Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Filling out the UCAS application

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
I apologize for my many threads recently, it's just that I don't want to annoy the British Council guy too much :(

I am filling out my disability/special needs field on the online application. And I was wondering if I should mention having Psoriasis and Arthritis, even if it won't affect anything?
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Originally posted by Jacqueline the Ripper
    I am filling out my disability/special needs field on the online application. And I was wondering if I should mention having Psoriasis and Arthritis, even if it won't affect anything?
    If it won't affect your studies, no. What does it say on the form?
    It gives an option of "You have a disability that cannot be seen, for example diabetes, epilepsy or a heart condition". So to this I will say yes, being that I have diabetes. Though does this include the two others?
    I mean the psoriasis, is pretty irelevant. Though the arthritis could flare up and make it difficult for me to go to lessons (or move, in general).
    Yes then. It shouldn't affect your application - it's probably just to ensure equal opportunities or some such.
    Shall I in the field where I ask to explain then just write something along the lines of "My conditions in question are Diabetes (type 1) and Psoriatic Arthritis. As long as both of these conditions are well-regulated and under control, they shouldn't make a difference though"?
    Shall I in the field where I ask to explain then just write something along the lines of "My conditions in question are Diabetes (type 1) and Psoriatic Arthritis. As long as both of these conditions are well-regulated and under control, they shouldn't make a difference though"?
    All you need to put is the condition - you don't need to justify yourself. They won't be used as the basis of deciding whether you get an offer or not. I think it would matter more if you were in a wheelchair and were applying for medicine or engineering, but for arts courses it wont matter.

Just put: "Type 1 diabetes mellitus, Psoriasis"
    They're not asking for your medical history. If in doubt, give UCAS a ring on +44 870 1122211 :)
    Thanks for your help :)
    as far as i'm aware, they're only asking so they know how many potential students they need to make extra provisions for, and for equal opportunities.

for example, if they knew that they were getting 100 students with dyslexia, and 25 wheelchair-bound students, they would know how much to put aside for the disabilities fund.

that's what i've been told, anyway.

so, on that basis, i would probably just put down the diabetes and arthritis.
    Another question now...
    They want my job title.

Basically I go to a real estate agent once a week (or whenever the other girls can't make it) and copy prospects for them, frank and mail letters, as well as other trivial stuff like that.
    We call it a "piccoline" here, what is it called in English?
    Another question now...
    They want my job title.

Basically I go to a real estate agent once a week (or whenever the other girls can't make it) and copy prospects for them, frank and mail letters, as well as other trivial stuff like that.
    We call it a "piccoline" here, what is it called in English?

administration assistant, probably.
    Doesn't it sound way too posh for what it is?
    Doesn't it sound way too posh for what it is?

that's the english way. we don't have bin men any more, we have refuse collectors and recycling technicians.

no one wants to do a job where their title is 'office skivvy', even if that's essentially what they are ;)
    As you say :)

(You weren't the only one to come up with such a posh title. So I guess it really is like that)
    New question.
    The courses.
    Do they need to be in some kind of order? Alphabetical?

Also, what are the pros and cons of joint honours?
    It will tell you what order they have to be in.

I think it is in order of UCAS code, but I can't remember. It should tell you in the form notes.

The pros of joint honours is that your workload is more varied and more stimulating, it isn;t all the same subject or theme.

the cons are that you can't go into the subject as deeply, and you are more restricted in module choice in years two and three.

I did joint honours, and I would recommend it most highly.
    i have sroriasis, and i didnt mention it...

mention things that affect day to day life ie diabetes
    Originally posted by wheresmyplacebo
    i have sroriasis, and i didnt mention it...

mention things that affect day to day life ie diabetes
    Hence the psoriatic arthritis thing.
    Originally posted by Kermit
    It will tell you what order they have to be in.

I think it is in order of UCAS code, but I can't remember. It should tell you in the form notes.

The pros of joint honours is that your workload is more varied and more stimulating, it isn;t all the same subject or theme.

the cons are that you can't go into the subject as deeply, and you are more restricted in module choice in years two and three.

I did joint honours, and I would recommend it most highly.

The course in questios is International Relations or International Relations and history.
    I am more interested in the straight IR, but there are less applicants compared to offered spaces on the IR + His, which would enhance my chances at a university I really really want to go to.
    If you don't really want to do History then don't, to be quite honest. If you're only choosing it to make it "easier" to get on then that's not a good idea.

IR by itself? You have my utmost sympathy:p
    I took IR by itself :)

Figured that if I am meant to get in, then I will. Even if there is only space per 1000 applicants. Or something.

Also I have finally decided on my 6 uni options.
    Bristol, Edinburgh, LSE, Manchester, Sheffield and Warwick.
    All for either Politics or International Relations. A mix of those or in the case of Warwick Politics and International Studies.

I am so excited :hyper:
    Even though I fear that I have aimed too high :nervous:
    I doubt you've aimed too high, though UCAS always used to advise applying for one uni slightly below your academic level in case you fuck it all up.

But yeah.

IR. Could be worse: could be IPE *shudders*
    To be honest it is only a couple of unis there that I am really interested in. If I won't get in to those then I doubt I'll go to study in Britain at all.
    So yeah, it is not a matter of me having to study. As if I won't get in, then I'll take a gap year or five.

Now, another question.
    Am I meant to paste the reference into my application?
    I get the space to do so. It just seems ilogical, as everyone could write a fake reference. Is the referee not involved in any part of the application sending?
    do you mean the job references on the 3rd page? If so, then they advise you not to put anything down if its only a part-time job, unless its relevent to the courses you're applying for.
    Originally posted by scytherchick
    do you mean the job references on the 3rd page? If so, then they advise you not to put anything down if its only a part-time job, unless its relevent to the courses you're applying for.

Are you sure?

As far as I understood they want to know of paid work in the special field (don't know what page), and then of work relevant to the course in the PS.
    I was told in my school that if you only do part time work unrelated to your chosen course, ie "sales advisor" in a clothes shop then don't put it down. I did anyway though, because I was a key holder and that demonstrated certain managerial resonsibility. This is on page 3 of the UCAS form.
    I wouldnt worry too much about it, because the admissions people are more interested in why you want to do the course, your hobbies and interests outside school and the like. Any work experience (paid or unpaid) directly related to your course goes into your personal statement.
    Hope that helped a bit?
    You should come to manchester :yes:
    Originally posted by Doofay
    You should come to manchester :yes:

If they will accept me :p
    re: your questions

I was working part-time last year and put this down on my application form as did most people I studied with. The tutors never told us to do any different and it is the same information on my CV. It might be worth checking this.

scytherchick, your right about emphasising responsibilities. It also shows maturity, independance and personal finance skills. It never hurts to show that on a UCAS form.
    Is it a requirement that the teachers write down predicted grades in the reference? Mine have not done that, as it is not custom to hand out predicted grades here. If I sent it off as it is, would they then straight decline my application if they needed the grades, or would they contact me first to get hold of such grades?
    generally unis send you an offer based on your predicted grades... your references will have to be spectacular if not!
    Phoned up two of the universities today, and apparently it is necessary.