i don't even want to go to college..

Tweety, i know it is hard, and since you did it at 16, what did you do if you don't mind asking, go where ect? do what? maybe it'll help me
    I moved out of home at 16 and i thought i knew it all ect, i mean for me it was the best option of the two but it is hard & if i had a better home life i would have been better staying there.

it's one thing leaving home at 16.

it's quite another upping and leaving to a completely different place, leaving all your mates, family and everything you know. i don't know if i could do that now!

it's quite another upping and leaving to a completely different place, leaving all your mates, family and everything you know. i don't know if i could do that now!

but.. i dont have nothing, well not much to keep me here..
    Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Ermm.. I don't know where to put it,
    Tweety, i know it is hard, and since you did it at 16, what did you do if you don't mind asking, go where ect? do what? maybe it'll help me

I moved into my older b/fs place then we got another place & rented together.
    Got into a bit of debt ect. you couldnt do it unless you got a job with alot of money & that wont be hard with only gcses. Been there done that & it was easier for me 9 years ago, things are alot tougher than they were then too. I regret not sticking at college ect.
    It might seem like a good idea now but it wont be in a few years.

Where i moved wasnt far but far enough that i couldnt get to see my friends ect without catching loads of buses. It was horrible to be honest. I lost my friends because of this.
    Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Ermm.. I don't know where to put it,
    I moved into my older b/fs place then we got another place & rented together.
    Got into a bit of debt ect. you couldnt do it unless you got a job with alot of money & that wont be hard with only gcses. Been there done that & it was easier for me 9 years ago, things are alot tougher than they were then too. I regret not sticking at college ect.
    It might seem like a good idea now but it wont be in a few years.

I know your only offering advice and stuff, and if i manage to move in with the gf i will go back to college..

thanks for the advice but it is something i have my mind set on, people say it's a bad idea, some say it's good, but at the end of the day only i know whats best, and i think it's something i need, a change..

Does anyone know where i would have to go to rent a one bed cheap and shit flat?
    Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Ermm.. I don't know where to put it,
    I know your only offering advice and stuff, and if i manage to move in with the gf i will go back to college..

thanks for the advice but it is something i have my mind set on, people say it's a bad idea, some say it's good, but at the end of the day only i know whats best, and i think it's something i need, a change..

Does anyone know where i would have to go to rent a one bed cheap and shit flat?

Yeah i am offering advice on experience. At the end of the day you will do what you wnt but its not to say you know whats best, you think you do.
    Look on www.fish4lettings.co.uk they sometimes have rooms/flats.
    Re: Re: Re: Ermm.. I don't know where to put it,

but would her mum still like you if u finished?
    everyone says that there gonna remain friends but its a very hard thing to do.

would her mum still like you when her daughter is crying to her cos u finished or calling you all the names under the sun? cos thats what 15 yr old girls have a tendency to do when a relationship finishes.

what would you do if you did move up there, you finished and you suddenly found yourself booted out her house? - i know you dont think this would happen but you have to think of every eventuality and the mum will stick by her daughter - blood is thicker than water
    Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Ermm.. I don't know where to put it,

What area are you moving into?
    If you look at local estate agents websites and then search for properties to let it will give you a good idea of what is on the market.
    Although to be honest not many people at 16 can afford to rent by themselves, you might find it quite hard, just be prepared for that.
    thanks tweety :) and thank you all for the advice, im thinking about it,
  • littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Ermm.. I don't know where to put it,
    Yeah i am offering advice on experience. At the end of the day you will do what you wnt but its not to say you know whats best, you think you do.

:yes:
    You ask for advice so people give it to you. If you don't like it then dont ask for it. No skin off our noses *shrug*

I don't think it's a good idea for the same reasons that have been highlighted by various members. But if you are adamant then I would suggest

a) you talk to your college and the colleges there about the possibility of transferring. Some colleges allow this, others dont.

b) speak with your girlfriends mum about how she would feel if you stayed locally etc.

c) look on places like fish4, google etc for possibly flatshares (these will work out cheaper than renting a flat yourself). Get your g/f to keep an eye out in shop windows etc.

d) I would suggest if you cannot transfer you don't go without a job. You need to be able to prove to people that you can pay your rent for starters. And if you don't do it this way you could end up in alot of debt.

Do make sure that you have thought this through fully before doing anything and make sure that it is the right thing to do for ALL parties concerned, not just yourself and/or your girlfriend.
    Although to be honest not many people at 16 can afford to rent by themselves, you might find it quite hard, just be prepared for that.

a lot of places won't rent to under 18s without a parent or guardian as guarantor. also something to bear in mind. is your mum happy for you to go? would she happily sign consent to pick up your tab if you did a runner?
    What area are you moving into?
    If you look at local estate agents websites and then search for properties to let it will give you a good idea of what is on the market.

Aylsebury area:) hopefully
    Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Ermm.. I don't know where to put it,
    a lot of places won't rent to under 18s without a parent or guardian as guarantor.

Yes that is very true, you may also need reffrences and proof of income, which if you don't have a job would be hard or even impossible to get either.
    Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Ermm.. I don't know where to put it,
    Aylsebury area:) hopefully

Ok try this.

http://www.email4property.co.uk/aylesbury/estate-agents.htm
    And just so you know, you would be lucky to find properties cheaper than this

Mmmm commuter town prices. ;)

yes.. i was looking at one similer to that, £400amonth, near my Gf's aswell :)

Need a job with about 800a month salary
    yes.. i was looking at one similer to that, £400amonth, near my Gf's aswell :)

Need a job with about 800a month salary

i earn more that that and there's no way i could afford £400 a month rent. bear in mind you will have other bills to pay: council tax, water, gas and leccy, shopping, general stuff like phone bills, TV licence, travel, random things that go wrong and need fixing.

life is really expensive. i'd be trying to find something more like £200 a month. that's more do-able.
    i earn more that that and there's no way i could afford £400 a month rent. bear in mind you will have other bills to pay: council tax, water, gas and leccy, shopping, general stuff like phone bills, TV licence, travel, random things that go wrong and need fixing.

life is really expensive. i'd be trying to find something more like £200 a month. that's more do-able.

haha.. looks like it's moving in with the gf then..
    £400/month rent!!! :eek:

Christ my mortgage ain't that much.

And I pull in around £2k a month and find things tough sometimes.

Mind you I do have a wife, two kids, a dog and a car to run. ;)