Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.
Options

PANIC: Moving out

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I'm moving out tomorrow morning and I'm bricking it!

I'm 19 and lived with family up until now. I can only cook a few select basic meals (pasta, bolognaise, pizza, soups, fry ups, pie n chips, etc), I can only do basic washing machine jobs like white cottens, I can barely use an iron and I am afraid of using the phone to ring companies to sort bills and that stuff out.

I'm living with 4 other people and haven't a clue what it's gonna be like.

Can any one relate? What did you think when you moved out?

Any advice on anything? =]

Comments

• Options
    I don't know if you're going to university or not, but here is a thread that has some useful advice for living on your own.

Oh, and good luck! :thumb:
  • Options
    Oh bugger yeah I knew I had to mention that but forgot.

I'm not moving into a campus, a shared accom for uni or anything like that. Just a straight forward house-share.

Thanks for the info but I was looking more for personal experiences from the board :)

Thanks anyway I forgot to check on the main site >_<
  • Options
    get really good at cooking one dish to impress people - and help with washing up
  • Options
    Just remember to wipe the toilet seat :D
  • Options
    Haha! I'll learn how to perfect the family's own recipe of Spag Bol :D
  • Options
    Originally posted by aimz
    Just remember to wipe the toilet seat :D
    Ugh!! I have you know I never miss a hole ;)
  • Options
    Originally posted by Davy
    Ugh!! I have you know I never miss a hole ;)
    haha....

ok well... dont leave skids in the bowl then, there is nothing worse than going in after a skidder :nervous:
  • Options
    Eurgh no what you take me for! :yuck:

Skiddies get brushed away but I never pee on the seat!

I'm hoping to cook for a girl to eat in the conservatory one summer night wit clear sky. The area is always quiet at night n it's central heated :cool:
  • Options
    Its just trial and error, in a few weeks you will be wondering what you were worried about :D
  • Options
    These are thing that really annoy me about my house mates

* if you use other peoples things in the kitchen make sure you wash them straingt away. Theres nothing more annoying than having to wash your things before you uese them when you left them clean.

* dont play loud music / an instrument after a certain tine eg 10pm

* if someone has a bedroom on the ground floor dont jump down the stairs in the middle of the night / early morning

* dont leave yoour clothes in the washer / dryer for hours after you have used it, it means that no one else can use it.

other things that will be usefull will be talking about things like toilet roll and things that other people will no doubt use if you leve around. will you share the cost or each buy individually.
  • Options
    Sharing everything.

Is that the best way? I spose it isn't...
  • Options
    Oh my god a thread I can relate to! Been there and done that. My ex moved away to uni and I moved with him. We stayed in a shared accomodation house. It is scary at first but I guess you get into the swing of things quite quickly. I was 19 when I moved too and I had been living with my parents my whole life (I'm now back at home cos we split up!). Little things are important. I found myself going out and buying cleaning products, loo roll and all the essentials for a house cos nobody else could be bothered. You should all chip in. Also, only pay your share of the phone bill/electricity bill etc. It is a little frustrating having to share a bathroom cos often at night when you're wanting to brush your teeth or whatever there'd be someone else in (for AGES I may add!) making a stink.

Yeah you will be sharing each others stuff. My ex and I lived with 2 other guys who didnt have many plates etc and so they'd always end up using ours and then never washing them. Big tip: wash up after every meal, even if its just a bowl and a cup, cos if you cant be bothered to clean up, then neither will anyone else and the mess will pile up. Trust me! It'd get so bad that there is nothing clean left at all!!

We were very lucky cos we got on with our house mates very well. So juyst hope you're one of the lucky ones :)

Good luck
  • Options
    no, sharing everything isn't best. sharing pots and pans is good, as is butter, milk, bread- things that go off quickly when you've got a whole thing to yourself. and toilet and kitchen rolls etc. but you don't seriously want to be paying for your housemates expensive fish when you're eating cheap sausages?
  • Options
    Well. Let's see. if you can cook anything at all you're better than some of the useless twonks these days who can't even boil a fucking egg. So that's good.

Hopefully you met your housemates and stuff before agreeing to move in, otherwise it could be a bit hit or miss on who you end up with. Can't do much about that now I guess!

