Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.
Options

Argh!

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I have a History essay to write and I haven't got a cluuuuuuuuuue how to start it :(

Someone help me out? This is the first essay I've been given since I dropped Art for History, and it's realleh hard (she even said it). ARGH!

How would you start this essay:

“Lenin succeeded in convincing the Russian people that the path to happiness lay through lawlessness, arbitrary rule, and violence.” To what extent does Lenin’s position in, and rule of, the USSR between 1918 and his death in 1924 support this statement?

ETA: I've been sat here for like...15 minutes, and still....NOTHING.

Franki-Chicken
x

Comments

• Options
    My God. I really don't envy you.

Sorry for being no help whatsoever ;)
  • Options
    Compare the russian state in 1918, and then 1924, then AFTER that write an introduction, that's what I always found difficult.
  • Options
    what i got taught in history/modern studies was to include the question in the awnser

i.e 'between 1918 and 1924 lenin convinced the russian people blah blah blah'

and lead on from there

i loved history :heart:
  • Options
    Fiend: I know that's how I should do it...but I've never been able to write anything until I've got my intro. sorted.

I suck :( I'm usually good at essays too :(
  • Options
    Originally posted by *x*franki chicken*x*
    Fiend: I know that's how I should do it...but I've never been able to write anything until I've got my intro. sorted.

I suck :( I'm usually good at essays too :(

No idea's at all? I totally have the same problem, if you're word processing I'd start writing if I were you and fiddle it later.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Fiend_85
    No idea's at all? I totally have the same problem, if you're word processing I'd start writing if I were you and fiddle it later.

Nowt much. I have so far:

Lenin was leader of the USSR between 1918 and his death in 1924, during this time he made many changes in how the country was run.
  • Options
    Nowt much. I have so far:

Lenin was leader of the USSR between 1918 and his death in 1924, during this time he made many changes in how the country was run.

Ok, so what were those changes?
  • Options
    Ok, so what were those changes?

Erm...the NEP, Ban on Factions...war communism...

They had to give me the hard one when I've only just started :mad:
  • Options
    Erm...the NEP, Ban on Factions...war communism...

They had to give me the hard one when I've only just started :mad:

What's the NEP? What are Factions? and war communism? Start with that, and whatever else you can think of, and draw it toward a conclusion at the end.
  • Options
    What's the NEP? What are Factions? and war communism? Start with that, and whatever else you can think of, and draw it toward a conclusion at the end.

NEP - National Economic Policy (can't remember what it was, shall look it up)

Ban on Factions: he stopped any opposing parties, and broke up any groups that were against him like.

War communism: where the peasants had to give any grain that wasn't necessary for them to live on to the soldiers, and if they didn't, it'd be forced off them...nice people the Bolsheviks :eek2:

I'm almost beginning to wish I hadn't dropped Art...
  • Options
    and you're not writing the essay yet? quit stalling girly.
  • Options
    I am! I'm just...mih :( I can't do this...I don't know enough :mad:

I'm reading :yes:
  • Options
    front_girl2.gif
  • Options
    I've tried...really I have...I can't FUCKING do this...I just want to scream and bash the screen in :mad: I've written TWO FUCKING SENTENCES since 8...and I cannot think what the hell to write next. I know what it is I'm meant to be writing about, just not how to write it down.

I SUCK :(
  • Options
    i've noticed you're still browsing.

first mistake. turn off your internet if you need to. but don't look at it until you've finished. distraction = bad.

i'm assuming you know what you need to write about in this essay. if you don't, first stop is to read until you do.

next, open word. essays in one easy step:

1. tell them what you're about to say (echo words from the actual question if not the whole question itself).
    2. say it.
    3. justify it.
    4. tell them what you just said, and what that means in relation to the question.

most important thing to ask yourself at all times: 'am i answering the question?'. if you're not, it doesn't matter how amazing your writing, structure and argument is, you won't get a good mark.

right, next step. start writing. doesn't matter if it's absolute bab, you can go back and change it. go go go. the hardest part is getting started, so go write til it makes sense. then go back and change the bits that don't.

:cool:
  • Options
    use examples of how lenin ruled by lawlessness and violence...

what actions of his reflect whether or not he convinceed the russian people to act as he did?

think about the russian revolution and the atmosphere in russia at the time
  • Options
    I know all of this...kaff, I did what you said, but I was just sitting there looking at it for another hour. I still have no clue how to get it down.

I'm gonna talk to my teacher about it tomorrow and do it tomorrow night. She's nice, so she should understand...
  • Options
    I know all of this...kaff, I did what you said, but I was just sitting there looking at it for another hour. I still have no clue how to get it down.

doesn't matter. just write. write anything. if REALLy can't think of anything, write about how you can't think of anything. write about how your day went. seriously. anything.

writing gives you ideas. even if you're writing shite.

i did a writing degree with writer's block half the time, and the only thing that made me work was when my housemate shut off my internet connection and hid my tv remote, and wouldn't give either back until i had written an agreed number of words. usually 2500.