Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.
Options

PC(hell) freezes upon insertion of (any)disc in dvd drive

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hi, folks i'm new on the site and this is my first post. I'm sorry if this has been discussed before but i couldn't find anything using search.

Anyways, here goes:

I got a PC and a notebook with WinXP SP2 installed and upon insertion of any(cd or dvd) disc in a dvd drive the machine freezes up and does nothing. If i reboot the machine it works and reads perfectly from the disc.

I was wondering if anyone has encountered this problem before.

I know it's not a hardware prob cos' without sp2 or using linux it works fine.

Thanks in advance for any answers...

Comments

• Options
    Have you tried the miscrosoft Knowledge base?
    Also have you tried uninstalling SP2 to pin point the problem as its probably that, i wonder if theres a "Auto Insert Notification" tick box like there was with windows 98 as i know that used to cause problems
    .matt
  • Options
    i have recently had this problem.
    i bung a cd in and get a screen saying something major has happened and my comp is closing down to avoid damage ...and at the bottom there is ...begining physical memory dump.
    i reeboot and all is well till i stick another cd in.
    it hasn't happened for about a week now and the only thing i have done is run spyware and removed a few found ones ...ran AV scan which found nowt ...deleted a few trial progs from mag cd's and defragged ...not to solve the problem but cos it was due.
    somehow ...it seems to have solved the problem.
    by the way i'm on xp pro and sp2 installed.
  • Options
    should have kept my gob shut ...its just started happening again!
  • Options
    Originally posted by BritJames
    when you put the CD in, try holding down the shift key whilst the tray closes, and then for 5 seconds after this.

Then try to access the disc in the normal way.

What happens when you do this? It may that you want to turn off autoplay function - but we'll come to that when we're discovered what happens with the above method.
    autoplay function or as its better known "Auto Insert Notification" haha yes im being an ass
    .matt
  • Options
    its ok i was just being an ass too
    .matt
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    Someone I know had this too... The weird thing is, it always froze if he put a CD or DVD in the reader, or if he put a DVD in the recorder drive, but it never froze if he put a CD in the recorder... :confused:
  • Options
    autorun

Well the problem with sp2 is that i got some windows with it included so i can't get rid of it...

about the autorun: sometimes this works sometimes it doesn't. however there doesn't seem to be a similar function in xp for the disabling of autorun unless u use the tweakui powertoy or can be bothered to do this manually, although i doubt it...