Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Pbl

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
"Problem based learning" I get the general idea about what it is but can someone please explain what it means if a uni course is PBL, what the good and the bad things are etc.

Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    My understanding and experience of PBL is that you are given a problem and in a seminar group type format you have to solve the problem. So you decide what you need to know and how you will find out the information you need, and formulate the answer between you.

The idea is that lectures are pointless and no-one retains what they are taught in lectures so PBL is an alternative.

PBL is teaching on the cheap. It can work or it can fail spectacularly. It depends how you work best.

What course are you doing?
    I'm not doing any course at the moment, but my girlfriend's brother is on a PBL course for medicine; just wondering what it involved etc.
    It's where you use real life case examples / real life problems rather than just theory in order to learn or as part of your course ... so in Medicine, it's interviewing and examining patients as a way of learning rather than using textbooks, theories and models.
    Originally posted by otter
    It's where you use real life case examples / real life problems rather than just theory in order to learn or as part of your course ... so in Medicine, it's interviewing and examining patients as a way of learning rather than using textbooks, theories and models.
    Not really. That would be called an 'integrated' course, which most medicine courses are nowadays. With the exception of Oxbridge and St Andrews.

PBL is more using the cases as a basis for the learning but still using 'textbooks, theories and models', just fewer lectures and didactic teaching, and more peer-led teaching.
    Originally posted by Kentish
    Not really. That would be called an 'integrated' course, which most medicine courses are nowadays. With the exception of Oxbridge and St Andrews.
    PBL is more using the cases as a basis for the learning but still using 'textbooks, theories and models', just fewer lectures and didactic teaching, and more peer-led teaching.

:chin: I was wondering about it as I was writing it. I do think PBL is mainly about the "real examples" in learning. But, you are right Kentish, cheers! - It is a difficult question to explain!
  • littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    Originally posted by Kentish

:yes: I had to do alot of this in my course last year. We were given a case study and then had to solve it but we had to find out why we would solve it the way we suggested. It was used in our uni to try and cut the number of lectures and make it more workshop based.