Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.
Options

Most important thing

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
even if you don't give a shit about politics

If you don't know about this, you need to know, and if you don't care about this, you havn't understood what it really means.

Comments

• Options
    I put my considerable weight behind this issue, for those of you who know me and respect my views (all of you) you really should read that thread.
  • Options
    Again with the politics in AG. You know this'll be moved. :) And I'd read...but it doesn't really concern me. But, everyone else should! :p
  • Options
    it'll concern everyone soon enough mate. I really hope it doesn't get moved, because this is anything goes, and it's too important to bury in p&d really.
  • Options
  • Options
    Originally posted by eefs
    Again with the politics in AG. You know this'll be moved. :) And I'd read...but it doesn't really concern me. But, everyone else should! :p

You won't be saying that when Blair annexes Ireland :(
  • Options
    Hope enough people see it before it's moved then. :)

Hope this doesn't happen over here. Seems to be a case of the nanny state gone into overdrive. Can I just ask, the Pm, or whoever, can declare a "State of Emergency" whenever s/he likes? Just for the craic? And then, going by this bill, they can do whatever they want? Fuck.

But really, our politicians are far too dozy to ever think of that on their own. They wear bright yellow suits :yeees:
  • Options
    Originally posted by Renzo
    You won't be saying that when Blair annexes Ireland :(

Mmmmm, seriously, if that ever happened? I'm pretty sure we'd be right back in the 1600s again. He can get to fuck if he thinks he's getting us. :| Ooh, Renzo, you're making me all republican now. :p
  • Options
    Can I just ask, the Pm, or whoever, can declare a "State of Emergency" whenever s/he likes? Just for the craic? And then, going by this bill, they can do whatever they want? Fuck.

Thats basically the jist of it yes. All he has to do is shout and then he can stop elections, jury trials, any civil liberties, bring in marshal law....etc.
  • Options
    Originally posted by bongbudda
    Thats basically the jist of it yes. All he has to do is shout and then he can stop elections, jury trials, any civil liberties, bring in marshal law....etc.

Fuuuuuuuuck. I'm heading to London, sharpish.
  • Options
    Its nice to see that its getting so much coverage too isnt it.

This is a HUGE step in governmental law, everyone on thesite should read about this and tell their friends.
  • Options
    Sorry, forgot you had to subscribe to this. :) Can I post copyrighted text here? Wouldn't think so....
  • Options
  • Options
    A pretty anti-Blair report, but no mention of emergency powers.

This is pretty sly....

Unfortunatly I am not a member of Ireland.com
  • Options
    Sorrrry....Can I post it here?
  • Options
    Just post it and take the risk.

Or not, I'm not suggesting you do anything wrong.
  • Options
    from ireland.com, the Irish Times website. (If I get sued, ye are all coming down with me! :p)

BRITAIN: Mr Tony Blair and his ministers have been accused of cultivating a "climate of fear" after a Queen's Speech putting security and crime at the heart of the British government's pre-election programme. Frank Millar reports from London

Queen Elizabeth yesterday opened what is presumed to be the last parliamentary session before the general election by unveiling a raft of measures covering everything from terrorism to vandalism. The queen told the assembled peers and MPs: "My government recognises that we live in a time of global uncertainty, with an increased threat from international terrorism and organised crime."

And she confirmed the theme of the new session - and almost certainly of Labour's election campaign - would be "security and opportunity for all".

With Chancellor Gordon Brown's pre-budget statement next week set to focus on the "opportunity" aspects of the government's social and economic plans, the emphasis yesterday was on Home Secretary Mr David Blunkett's challenge to the Conservatives on law and order and security issues.

The Home Office is set to dominate the new session with plans for a national identity card, the creation of a British-style FBI, and new measures to combat drugs and anti-social behaviour. The new crime fighting force - the Serious Organised Crime Agency - heralds a crackdown on drug gangs, people traffickers, international paedophiles and major fraud operations. And a new Counter Terrorism Bill is expected to include provisions for some non-jury trials and the admission of phone-tap evidence in British courts.

The renewed drive against drug offences will see people arrested for some crimes subject to compulsory drug testing, while the proposed Clean Neighbourhoods and Environment Bill will give councils more powers to tackle fly tipping, abandoned cars, noise nuisance and light pollution.

Looking ahead to the chancellor's statement next week, the Prime Minister, Mr Blair, told MPs that although security and crime were central to this Queen's Speech, it should be seen alongside the government's on-going investment in the public services and continuing economic stability.

At the same time Mr Blunkett denied the government was "scaremongering" and insisted it had actually played down the terrorist threat by emphasising its repeated message to the public of "alert over alarm". And he said tackling anti-social behaviour was the first step in making people feel more secure in their communities and in the wider world.

However, Conservative leader Mr Michael Howard accused the government of "over-hyping" measures to tackle terrorism and complained of this latest example of what he called Labour's "pre-occupation with talk, spin and newspaper headlines".

The Liberal Democrat leader, Mr Charles Kennedy, said it was dangerous and "insidious" for ministers to mix terrorism and security measures in the public mind with questions of domestic disorder.