Washing don't worry about it just choose the option that washes at 40 and you can bung whatever you like in there so long as it says it's machine washable on the label. Obviously try to keep your dark colours seperate from the lights.

Ringing companies. Well. Hmm. You need to learn this.
  • Options
    I lived in a shared flat for a couple years. I recommend keeping any nice food (cakes, biscuits and munchie type things) stashed in your room, and also keep a spare loo roll for emergencies!

I wouldn't plan having any late night parties unless you have checked with your flatmates first, I'm only saying this as I shared a flat with a 16yr old lad and he was always having his mates round at 3am on some random weeknight! He used to have girls round too, which was fine but they kept nicking my perfume and makeup out of the bathroom. Grr. So yeah, basically anything you don't want to share you need to hide in your room!

I would check about the TV license, not really sure what the rules are now but we had some problems as all the rooms in the flat were under seperate tenancies, so the TV licensing people said we should all have individual licenses.
  • Options
    Yeah I second that bit about cheap sausages and expensive fish!!

Mmm swordfish...

The shopping gets done at one trip by a selected individual on a rota so the 'house' stuff goes on one side of the trolley and paid by the house kitty and the individuals get put through using thier own money.

I got that part sussed ;)

Ooo I can cook more then I thought I could thinking about it now! :)

I'm lucky cus I'm not moving in with people I don't know. They all work togetehr and I quit the place 4 monthes ago so we all know each other quite well!.

Actually...the story goes....

There's me (David), Ben, West, Eve and Kelly.

I had a little summin with Eve :naughty: just before she got with and engaged to West. They have split up now but still moving in. Ben and Kelly were going out but she said he does her head ina dn they've split up now. Eve sez I seduced her aparently :crazyeyes

So don't get surprised if you see a topic started by me about how to untangle all of this in the future soon :lol:
  • Options
    The shopping gets done at one trip by a selected individual on a rota so the 'house' stuff goes on one side of the trolley and paid by the house kitty and the individuals get put through using thier own money.

We do something similar in my house. We each (4 of us) pay a pound towards the kitty (actually a glass bowl of mine) each week, and whoever notices etc gets what we need when we go shopping and takes the money out of the kitty for it. It's usually me who buys stuff, but I'm ok with that since I'm a bit of a control freak so like to buy certain stuff!
  • Options
    Only a pound a week??

We all contribute like £10 a week so that's £50 a week for 5 of us...
  • Options
    Only a pound a week??

We all contribute like £10 a week so that's £50 a week for 5 of us...
    Is that for all food, or just communal stuff like Fairy, loo roll, milk etc?
  • Options
    Shit I didn't think of that...will have to sort it out in the morning. I assumed all together!
  • Options
    Just dropping this post to say I won't be around for a lil bit

.....cuz I'll be getting an Internet cable and ISP set up. Possibly broadband :D

So I won't be available to post my shitty messages like I do these days. Not that anybody would miss me but at least now you know!

*groan* I gotta be in a town 8 miles away by half 8 so here I am up at 7am packing about 100 Tees, 10 jeans and 5 jumpers......23 PS2 games and 54 PSX games.....and numerous other junk, all into the back of my mum's Astra!

So see ya soon, peeps!
  • Options
    Yep, a pound a week, that's just for stuff like washing up liquid, loo roll and other cleaning products. We buy food on our own separately, and bills are worked out separately too. Occasionally if there's a phone call on the bill which no-one is claiming, it'll come out of that too.

Have fun moving in and let us know how it all goes!
  • Options
    if you get broadband, DON'T LET ANYONE USE BITTORRENT! (or any program that uses the bittorent client, like asureus) as it will completely screw your connection over till it's so slow you might as well be on 28k :p

the more often you clean the bathroom, the less disgusting it is to clean! so try take it in turns, and get it cleaned once a week.

put something in the bottom of the oven to catch spills - if it's electric (which it rpobably will be in a student house) and you spill pork fat (like one of my housemates did) in the bottom of it, it'll smoke for weeks.

you could always do another trip home if not everything fits in the car you know ;)

good luck! :D