Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Eating disorder

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Ive noticed for the past few months that my appetite for food has gone drastically downhill and Im not eating properly. The other day I went through the day with only having one meal and it wasnt very big. I must say though, I certainly felt the consiquences the next day! But I know Im not doing it on purpose. I find myself getting up at like 11.15am or whatever and then waiting til lunch time to get something small like a sandwich to eat and then try to find other bits to eat like a yogurt or whatever. Its not the case of not being bothered. Its got to a stage where I have cooked meals put in front of me and I cant eat it all, its like a huge task. I have 2 small meals each day. I normally love sunday dinner. I used to miss it when I lived away from home, but today I just couldnt eat it all. Food that Im fine with eating without any problems are pasta (i could eat pasta for england!), certain sandwiches, and pizza. I cant live on those for the rest of my life and I want to get back into eating properly but I dont know how. Does anyone think I have an eating disorder?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    How much stress are you under? I can relate to what you've described over the past fortnight. i've had a bit of stress and just haven't felt like eating.

I'd reccomend seeing a doc tho, espesh if ur that troubled about it. they can refer you onto nutrionists and if you do have a problem, set you tasks to sort it out etc.
    I get like that too.

Well, I'm like that all the time.

Time for the GP :yes:
    blimeh, I've not been eating as much as usual reccently and I'm a bloke :eek2: and yes, I would most definately put it down to stress... :no:
    If youre not doing it on purpose then I wouldnt think its an eating disorder. Id just say youd lost your appetite a bit. Some people get like that when theyre stressed, other people eat more at those times.
    Yeah, and you sound conmcerned about it, which is a good thing - it means you will hopefully stop things spiralling out of control. Talk to your family/friends and see if they've noticed a difference in you. There are other reasons why you lose your appetite - both mental and physical, so it's probably worth going to your GP to discuss, too.
    Here are some links that might help you:
    Eating disorders
    The risks

Eating Disorders Association
    Helpline: 0845 634 1414 (8.30am-8.30pm weekdays). Youth helpline (under 18s): 0845 634 7650 (4pm-6.30pm weekdays).
    www.edauk.com
    info@edauk.com
    :)
    no, it doesn't sound like an eating disorder at all, cause you're not doing it on purpose, you're quite worried, and you'd like to be able to eat normally.

but it's obviously not a good thing. just cause you're not doing it deliberately doesn't mean you won't get all the side effects of not eating enough. huge meals can be really daunting when you're not really hungry, so try eating lots of really tiny meals. a slice of toast here, a little bit of pasta, a few biscuits. it all adds up, and it's a lot easier.

another thing i find helps is eating while you're doing something else - watching TV or on the internet. if you're distracted, you won't be worrying about eating as much, which will probably mean you're able to eat more.
    Thanks guys, you've been really helpful :) I'd like to say its down to stress, but it isnt cos Im not currently stressed about anything! I guess part of the problem is that there isnt a lot of food in the house (bit of a money problem) and if I cant find anything that I like then I wont eat anything.

Plus, Ive had a bad appetite for about 3 months now :/