Mr Kennedy vowed to oppose the introduction of identity cards and told cheering Lib Dem MPs he believed they could thwart this legislation. ID cards had not prevented the "depraved individuals" responsible for the terrorist attacks in Madrid and New York, he said, insisting they offered no "fundamental stop" or "fail-safe". His parliamentary chairman, Mr Matthew Taylor, joined the attack accusing the government of "focusing on fear". Mr Taylor said: "Crime and terror would be better addressed with 10,000 more police and a national border force, rather than wasting £3 billion on ID cards that didn't protect people in the US or Spain and which would curtail British rights and liberties."

The Conservative Party co-chairman, Dr Liam Fox, added to the charge: "It is clear they are trying to raise the fears from terrorism . . . that is quite despicable, but it is a desperate government."

The mood of scepticism was heightened yesterday as "intelligence" sources apparently offered briefing and counter-briefing about an alleged terrorist plan, said to have been thwarted by the security services, to launch a New York-style bombing attack on London's Canary Wharf.

The director of the human rights group Liberty, Shami Chakrabati, said: "Tough talk and tougher legislation is cheap. It doesn't make us any safer from crime, terrorism and the other great causes of fear. What it will do is undermine the very democracy that this government and its allies across the Atlantic say they want to defend."

Ah, I'm ripping their stories off everywhere. Don't think it's a problem.
  • Options
    Even that story makes no mention of the Bill which goes far beyond any powers suggested by Blunket.
  • Options
    Exactly! Why isn't this recieving more media attention? Proof that the media is as controlled by Blair as his secretary is....:/
  • Options
    Fox hunting was all consuming I think, even though its really quite a non-issue.

The Hansard record is very useful if you really want to know what Parliment are up to.
  • Options
    the police have now been given the power to arrest you and march you off to nick for even the tiniest infraction of the law ...watch wear you throw that fag end ...it is now an arrestable offence where you can be interogated ...sorry interviewed.
    oops ...don't even light the fag!
    a huge machine is being put in place ...has almost finnished being put in place ...which will take aay your freedoms and your choices.
    you are about to be placed under total control.
    but ... few of you will take this seriously until it's too late.
    they won't do that!
    why would they do that?
    this is the 21st century not the dark ages!
    but it's ok to be gay!

for those who aren't frightened by these developments ...why do you think this machine is being built?
  • Options
    Originally posted by morrocan roll
    Few of you will take this seriously until it's too late.
    This cannot be stated enough. I simply don't know what to make of it. There appears to be a total media blackout on this. Even papers that are overtly critical of the Government such as The Daily Telegraph and The Daily Mail have said little about this. What on Earth's going on?
  • Options
    whats going on is you NOW have no rights!
    they have all been removed ...not sometime in the future ...not next week ...yesterday
  • Options
    "First they came for the Communists,
    and I didn’t speak up,
    because I wasn’t a Communist.
    Then they came for the Jews,
    and I didn’t speak up,
    because I wasn’t a Jew.
    Then they came for the Catholics,
    and I didn’t speak up,
    because I was a Protestant.
    Then they came for me,
    and by that time there was no one
    left to speak up for me."
  • Options
    whats going on is you NOW have no rights!
    they have all been removed ...not sometime in the future ...not next week ...yesterday.
    Rights and freedoms removed by cunning and calculating politicians, done quietly in the hope no one would notice.
  • Options
    Originally posted by wheresmyplacebo
    and I didn’t speak up,
    and I didn’t speak up,
    because I wasn’t a Jew.
    and I didn’t speak up,
    Then they came for me,
    i was trying to remember this very quote!

the reality is you now have no rights.
  • Options
    i was trying to remember this very quote!

the reality is you now have no rights.

i googled it just now!

and ive just emailed the editor of the independant, to ask why they haventprinted a story on it even though i read it everyday
  • Options
    and I didn’t speak up,
    and I didn’t speak up,
    because I wasn’t a Jew.
    and I didn’t speak up,
    Then they came for me,

I was thinking of that earlier, as appropriate now as ever.
  • Options
    ive just emailed the editor of the independant, to ask why they haventprinted a story on it even though i read it everyday
    I hate to pour scorn on what you have done, but I suspect that the editor of The Independent will not reply to your email. The media can easily cover its own back when it wants to. The only time the press kicks up a fuss is when THEIR affairs are threatened.
  • Options
    Originally posted by stargalaxy
    I hate to pour scorn on what you have done, but I suspect that the editor of The Independent will not reply to your email. The media can easily cover its own back when it wants to.

yup but gota what i can - my mp wont care, he's a blairite puppet, minister for something or other, stephen timms
  • Options
    i hate to say ...'i told you so'!
    no i'm loving it realy ...over the last two years i have warned about all this stuff happening numerous times but ...just got accused of being a paranoid old stoner!
    there are no elections in amaerica and haven't been since gwb stole the first election ...and there won't be anymore for a generation or so.
    same is happening here.
    will they change the dictionary definition of democracy or leave it there but explain that it was a quaint political idea that lead to the breakdown of society so had to be done away with?