Home Drink & Drugs
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Ketamine tolerance?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
'@Let's try that again': Had a look, couldn't see much but can you build up a tolerance to ketamine? Severity/

Comments

• Options
    Nice typing mate.

Yes, you can and do build a tolerance to ketamine quite quickly. You will need more and more to gain the same effect.

It will be noticable if you use heavily once a week or so, or moderately more often.

Doses of upwards of a gram of pure nasaly are not all that uncomman.
  • Options
    indeed. get to the stage where some of my fuckhead mates used to be doing stupid things like half gram lines, one up each nostril, one after another.

that or just doing one gram lines :crazyeyes
  • Options
    Totally, ket is a really pretty serious drug, but people think because its a trippy one then its alright and wont do them any harm.
  • Options
    JadedJaded Posts: 2,682 Boards Guru
    Indeed, according to Erowid -
    Ketamine is also known for being more psychologically addictive / compelling than most psychedelics and it is not uncommon to hear of users who take it once or more daily.
    and
    Addiction Potential
    Ketamine has the potential to be both physically and psychologically addicting. Individuals who use it regularly may find it difficult to stop.
    In answer to your question, z0ma, I'm having trouble finding anything substantial about tolerance to Ketamine, but there are a few sentences on Erowid that indicate that tolerance builds relatively slowly, but once it starts there is a rapid curve.
  • Options
    I think tolerance builds slowly if you are only a light user. If you K-Hole then tolerance is far more of an issue.

I think you can use small amounts quite often without experiencing any increase in tolerance, but once you start doing quite a bit in one go then tolerance is an issue.

There is also some debate as to what exactly ketamine is in terms of dissasociative/anesthetic/hallucinogen terms.
  • Options
    Well it is classified as a disassociative anasthetic, and there is loads of technical information about how it acts and why it is hallucinogenic if you care to trawl through Erowid....
  • Options
    Exactly, its not a hallucinogen but it has hallucinogenic effects.
  • Options
    Originally posted by bongbudda
    Nice typing mate.

Yeah, was a little bit worse for wear last night. Came back to see if anyone had posted and it was barely readable. :blush:

Cheers for the info, knew it was addictive and everything just wasn't sure on the tolerance, so appreciated. Don't intend on getting that deep that I'm doing gram lines though!
  • Options
    Three things,

1 - have you done it before?

2 - how are you getting it? Liquid or powder?

3 - how much is it? The price has gone up of late
  • Options
    I pulled this off Erowid , it is the most detailed information I have found about how it works, but please note it is from an unverified source -
    Does anyone know if there is abuse potencial for Special K ?

Yes. There is.

>Any long/short term toxicity ?

Short term -- yes, it has acute toxicity; like most NMDA/sigma agents, it can suppress respiration in sufficient quantities. I don't know the LD50.
    Long term -- don't know. Possible rebound excitotoxicity on NMDA receptors if you use it too often -- would would lead to general functional loss, possibly concentrated in areas of memory.

>How does it work in the brain ?

It acts upon several neuroreceptors:

1) The NMDA receptor (an excitatory amino acid receptor), where it blocks neurotransmission by lodging in the open configuration, preventing ion influx/outflux.
    2) The sigma receptor, where it acts as an agonist
    3) The PCP2 receptor, where it acts (with micromolar, i.e., not much, potency) to block a reuptake channel.

>If this is the case, then it may explain why people may contact >alien inteligences while on K, maybe becase it facilitates that
    >sort of extreme mental projection of seeing things from an >alien's point of view.

Perhaps. Of course, keep in mind that the sigma receptor is thought to be involved in schizophrenia (accounting, unlike the dopamine receptor, for both the positive and negative symptoms), and sigma activity has been associated with drug-induced psychosis.

What I really wanted to post was some advice, from Erowid again, on handling Habituation & Addiction - their idea about setting a benchmark for 'normal' useage to measure actual usage against is a good one if you must try it.

The last paragraph on that page is also well worth reading. Be careful.
  • Options
    Hmmm, I wouldnt totally trust their view that it is acutely toxic.

Everything I've read has suggest though its not great on your nose its relatively simple on the body. Yes its not stunning on the kidneys when used often and in high doses but to call it acutely toxic I think is over playing the issue.

Also, it does depress the resperation in high doses, but really you would have to try VERY very hard to be able to do that via the nose.

The most likely danger is you snorting enough to knock yourself out, then being sick and perhaps choking.
  • Options
    Three things,

1 - have you done it before?

2 - how are you getting it? Liquid or powder?

