Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Transferring

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I have been working at a supermarket for about two years, but started uni this september and transferred to a branch near uni.

I asked the manaher about transferring back over christmas and he said thats when they need me most.

I dont want to lose my job, but i dont wanna stay at uni on my own till the end of jan

:(

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    If you'd asked sooner then you might have got it.

As it is, if they won't transfer you you have to fulfil your contract or resign.
    i did speak to the personell manager about 3 weeks ago. She told me to get in touch with my old store which i did and they will take me back. I then spoke to the manager over a week ago so I've given them over a months notice
    A month's notice isn't always enough, given that they recruit in advance according to how many staff they already have on the books. You changing at the last minute (a month is the last minute) won't help matters.
    they knew i was a student when they took me on though so its not like its come as a great suprise
    I find it's always a bit hit and miss with asking for time off.
    I asked my supervisor the other day if I could have the weekend of the 11th December off and she told me it was too early to ask!
    I asked about christmas at the beginning of November though, just to be sure.
    How far away is your uni from your home? How many days a week do you work?

I just wondered, as I work one day a week at my job, and am there until Christmas eve, and then have to work every sunday after Christmas even though I don't start back to uni until the start of february, so will be going back just for the Sundays. Which I can, because it only takes me an hour and a half to get here.
    its about 70 miles and i work saturdays and wed afternoons. think i will end up leaving if they wont transfer me, and since they still havent got back to me they wont get much notice for that either
    Is it really worth leaving your job over? How easy will it be for you to get another one after Christmas when all the positions are filled by temps who have been kept on?

You're at Brookes right? (I think I remember reading that). We can stay in halls over the Christmas period-I'm just coming back for when I have to work. How about compromise-ask if you can just come in on the Saturday, not the wednesday afternoon, so you can spend most of the week at home, and just go on the Saturday?
    if i came back by train it would cost about £15 to get to oxford and then i'd still have to get to headington
    Ah. Well, twas only a suggestion. Hope you get things sorted.
    thanks anyways. think they've pretty much said yes today though!
    asking and asking finally worked!
    Hi,

I'm a fellow Brookes student! It can be a right pain with transferring. I work for a major supermarket chain and transferred between the Heyford Hill store and the one where I live at home on a dual store contract, and this caused nothing but trouble.

If you can stay where you are then do that, its much easier, as communication in these companies is always poor, and you holidays, pay, benifit entitlements etc always get messed up.

Having said that! don't live your life around your job. I tried doing this in the first year, and its not worth it. Do what will make you happy, if you want to go home then go home. If you do leave, pop back during Jan and come to the job shop in the SU, there are always vacancies posted...

You could explore the possibility of getting a student contract i.e work term time only for next semester. A number of chains will do this, and a a lot will allow you to transfer too.

Hope this helps,

Jon
    D'oh. Didn't see your last post! Glad you've got it sorted!

Jon
    don't live your life around your job. I tried doing this in the first year

are you still working for the same supermarket now though?