Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

working/volunteering in Italy

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hi guys,

Ok...so after a long, horrible first year and half of first term of 2nd year I have "suspended my studies" at university. The plan is that I take the year off until October to recover (i suffer from depression and it got to the point where I had taken 5 overdoses this month) and go back and start 2nd year again next year if I decide I still want to.

In the meantime I really want to keep up my languages (I was/am doing French and Italian at Bristol), I got a 1st in Italian last year and I would really like to go to Italy for my year off, at least for a few months, to work or volunteer. I'm really struggling to find any organisations that make this easy though. Anyone got any links/experience/general advice on how I could do this?

The alternative is just turning up and trying to find something once I'm there but I'm one of those people who prefers having things properly planned before leaving home, so I'd quite like to sort something out whilst over here.

Any help greatly appreciated!
Thanks, Caz x

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    first of all it might help to check out this page and
    this one

Another selection of European job finding sites:

www.capcampus.com
    www.devnetjobs.org/
    www.eurojobs.com
    http://europa.eu.int/jobs/eures
    www.worldstudent.com/uk

[this one
    has a few italian opportunites!(not sure what their expiry date is tho!)
    There are loads of opportunites out there and I guess its all about finding the right one for you. Hope these help
    You could look at doing European Voluntary Service (EVS)

They have lots of placements in Italy. You get all expenses paid, plus pocket money. It's funded by the EU.

EVS
    Thanks for the tips!

I'm looking into doing EVS now...well I've emailed the local coordinator about it but had no reply, and they're not answering their phones either, grrr! Hopefully I'll be able to start applying soon and will see what happens. If I get a placement then I'll do that and then try and find a job for after when I'm out there.

I'm all excited about moving to Italy now!