Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.
Options

Rome!

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
Going from the 25th to the 29th. And I was wondering if anyone had any tips and reccomendations of where to go, what to do?
Practical tips?
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    I’m going in Feb for school trip so can’t help really, my brother went in the summer though and liked it. I remember him saying to avoid eating and stuff in the really touristy parts though as you can get ripped off there, pretty obvious though. With school I think our teacher we’re staying somewhere cheap in the centre so we don’t have to travel in each day (we’re doing a week in Italy, just 2 days in Rome I think). Anyway hope ya have a good time there! :)
  • Options
    Yeah got told that they double the price if you sit down and eat or something totally weird like that.

I am so nervous though. Don't know any Italian, and it's not even sure that my friend and I will be on the same plane.
  • Options
    take a dust mask.

The traffic in Rome is horrific.
  • Options
    Watch out for the scooters...they are everywhere! Like Kermit said the traffic is mental, you take your life in your own hands when you cross the road.

All the main attractions like the Coloseum, trevi fountain (loads of pickpockets there imparticular) , pantheon are in walking distance of each other. I took my son there when he was 3, and all the buses and metro's were on strike for the day we spent there so we walked everywhere, which is just as well as I think we would have missed loads of stuff otherwise. Lots of the museums are free to get in and they all have english translations so you know what you are looking at.

Have a wicked time, Rome is really beautiful and I want to go back!!
  • Options
    Traffic is a nightmare, but Rome is actually a nice city underneath the modern developments.

The Colosseum was diappointing for me, but the Vatican is well worth visiting, although it is usually packed. The Sistine chapel and all that malarkey.

You can get 'real' Italian food as well, which is nice.
  • Options
    I went to Rome this August for 3 and a half days and I loved it! We stayed in a really good clean and central hostel called 'The Beehive'. They gave us loads of information about local attractions and places to eat. We went to the collesium (took quite a while to get in though and I think it cost about 10 euro's each) Its really good if you're interested in the history of Rome and it holds a lot of interesting stories. Like others have said, the traffic is really bad and you have to be carefull crossing the roads. Trevi fountain was really pretty and as expected, was extrememly busy. There is a little restaurant close by which has over 100 pasta sishes on their menu! Really delicious food. I agree that some touristy places with restaurants can rip you off but then others can give you a good deal too such as pizza/pasta, a side salad, drink and some icecream for around 8 euros and the food will be nice.

Vatican City is really gorgeous but if you wanna go inside the chapel thingy you have to dress well. You're not allowed to wear skirts or low cut tops and it will take forever to get in. I didnt manage to see it as I was wearing innapropriate clothing!

One thing that you should certainly try is the icecream. Absolutely delicious!!! Have some at ever chance that you get and there isnt anything like it anywhere else.

The buildings and architecture is absolutely breathtaking. There was one building in particular that I fell in love with and had to walk past it several times a day. I dont know what its called but its pretty central and its the biggest building I have ever seen (not height-wise) Its a huge white building with spectacular statues on the outside and there are lots of stairs leading up to the entrance. There are 2 fountains either side of the bottom of the stairs. Inside is a museum of some sort and its free to get it. There are guards about quite a lot of the time and they disallow you to sit down on the steps and sometimes next to or on the fountains.

Its avery good idea to take the Lonely Planet Guide book to Rome as it is very informative and lists places depending on what sort of budget you're on.

A little tip also, if you're into coffee, ask for a caffe latte and not just a latte otherwise they would just give you a glass or cup of warm frothy milk as latte means 'with milk'.

If I were you, I'd take a camera cos there is always stuff around every corner to take photos of. I didnt take one and I wish that I had cos I really loved Rome. I also wanted to write a diary too so I could remember everything that I had done.

If you want anymore info, just PM me :)
  • Options
    Wow thanks so much to everyone :)

I was wondering if anyone knew about the prices of Italian brands and designers?

Would Diesel be cheaper or more expensive than in the rest of Europe?
    And what about Gucci, Prada, Versace etc?

If it's possible I'd really like an answer within tomorrow. Thanks :)
  • Options
    Originally posted by KinkyBoots
    The buildings and architecture is absolutely breathtaking. There was one building in particular that I fell in love with and had to walk past it several times a day. I dont know what its called but its pretty central and its the biggest building I have ever seen (not height-wise) Its a huge white building with spectacular statues on the outside and there are lots of stairs leading up to the entrance. There are 2 fountains either side of the bottom of the stairs. Inside is a museum of some sort and its free to get it. There are guards about quite a lot of the time and they disallow you to sit down on the steps and sometimes next to or on the fountains.

I know the one!! I have pics of it! We got told off by the guards as my friend had a can of coke in her hand, we didn't realise it could trash the marble if she accidently spilt some...oops. Very beautiful building though
  • Options
    Originally posted by Jacqueline the Ripper
    Wow thanks so much to everyone :)

I was wondering if anyone knew about the prices of Italian brands and designers?

Would Diesel be cheaper or more expensive than in the rest of Europe?
    And what about Gucci, Prada, Versace etc?

If it's possible I'd really like an answer within tomorrow. Thanks :)

It s depends by the shops!

Since we have euro, here in italy the prices grow up, but rome it s a big city.

for my personal experience if u have time to look around you will find something cheaper.

I live near MIlan and i went to rome 5/6 times & I ll always find stuff cheaper than North Italy.

have fun in Italy! :p
  • Options
    How much do a regular pair of Diesel cost approximately?
  • Options
    Originally posted by Joolyknockers
    I know the one!! I have pics of it! We got told off by the guards as my friend had a can of coke in her hand, we didn't realise it could trash the marble if she accidently spilt some...oops. Very beautiful building though

Yeah they were really strict about where you could sit and what you could do. They wouldnt let us sit by the fountains during the day time but we managed to get a sit down in the evening when the guards werent about.

Jaqu, when I went to Rome there were sales in EVERY shop! Like 50% off and stuff. If I had the money I would have deffinatley got loads of stuff! I did buy a little pair of sandals tho cos mine were giving me hell!

Have a great time, you'll love it! I'd definately go again :D
  • Options
    Originally posted by Jacqueline the Ripper
    How much do a regular pair of Diesel cost approximately?

so you love diesel hein?
    here near milan about 120/150€ it s depends by the offer and the shops

I don t know if this is a good price for you

In rome there are a lot of shops you must look around;) :D

As I tell U, i think rome it s cheaper than milan (for my personal xperince)

visit shops in "corso babbuino"!

cheers
  • Options
    Thanks! Keep all the tips and suggestions coming... :)