Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.
Options

Noisey bastard

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
PC is really pissing me off with the noise it's making, give it a slap and it will stop for a few seconds, dunno what it is. Any ideas? Sounds like it could be the fan or something but nothing is catching on it,

Comments

• Options
    It could be a loose screw or similar, that makes a noise when it vibrates because of the fan.
  • Options
    ah i get that all the time but i'm lazy and cant be assed to do anything about it so I just put my music on loud so u cant hear it :p
  • Options
    Certainly sounds like the CPU fan. These are easily and cheaply replaced.
  • Options
    could be ball bearings in a fan, main ones really are the power supply fan, cpu fan, or any case fans if you have any.
  • Options
    It's stoped now, it started for about 20 minutes, now it's as quite as a mouse :/.
  • Options
    I get a smiliar thing with my pc but its only after a ive launched the desktop that the noise really kicks in then it never goes away :confused:
  • Options
    Originally posted by Richeh
    I get a smiliar thing with my pc but its only after a ive launched the desktop that the noise really kicks in then it never goes away :confused:

Does your sound like a grunting sounds? Take a look at your hard drive light, maybe your hard disk going into one.
  • Options
    my old pc did this once for weeks and then one day it wouldnt work. Was the fan
  • Options
    Nothing going on with the lights Felix but i tapped the side of my pc, where i know the fan is located and the sound went away, so its deff the fan or thereabouts.

Question : Is it wise to open up the base unit and have a look around for any loose screws or anything ??

I dont know much about the fans in pc's so i dont want to mess anything up i cant afford to have anything break on me atm
  • Options
    Yeah it'll be ok, just make sure everything is unplugged.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Felix Da Housecat
    Yeah it'll be ok, just make sure everything is unplugged.

Cool, cheers.... will give it a try either tonight or 2moro and see whats up with it.
  • Options
    Jesus guys don't shock the computer! Apart from more screws becoming loose, you could complete smasht he hardd rive to pieces. Imagine the way an old LP would play with the pin. Now imagine pushign the pin as hard as you could for the entire LP album.

That's what your hard drive will look like!
  • Options
    Whenever I've had that, it's been the CPU fan bearings wearing out. Quick, cheap, and easy to replace.
    Take the side off your PC, and listen around for the sound. If it's making a noise, tap the CPU fan and see if that stops it, if it does, then replace the fan.
  • Options
    I opened up my base unit to have a look around. I didnt physically touch everything but i prodded a few things to see if their was anything loose and nothing moved so i assume that there isnt anything loose in their, though not 100% sure. I cleaned away some dust from the base of it but didnt do anything else.

So im confused as to why my pc is making these sounds, and note theat they come and go... can i assume it is the fan that is at fault ?
  • Options
    There are only 2 things in a computer that moves - disk drives and fans.

If it's a whirring sound, it's a fan. If it's a grinding noise - it's a disk drive.

I'm betting it's a fan at fault. The ones that usually go are the CPU fan as Mr.Wobble rightly suggested.

Take the case off. It's about 3 screws and easily slides along and comes off. It may be a bit jammy depending on where you got the case and it's age. Don't worry about breaking anything as these things are engineered for alot of handling (components that is. Don't touch any circuitboards!)

Now the cover is off, turn the PC on. Place your finger on the CPU fan and if the sound stop then your cpu fan is nackered. Baring in mind fans are gonna make noise anyway. If it's a loud noise that shouldn't be there (I can't explain this) then just change it for...

ONE OF THESE!! :D
    d4e80714dee29fb9e5b3fb8fe39e0b2e.jpg
    Cooler Master Ultra Vortex
  • Options
    Hard to explain this but here goes :

I have seen the 2 fans, one is small and black about the average size of a yoghurt tub and about maybe 3 inches in depth ( i think ! ) The other fan is bigger and tucked away in the back corner its in a metal looking box with metal looking fan baldes if i remember correct. When i opened up the pc i couldnt hear this sound it makes when its all sealed up. Now my dad thinks teh noise is coming from the bottom at teh side where the big metal looking fan is but im not sure. I reckon that is is the fan that is broken, cant explain why i think that but i do.

yes.. all confusing :confused:
  • Options
    Case fans are usually generic ugly things usually black and plastic. Standard generic things.
    PAPST8412ngl.jpg

The CPU fan however is usually mounted on a 'heatsink' which usually looks like this
    f061a1ec-11d6-11d7-a10b-00805fbbb715.gif

And the cpu fan usually looks alot different from the case fans, is bigger and make more noise. In this case the fan is making more noise then it should.