3 - how much is it? The price has gone up of late

Yeah, done it a few times - about 6 or 7 in total now. Powder, £25 on the gram; have no idea if that's expensive or not, the stuff is so rare around here even if it's extortionate I'd still pay it.

Does seem to be of a good quality though, I had some ket a few months back and it was a good few lines before I was feeling really out of it, with this a usual small line does me nicely.

Just out of interest, for those who take/have taken ketamine at raves - is it advisable? Obviously not enough to put you in a K-hole, just enough to get that trippy, weird feeling. Thinking about saving some for NYE.. :chin:
  • Options
    I've heard conflicting reports about the stability and shelf life of ket.

Virtually every liquid user will tell you that freshly cooked is better. But on what basis they are saying this I really dont know.

As for at a rave, I know people who do it and I've done it myself by accident with a ket pill once. I cant say I enjoyed it, you're a little too out of it, a little too de-personalised.

£25 on the gram, is somewhat pricey a few years ago it used to be about a tenner for pure, but its gone up since then. As long as its pure I dont think you're getting ripped off badly.
  • Options
    I read somewhere (most likely Erowid) that taking K has the effect of 'narrowing your auditory bandwidth', so if you are in to the music you may find your enjoyment is lessened, and there were also warnings about the effect on your motor skills.
  • Options
    with peope i hang around with standard price is £20 a gram.

as for clubbing and ket, doing little bumps through the night can be fun, just enough so that where your visions goes a bit where everything seems more real and more 3D if that's possible.

as a general rule though, ket and clubbign do not mix well together. all too easy to doo a bit too much and end up monging for a while in a corner cos you can't dance.

amsuing potting the people on ket legs, where everything goes a bit light and bouncy. where the gorund feels sorta spongey.
  • Options
    Of course its a little like saying how long a piece of string is, you can really never tell completely if a powder is pure. Unless you cook it down yourself.

Also z0ma you really shouldnt ever drink while using ket, so if you did want to have a beer at the event then you cant.
  • Options
    Of course its a little like saying how long a piece of string is, you can really never tell completely if a powder is pure. Unless you cook it down yourself.

someone i know who takes it always talks about 'boiling it off' :confused:

what is this process?
  • Options
    I wouldnt bloody boil the stuff! Thats maddness.

Basically the best way of doing it is the most time consuming, pour it out onto a dish and then leave above a radiator or similar.

The water will evaporate and you'll be left with the crystals of ket.

However the process can be speeded up by putting it in a warm (NOT hot) oven in a dish.

Some people even microwave it, but I wouldnt do that.
  • Options
    well thats what he told me :p
  • Options
    Does he seriously boil it? Thats crazy, why would he do that?
  • Options
    10 pills a weekend (well at least when he goes out) since 1989, at work everyday on coke and speed, drinks like a fish....god knows why he does it.

hes told us the story (at great length many times) about the time he took the wrong wrap out of his draw and ended up on K when he thought he was caining coke :eek2:
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    Some people even microwave it, but I wouldnt do that.

That's what we used to do.
    I havn't touched ket in ages - I've enjoyed it a few times but then I've done too much before and I hated it.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    how 'trippy' is K?

in small doses does it provide any euphoric effects and do you 'come down' off of it or does it just fade like with opiates (i know they arent similar but im just using it as an example):confused:
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    Originally posted by Martin_Bashir
    how 'trippy' is K?

in small doses does it provide any euphoric effects and do you 'come down' off of it or does it just fade like with opiates (i know they arent similar but im just using it as an example):confused:

It's definately 'trippy' but it's more like being very pissed than it is tripping on shrooms. I have never felt any euphoric effects off it either.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    effects fade away, not that i know what opiates are like. not a sudden "comedown". unless you k-hole of course and then it's kinda you snap back to reality fomr wheever you've just been. still fucked, but now you're atually aware of things again.

as for how trippy is it, ket is the wierdest drugs i have ever taken. can't really describe what it's like to be honest, different for each person. you entire thought process changes, visual and auditory hallucinations, and god know what else.

if you intend on doing it, do it with someon who's done ti before and with people you trust! and start off with bumps before yo progress onto lines.
  • Options
    oh and like skive said, no euphoric effects for me either.
  • Options
    Actually you tend to have a little 'come up' if there was such a thing.

The heart rate is slightly increased when the drug wears off.

Yes it is trippy, but it depends very much on dose. Its also quite a strong dissasosiative, which can be a little hard to get used to.
  • Options
    indeed. thinsg such as speecha nd thougth are not the easiest things in the world. or moving or really doing much if you get particularly ketamised.
  • Options
    ket is fucking weird
  • Options
    to put it mildly...