Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.
Options

Dumb F*ck Yank

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Mrs Ninja was watching Paul O' Grady show last night when I came in from work last night and Donny Osmond was on and came away with one of the most ignorant things I think I have ever heard.

He was talking about something he did a couple of weeks back.

"We have a thing in America called Hallo'een. It's like your Guy Fawkes night."

:eek2: :lol:

Numb-nuts

Comments

• Options
    Dr PirateDr Pirate Posts: 8,303 Legendary Poster
    That is so typically american. ¬_¬
  • Options
    You get English people who do that all the time though :p. He's just trying to make himself sound clever, and to a small extent he's almost right. Halloween in America is a lot larger than ours over here where a few people go trick or treating, over there they all have parties like it's new years eve... so you can't blame him for not realising we take part too.
  • Options
    Originally posted by TheShyBoyInTheCorner
    You get English people who do that all the time though :p. He's just trying to make himself sound clever, and to a small extent he's almost right. Halloween in America is a lot larger than ours over here where a few people go trick or treating, over there they all have parties like it's new years eve... so you can't blame him for not realising we take part too.

Yes, but its the fact that he got it COMPLETELY wrong though.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Dr Pirate
    That is so typically american. ¬_¬

>(

HEY!
  • Options
    Originally posted by Reese_86
    >(

HEY!

But it's true though ;)
  • Options
    All Americans are dumb.

It's not me being nasty, it's just one of the unalterable rules of nature. Like that if you are late the bus will be early.
  • Options
    Re: Dumb F*ck Yank
    Originally posted by NinjaMaster
    Mrs Ninja was watching Paul O' Grady show last night when I came in from work last night and Donny Osmond was on and came away with one of the most ignorant things I think I have ever heard.

He was talking about something he did a couple of weeks back.

"We have a thing in America called Hallo'een. It's like your Guy Fawkes night."

:eek2: :lol:

Numb-nuts

i saw that and took it as very subtle and dry humour

heres a question though
    whats worse, a stupid mistake like donny osmond might have made, or just not getting the humour behind a joke and kicking up a right fuss about it
  • Options
    whats worse, a stupid mistake like donny osmond might have made, or just not getting the humour behind a joke and kicking up a right fuss about it

:yes:

this being a classically english failing (particularly of the educateds sometimes); assuming idoicy in all others, and impeccable faith in our ability to detect it :thumb:
  • Options
    Originally posted by Martin_Bashir
    :yes:

this being a classically english failing (particularly of the educateds sometimes); assuming idoicy in all others, and impeccable faith in our ability to detect it :thumb:

you do realise you dont have to be english or american to be a dumb fuck, dont you?
  • Options
    Re: Re: Dumb F*ck Yank
    Originally posted by MrG
    i saw that and took it as very subtle and dry humour

Donny Osmond wouldn't know subtle and dry humour if it anally raped him.
  • Options
    Re: Re: Re: Dumb F*ck Yank
    Originally posted by Kermit
    Donny Osmond wouldn't know subtle and dry humour if it anally raped him.

well it didnt rape him, i mean who wouldnt consent to something like that when you have hair like donny osmond
  • Options
    I like donny osmond.
  • Options
    okay.. but you guys are saying that we're dumb just because we're ignorant of your customs and traditions??

couldn't we say the same of you?
    couldn't we say that you're stupid just because you don't know american traditions and customs.. and you assume everything here is just like you see it on TV or int he movies...
  • Options
    Originally posted by Reese_86
    okay.. but you guys are saying that we're dumb just because we're ignorant of your customs and traditions??

couldn't we say the same of you?
    couldn't we say that you're stupid just because you don't know american traditions and customs.. and you assume everything here is just like you see it on TV or int he movies...

Not to generalise, but a large amount of English people (not sure about the rest of britain) are prejudiced against 'Americanism' or the American idea. They get on with actual Americans fine, and wouldn't even be bothered by them. But when talking about the world, it's always America that gets the blame - which is probably because America being such a large country when it throws it's weight around other countries all over the world feel the repurcussions.

Insulting Americans shouldn't be seen as such, but more insulting America. We love a good excuse to bash 'stupid Americans' where in all honesty they're exactly the same as us in most respects.
  • Options
    Originally posted by TheShyBoyInTheCorner
    Insulting Americans shouldn't be seen as such, but more insulting America. We love a good excuse to bash 'stupid Americans' where in all honesty they're exactly the same as us in most respects.

except we walk places, pronounce and spell things properly* and most of us own a passport ;)

there are stupid people everywhere. they have jessica simpson, we have jade goody. it's just that america is a lot bigger, so they have a lot more stupid people. and they make all their idiots famous. and president.

*well, those of us that can actually spell.... :yeees:
  • Options
    Reese, it not the not knowing, it's the fact that he thought he knew and couldn't be arsed to check his facts.

Mind, I'd expect nothing better of that nonce.
    Originally posted by kaffrin
    and they make all their idiots famous. and president.

That's the point: over here Jade Goody and Katie Price are figures of fun, mocked for their imbecility. People in the US actually LISTEN to what dunces like Britney Spears say :eek2:

The US is not a stupid country, they did put a man on the moon, etc. But it is a country that seems to be ruled by the stupid, in every sense.