Get hold of a tech savvy mate to change it for you :)
  • Options
    Yeah im gunna need to coz im clueless with all this.

I reckon the fault is with the fan in the 2nd picture.

and spot on with the fans lol. See how clueless i am :lol
  • Options
    What processor you got?

Also, how much space around the CPU ahve you got?

I can recommend you a good quiet cheap one.

How much you willing to spend> They go between £10 and £50
  • Options
    Originally posted by Davy
    What processor you got?

Also, how much space around the CPU ahve you got?

I can recommend you a good quiet cheap one.

How much you willing to spend> They go between £10 and £50

Amd athlon xp 1700+

I could go as far as £50 if i really had to but less would be better.

Its weird, if i hit / tap the side of the pc where that fan is the sound goes away and the pc goes back to being all silent-ish, then after a few minutes it comes back
  • Options
    Yeah it's cus the fan is p[robably loose/nackered.

Even if it's all modern and extra expensive don't mean things don't move inside! :p

Has your PC got a side-window? Fans that are cosmetically pleasing can be a bit more (not alot) then standard looking ones that do the same job.
  • Options
    Yeah it's cus the fan is p[robably loose/nackered.

Even if it's all modern and extra expensive don't mean things don't move inside! :p

Has your PC got a side-window? Fans that are cosmetically pleasing can be a bit more (not alot) then standard looking ones that do the same job.

No it doesnt have a side window ?

The side panel comes off and you can then see inside the pc.... Im absolutly miffed as to what the exact cause of all of this though
  • Options
    It's just nackered probably a mix between dust and over use ;)

http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/products/index.html?rb=3290765698&action=c2hvd19wcm9kdWN0X3Jldmlld3M=&product_uid=58512
    £7.31 :) but make sure your case allows that amount of space. Like said before -- get a comp savvy mate to do it.
  • Options
    Thanks Davy :D

Now just need someone who knows what they are doing lol
  • Options
    As we're talking about noisy computers, I wonder if anybody knows the answer to this one...
    My computer is making a clicking noise. It's silent to begin with, then as the PC warms up it starts to click, building up to about a dozen clicks a second. It's driving me nuts at times.
    It's coming from the power supply, but it isn't the fan (I tried putting a replacement fan into it), and tried another power supply which stops doesn't click, but that's a cheapo power supply that causes the computer to crash.
    Curiously it sometimes stops clicking, or the clicking noise reduces drasticly, when I'm doing some graphical stuff. Using the middle mouse button to scroll through a Word document, or sometimes a website. Or sometimes when running some programmes, such as a game of Tetris.
    So what could cause the clicking noise in the power supply? It's bugging me to death, and I dont' want to have to splash out another £50-£100+ on another decent quiet power supply. By the way, I have a 400 Watt quiet Zalmann PSU.
  • Options
    If it sounds as if it's coming from the PSU then it remains when you exchange the psu for another then it maybe just isn't coming from the psu then!

What's around the PSU?

Make sure all fans in the entire case hasn't got anything touching the blades.
  • Options
    If it sounds as if it's coming from the PSU then it remains when you exchange the psu for another then it maybe just isn't coming from the psu then!

What's around the PSU?

Make sure all fans in the entire case hasn't got anything touching the blades.
    Re-read. It is the power supply, and does not happen with the cheapo one, and there is nothing that the fan is caught on.
  • Options
    Oh yeah of course sorry dude! :p

I have no idea. Electrical fault. Contact Zalman they might send a replacement if you got a valid warranty.
  • Options
    Oh yeah of course sorry dude! :p

I have no idea. Electrical fault. Contact Zalman they might send a replacement if you got a valid warranty.
    It's over 18 months old now, so outside the 12 month warranty. The company that sold it to me has only emailed back a standard "there are no user servicable parts inside" sort of answer, and Zalman haven't got back to me at all. :crying:
    It's bound to be some simple electronic component, and it's just a case of knowing which it is, and replacing it.
    I think I'm just going to have to save up for another quiet power supply, but probably won't be a Zalman.
  • Options
    PSUs tend to be the most disposable part of a computer frustratingly enough because they do the most hard work with cooling, supplying constant differing power supplies.

A good manufacturer for quiet and reliable PSUs is this for example:
    (read the reviews)
    Antec 400 Watt Power Supply ATX Smartpower Dual Fan