Home Drink & Drugs
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Tramadol and codeine

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Is it alright to take both of these simultaneously?? codeine and tramadol. I can't find the info on the net.

I'm a little concerned about respiratory depression.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Re: Tramadol and codeine
    Originally posted by Miffy
    Is it alright to take both of these simultaneously?? codeine and tramadol. I can't find the info on the net.

I'm a little concerned about respiratory depression.
    when my back goes i take higher doses than that!
    i have no tolerance as i very rarely take them.
    wether it's ok ...i know not realy.
    but what i can tell you is ...i seriously hate the spaced out sicky feeling and the sleep problems they give me.
    we've been here before ...tell me ...where is the damage and what kind of damage is it again?
    Yes, we've been here before... It's a spinal fracture. It's just the codeine is a new addition.

Thanks for the reassurance, it's just you read the blurb that comes in the box and when it says not to take it if you're taking two of the other tablets you're on you start to wonder. But I imagine they probably have to cover all the bases.

Doesn't help that I have no faith in our GP whatsoever though. :(
    Originally posted by Miffy
    Yes, we've been here before... It's a spinal fracture. It's just the codeine is a new addition.

Thanks for the reassurance, it's just you read the blurb that comes in the box and when it says not to take it if you're taking two of the other tablets you're on you start to wonder. But I imagine they probably have to cover all the bases.

Doesn't help that I have no faith in our GP whatsoever though. :(
    i'm sure in the past i must have recomended a smoke ...
    You did, and MST.

We've got bugger all chance of getting MST, and as for a smoke... he has his own reasons for not wanting to do that I suppose.
    when i was using codeine i found this site very helpful.

It'll give you rough dosage info and has information on interactions with other substances. I cant actually access it at this precise moment, but i'll try and do some research into interactions with Tramadol tomorrow and post what i find. That is if you dont get to it first.:)
    Thanks MB. That was helpful. Some of the other things he's on decrease the effects and some increase them so it's swings and roundabouts.

I'm now convinced that in the info leaflets they're just covering their backsides and I just got a little bit over concerned! Ah well, I can't help it sometimes, you know?
    Taramadol is sort of an opiate, ish, yet it also sort of works like a NSAI.

If you are taking such high doses of it be sure to look after your stomach, its not known for being all that kind. Take the drug with a little food or milk.
    You can mix Taramadol with paracetamol and codine but you shouldnt take it with ibroprofen.
    im disabled with chronic back troubles i take codine daily, tramadol daily, paracetomol daily and have been for just over seven years now and im still rattling around just make sure u stick to dossages and you should be fine.
    with the codine phosphate and parecetomol you are in fact converting the meds into co-codomol or co-proxamol not quite sure which it is.. hope this helps? back pain has got to be one of the worst pains around.
    I'm surprised they have put you on codine for that long, I'd suspect that its not really doing a great deal in terms of pain killing now. Your tolerance probably has gone up and over the dose you are taking.
    Originally posted by 01j01
    im disabled with chronic back troubles i take codine, tramadol daily, paracetomol daily and have been for just over seven years now and im still rattling around just make sure u stick to dossages and you should be fine.
    with the codine phosphate and parecetomol you are in fact converting the meds into co-codomol or co-proxamol not quite sure which it is.. hope this helps? back pain has got to be one of the worst pains around.
    Have you tried TENS?
    miffy ...has he tried acupucture ...herbalists ...has he seen a physio about correct posture and exercise?
    has he got a body belt?
    Originally posted by Kentish
    Have you tried TENS?
    'ello mate ...don't see you in here often.
    tens does work for some people. personaly i found it so friggin irritating!
    Originally posted by morrocan roll
    'ello mate ...don't see you in here often.
    tens does work for some people. personaly i found it so friggin irritating!
    I wander in occasionally...

Only mentioned it cos a friend of mine had terrible back pain and swears by TENS. There's a good evidence base for it for labour pains too. (More evidence than for acupuncture ;)). Posture's a good point - and I can't sing the praises of Chiropractors/Osteopaths highly enough.
    TENS?
    Originally posted by bongbudda
    TENS?
    Transcutaneous electrical nerve stimulation.

So electro shock treatments then?
    Originally posted by bongbudda
    So electro shock treatments then?
    Sort of, but not really 'shock' as such. Just a distraction for the nerves from the pain stimulus.
    Originally posted by morrocan roll
    miffy ...has he tried acupucture ...herbalists ...has he seen a physio about correct posture and exercise?
    has he got a body belt?
    tryed these only one that was of any benifit was accupunture tens has been mentioned but thats as far as it got. its mainly muscular problems they swell bigger than they should
This discussion has been closed.