Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.
Options

Modern day heroes

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Are there any left? There's been loads over the history of (wo)mankind, but these days it seems like there's nobody really to look up to.

I admire the dalai lama though, or however you spell it. But chances are his life will never effect my own.

Comments

• Options
    there are no archetypal one's left, well i can't think of any but there's loads of unsung heroes who never get their limelight.
  • Options
    Mother Teresa
    Lance Armstrong
    Nelson Mandela
    Margeret Thatcher and the flannels or whatever those women activists were called...

I'm sure there's loads but there's been so many in the past and we live such an easy life that we pay no attention to them I spose.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Davy
    Mother Teresa
    Margeret Thatcher

:eek2: one's dead and the other would be better off dead.
  • Options
    although shes dead and it was a long time ago my role model is emily pankhurst and emily davidson. They were sufragettes that fought so i could have the vote. Thats why when i am old enough to vote i was always vote regardless of if i like any of the candidates. Emily davidson died for the vote, she threw herself under the kings horse. They may not be modern but the passion they showed for the cause is something to look up to for all generations.
  • Options
    150_forpresident.jpgIKON2518883e1e4dacfcdf3df55518b98e509c3c64d6a1.gif
  • Options
    Originally posted by morrocan roll
    150_forpresident.jpgIKON2518883e1e4dacfcdf3df55518b98e509c3c64d6a1.gif

Damn straight ;)
  • Options
    there are loads, but most of them don't even make the news.

i bet no one outside the UK has heard of Jane Tomlinson. I wonder how many people outside Yorkshire have.

even the ones that make the news are easily forgotten. the teacher that died protecting her pupils in the Dunblane massacre. The other teacher scarred for life doing the same in the machete attack. and on a less dramatic scale every day.
  • Options
    I'm pretty sure women would have had the vote if the sufragettes hadn't existed.

Don't just vote because of these reasons. Vote because you want to support the right condidate!

But saying that I still kinda admire them for thier sacrifice as they felt so strongly about it.
  • Options
    osama bin laden.
  • Options
    Larry Flint :D
  • Options
    'the incredibles'
  • Options
    But where's the Alexander the great's, the Robin Hood's, the Hercules' and so on...
  • Options
    Originally posted by TheShyBoyInTheCorner
    But where's the Alexander the great's, the Robin Hood's, the Hercules' and so on...
    in iraq.
  • Options
    not publicised because heros doesnt sell a paper. u r so cute with ur attempt to find a hero though! its adorable!

i think that guy who worked in a gay bar, survived one bomb and then got killed by some stupid ignoramus is a hero because he took so much and didnt let it effect him.
  • Options
    Originally posted by ro-ro

and then got killed is a hero because he didnt let it effect him.
    LMAO!
  • Options

Well with the possible exception of Alexander the Great, they were both fictional heroes. Robin Hood, at the most, was some bloke in a forest who had all these legendary tales attributed to him. Hercules didn't even bloody exist!

As it's been said, the only true heroes are the ones you rarely hear much about and usually can't name.
  • Options
    Originally posted by ro-ro
    not publicised because heros doesnt sell a paper. u r so cute with ur attempt to find a hero though! its adorable!

i think that guy who worked in a gay bar, survived one bomb and then got killed by some stupid ignoramus is a hero because he took so much and didnt let it effect him.

I already have my own personal idols :) but, you don't get the magnanimous, brave heroes these days who everyone loves, do you? I mean, I can't say for sure they ever existed - but it seems likely that a fair few did. Every few generations there's one person who everyone who meets them notices they're made for better things, if you get me.

I think I'm the next one. ;)
  • Options
    Originally posted by Tim the Enchanter
    Hercules didn't even bloody exist!

Can you prove a very strong guy who had a good heart didn't exist a few thousand years ago? :p Otherwise, my point stands. There are loads more, they're just the ones that came to mind.
  • Options

Seems to me like a lot of our modern day heroes are television or movie actors. Arnold, Stallone etc. But these guys are not substantial heroes in a real sense. Just actors. The only modern day hero that comes to mind would be Terry Fox but he was alive during the 80's I believe.
  • Options
    THE ONLY TRUE MODERN DAY HERO today i can think of ...looked upon by millions as a great warrior against evil ...an almost christ like worship of him ...is osama bin laden.
  • Options
    THE ONLY TRUE MODERN DAY HERO today i can think of ...looked upon by millions as a great warrior against evil ...an almost christ like worship of him ...is osama bin laden.

The scary thing is you're completely right.
  • Options
    The scary thing is you're completely right.
    i know i am.
    stories of him having the great satan chasing him across the wastelands of afghanistan with all their high tech wizrdry and he ...rides off on a white stalion ...doesn't come more heroic realy does it.
  • Options
    i know i am.
    stories of him having the great satan chasing him across the wastelands of afghanistan with all their high tech wizrdry and he ...rides off on a white stalion ...doesn't come more heroic realy does it.

...and of course organising a brave crusade right into the heartland of the enemy, with no hope of survival or victory, that the people under his name made the greatest sacrifice possible to free his people from oppression.

It almost makes me want to be his best friend...
  • Options
    ...and of course organising a brave crusade right into the heartland of the enemy, with no hope of survival or victory, that the people under his name made the greatest sacrifice possible to free his people from oppression.

It almost makes me want to be his best friend...
    i'd rather have a spliff and a kebab with him than GWB!
  • Options
    I give you..

b111.jpg

.. Jarvis Cocker.